Options

Abatis HFD - Antivirus / anti crypto locker software

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I work for a small company - maybe 40 PCs / laptops in the entire place.

The bosses friend is trying to sell us some AV software that doesn't operate like normal AV (which he says is becoming redundant because traditional AV cant keep on top of the millions of viruses created each day). He says this stops anything latching onto the hard drives or something - I don't get it, though i smell bullshit.

Has anyone heard of this software? A quick google reveals they won an award for innovation in 2015, and had some reputable companies using it - but there are hardly any articles about this miracle cure (the odd press release here and there) and no reviews about it.

Abatis HDF is a host based software only solution that is implemented as a kernel driver on Windows platforms. It intercepts and mediates file write access to the computer’s permanent storage e.g. local hard disk, network shares and removable storage devices such as USB stick and external disk. It is designed to help enforce system and file integrity without complex management overheads. It achieves this security objective by exercising robust access control over the writing of executable files and user-defined files (protected files) to a computer. It protects against unauthorised modification and denies unauthorised write operations. While HDF blocks unwanted executables by default, the HDF system administration can define files for integrity protection according to the computer’s roles.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of them, and I have a few clients in the infosecurity arena. From their tiny social media footprint it looks like not many other people have heard of them, either.

I'm not sure of the tech swagger but looking at comments from folk on t'internet I'd be wary.