Options

Sky + in Apartments

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i say again ....... sky have not given any undertaking to support skyscr in future receivers. to install assuming they will is very foolish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is fairly obvious the johanssen and teldis versions are in fact the same device.
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    it is fairly obvious the johanssen and teldis versions are in fact the same device.
    You seem quite surprised by this. Re-badging happens everywhere!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. it was you who claimed otherwise. im just saying it is obvious.

so we have a single supply source for a special type multiswitch that currently supports digiboxes with skyscr but sky have not guaranteed to put skyscr on all future digiboxes
    !
    under these circumstances to provide them as standard installation is professionally incompetent.

i agree they are a nice solution for adding onto an existing installation.
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. it was you who claimed otherwise.
    I'd like you to retract that.
    under these circumstances to provide them as standard installation is professionally incompetent.

i agree they are a nice solution for adding onto an existing installation.
    Which is what we've been saying since the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no.

installing with no guarantee of skyscr is bad. at least the risk of doing so should be explained to clients.

ive made this point over and over and over again. bearing in mind sky's past behaviour - and therefore likely future behaviour - what good reason is there to believe skyscr will be standard on future digiboxes ?

if sky gave such an undertaking then id say fine! but they have not ....

.... this new type device has limited supply ..... suggesting a very small production batch .... and is obviously possible only becuase of sky's direct cooperation. so i think johannsen and dastv should come clean and explain exactly what is going on with this "promotion". ie a very long advert repackaged as a ds thread.

you got your free publicity for das andy. would you now like to tell us just what is going on, or didnt they tell you ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... andydas has repeatedly used the phrase "without having to enter dwellings". wierdly worded. until i discovered he must have read this:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/propertymanagers/documents/What_Satellite_Pro_Tips_January_2011.pdf

also "the switch does not need to be powered" is from same article !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Our new Johansson multi-switch product line leverages Entropic's industry-proven CSS silicon to enable a cost-effective 'one-size-fits-all' system for DBS operator and free-to-air market installations," said Joost Verbrugge, general manager, Unitron Group

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/entropic-communications-enables-unitron-groups-new-johansson-multi-switch-to-simplify-european-satellite-market-installations-2012-06-06

this is not true for uk since it depends entirely on skyscr ! however, i can see there is some fair amount of marketing going on .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i stand by my analysis of this situation as it currently affects smatv installs in uk.

if andydas believes i have been unnecessarily personally offensive then by all means complain formally if u think that is warranted.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We now have a solution for ALL customers who live in apartments that cannot get PVR functionality due to having 1 cable linking the communal multiswitch to the residents apartment.

This thread is now very long and there is a question I have. I understant the SCR and SkYSCR are two different things and. Excuse me for quoting you out of full context.

Does a SKYSCR installation prevent a freesat install) Not fsfs) or a Foxsat SCR install?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satcr also called unicable is the standard system used to channelise sat multiplexes between the dish and sat receivers on single cable. as used on european type receivers. the lnb antenna needs to be a new type with extra chips in. the receiver needs no new hardware but does need the appropriate software.

skyscr uses same principle but different protocols so not compatible. originally available only via fitting the global mdu unit to an existing multiswitch system.

the new type of multiswitch will either take input from a standard quattro antenna as a "main multiswitch", or can be added onto an already installed system. each output can either

1 feed one satellite tuner down a single endpoint drop cable. as per standard multiswitch.

2. feed 3 out of a possible 4 skyscr channels down a single cable. so one apartment can have full sky plus and an extra single tuner sky receiver on multiroom.

3 feed unlimited satscr channels to a compatible non sky receiver. including those freesat dual tuner models that have it. some linux receivers have 3 tuners .......

....... u can have whichever mode on any output and the multiswitch autoselects .....but obviously only one mode on any output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... the new type switch also has passive terrestrial. so adding freeview means an extra aerial distribution amplifier with around 30 dB gain. then u use a triplexed wallplate in apartment as usal ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... using the new switch also requires diode protected cable splitters on sat inputs. since youre parallelling several sat tuners with dc volts outputs ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... you could not have sky and freesat from one output. you can have each in single tuner mode if you have 2 drop cables from 2 multiswitch outlets. on any type of multiswitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... in theory there is not much difficulty in masking off the 3 fixed skyscr channels. then letting the remaining satcr channels also use the same outlet. so u cd have both systems together. but almost nobody wd want that so presumably it was not worth writing the software ......
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... in theory there is not much difficulty in masking off the 3 fixed skyscr channels. then letting the remaining satcr channels also use the same outlet. so u cd have both systems together. but almost nobody wd want that so presumably it was not worth writing the software ......

I don't surpose it would work at all if you started out with a unicable LNB?

p.s. I have a unicable LNB with works well with my Foxsat hdr. I was just musing if I ever rented an appartment (I wont) with skscr would I have to have Sky if I did not just want freeview. I think thats a yes without extra software support in the Foxsat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a unicable lnb will not work with sky receivers.

apartment smatv is usually standard system 1 or 2 drop cables. if 2 sat sockets in apartment then u can have either sky+ or freeview+ or one of each on single tuners only. this does not involve either version of single cable protocols. just the standard 22khz / 13-18v as found on ALL sat receivers.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    a unicable lnb will not work with sky receivers.

Not entirely true, the Pace HD boxes will do so - however, Sky weren't happy with the reliability of Unicable (as Humax aren't either) so it wasn't added to any of the other boxes.

apartment smatv is usually standard system 1 or 2 drop cables. if 2 sat sockets in apartment then u can have either sky+ or freeview+ or one of each on single tuners only. this does not involve either version of single cable protocols. just the standard 22khz / 13-18v as found on ALL sat receivers.

Yes, there are plenty of easy and reliable ways for apartments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sky could have used satcr but did not most likely for commercial reasons. to "lock out " freesat.

the digibox menu system is identical across all brands and i dont believe pace ever offered satcr. what is certainly true is the pace pvr3 was the only hd receiver to have skyscr originally. until this latest marketing push where it seems to have suddenly appesared as an option on all current twin tuner digiboxes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi all just reading the posts regarding the SCR switches.

I had a few comments regarding them.

I used several in a block recently and found them to be pretty good on the whole.
    There was one concern tho, If your running a four wire system they are great if youre running a five wire system you will need to run a tapped aerial system along side it .

The reason being that the SCR switches eat up the db levels as they pass through the switch, i was pumping 80db into the switch, out of the last port is was getting 42db UHF.

Also there is a guide with the switches that give you a procedure to follow whilst connectiona nd setting up the box. its says that the box should be left for 5 mins before switching back on.
    IT MEANS 5 MINS. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hav just bumped this old thread, so that folks can see a previous discussion about sky compatibility with smatv ...... ref the new skyQ system, in ''sky'' section ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see i correctly predicted that sky would dis the scr system, about 4 years ago, i'd forgotten i said that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having bumped this old thread, suppose i'd better say that, current multiswitches specificalky designed specially for uk include dscr for full skyQ, as well as all the previous legacy modes. On existing smatv in apartment blocks - including older ''one cable per flat'' systems - sky will pay a subsidy towards fitting these newer switches, using the existing cabling, see ''apartments'' on sky website .......