Rugby League 2014

Comments

• misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Bath have confirmed the signing of Sam Burgess from Sydney and he will switch codes to union

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26221864

* reading the report, I was surprised to find that the South Sydney Rabbitohs main shareholder is Russell Crowe..

It's a blow and I wonder whether he will leave before October. I'm doubtful he can play week in week out @ the intensity the NRL requires when he already has his mind set on the Union World Cup.

Burgess was clearly talking to Bath/RFU months ago and I am sick of the likes of Andy Farrell who seem hellbent on trying to convince the best of RL to switch to Union.

I dont think Burgess has treated the Rabbitohs with much respect considering what they have done for him and his family yet he was talking to RU before Bath ever talked to the Rabbitohs.

I have read comments from the likes of Noble, Mcnamara and others who seem to think this is a good thing and RL should be happy that RU wants the sports players but thats absurd.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    If I'm going to follow this game I need a team to support....

I come from Bury which never had a rugby league team......Bury, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Preston.....soccer towns !

The nearest geographically would be Rochdale Hornets but they're not in the top division and anyway, no one wants to support their nearest neighbours.......particularly as now that Bury have declined in football we have to reckon Rochdale as our local rivals, whereas it always Bolton when I was growing up. We never play Bolton nowadays, we're in different football universes

So......Salford looks the best bet

It adjoins Bury to the south and has never had any sporting rivalry. Moreover I remember a few years ago it was mooted that Salford might start playing at Gigg Lane when they had some ground issues (they never did !)

Finally I've read that Salford has been bought by Marwan Koukash.....horse racing fans will know Marwan as 'the good doctor' who has a string of horses with northern trainers and they run in his grey silks. He seems like a great bloke....

So Salford it is

Are they any good ?.......:blush:

Come on you......er, Salford !

Come on you reds. Salford Red Devils. Could make top 8 play offs this year. Good coach in Brian Noble
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I know. I'm dreading it. Especially when Sir Kevin calls it a day. I may cry at his retirement game. He's been the greatest Leeds player of all time, and I've been lucky enough to watch him.

He's getting close to John Holmes as the greatest every Leeds player for me ;) But there's an awful lot of names fighting for that accolade over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    He's getting close to John Holmes as the greatest every Leeds player for me ;) But there's an awful lot of names fighting for that accolade over the years.

It really is hard when it comes to deciding your best player or XIII

Last year I was asked to pick my all time Hull KR team with subs for a book, took me forever and a day to decide. So difficult
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really is hard when it comes to deciding your best player or XIII

Last year I was asked to pick my all time Hull KR team with subs for a book, took me forever and a day to decide. So difficult

Absolutely, it's a gut reaction and, obviously for a lot of people, it goes on who they've seen play. I was (very) lucky to see John Holmes at the end of his Leeds career and even then he stood head and shoulders above a lot of the far younger players around the league at that time. In Alliance team matches he was simply untouchable (as Chris Arkright found out to his cost in the 1988 Alliance Challenge Cup Final at Headingley in front of a 3,000+ crowd!).

Kevin Sinfield will definitely go down as one of the greatest Leeds players of all time but you could easily add more than two dozen names to that list - Lewis Jones, Mick Shoebottom, Arthur Clues, Ellery Hanley (even though in the twilight of his career), Garry Schofield, John Atkinson, Alan Smith, Steve Pitchford, David Ward, Bob Haigh, Eric Grothe (despite being an Aussie!), Eric Harris, Bert Cook, David Ward, Syd Hynes (whose eldest son I went to school with), Les Dyl, Vic Hay, Ken Thornett and that's just for starters.
    Then you get to the squad of the last 10 years of which at least half a dozen names will be added to that list, Sinfield, Peacock, Burrow, McGuire, Hall, Jones-Buchanan. The list could go on and on :D

I think what makes the current Leeds squad stand out, as it has in the past, is that the majority are either home grown talent or have come from elsewhere but only ever played for Leeds.
    John Holmes' record for the club is one that few players will come close to beating, Sinfield is going to be one of the few who might make it.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they ever show 'live' games at the weekend or is it just Thursday or Friday(both nights this week) ?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come on you reds. Salford Red Devils. Could make top 8 play offs this year. Good coach in Brian Noble

cheers Darren......I'm not so sure about these marketing names

Does anyone actually use them ?

Is red devils just a nickname or the actual name of the team ....:o

They'll always be Salford to me !
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salford's nickname 'The Red Devils' was stolen by Man Ure! They had it first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tso wrote: »
    Do they ever show 'live' games at the weekend or is it just Thursday or Friday(both nights this week) ?

This season mainly Thurs and Fri but there will be some Saturday night games. I think the first is Sat 22nd March but that is mainly because Catalans are on. All Catalans home games are shown live in France on a Saturday tea time.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/rugby-league-on-sky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This season mainly Thurs and Fri but there will be some Saturday night games. I think the first is Sat 22nd March but that is mainly because Catalans are on. All Catalans home games are shown live in France on a Saturday tea time.

Cheers.Will have to make the effort to watch some seeing as im playing a couple of games(be nice to put faces to names;-))
    Friday i will stick it on with the BDO Darts on internet(Thursday its Darts + Europa League)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats that SL show on the BBC like ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like Match of the Day for rugby league. Highlights of the games shown on Sky and the tries from the other matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Match of the Day for rugby league. Highlights of the games shown on Sky and the tries from the other matches.

Cheers.I will give it a watch:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty good and, as Darren said, it's a highlights catch up with a bit of upcoming news. Harry Gration (who was the regular presenter) has been a respected Rugby League commentator for many years and generally well thought of within the sport (imo). Tanya Arnold also has a pretty good reputation, she took over from Harry a couple of years ago.

The show usually has good studio guests as well and doesn't shy away from controversy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty good and, as Darren said, it's a highlights catch up with a bit of upcoming news. However, Harry Gration the presenter has been a respected Rugby League commentator for many years and generally well thought of within the sport (imo). The show usually has good studio guests as well and doesn't shy away from controversy.

Cheers.Watching it now:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers.Watching it now:)

Nps, I edited my previous as Tanya Arnold took over presenting the show from Harry a couple of years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nps, I edited my previous as Tanya Arnold took over presenting the show from Harry a couple of years ago.

Sat next to Harry at a game once. Lovely man, loves and I mean LOVES, his rugby league. Left tv for a time to be their press officer of course
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And when the new Sky Sports TV deal kicks in, all Catalan home games on a Saturday evening will be shown live and in full on the red button.
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    the second round of the challenge cup kicks off this weekend
    The draw in full is as follows:

Oulton or West Hull v Shaw Cross or Thatto Heath
    Rochdale Mayfield v Wigan St Patricks
    Great Britain Police v British Army
    Hull Dockers v Siddal
    East Leeds v Leeds Metropolitan University
    Kells v Leigh Miners
    Walney Central v Egremont Rangers
    South West London Chargers v Saddleworth Rangers or Milford Marlins
    Normanton Knights v Royal Air Force
    Pilkington Recs v Myton Warriors
    Wath Brow Hornets v Elland

The second round tie will be played over the weekend of February 22-23.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tonypennys wrote: »
    the second round of the challenge cup kicks off this weekend
    The draw in full is as follows:

Oulton or West Hull v Shaw Cross or Thatto Heath
    Rochdale Mayfield v Wigan St Patricks
    Great Britain Police v British Army
    Hull Dockers v Siddal
    East Leeds v Leeds Metropolitan University
    Kells v Leigh Miners
    Walney Central v Egremont Rangers
    South West London Chargers v Saddleworth Rangers or Milford Marlins
    Normanton Knights v Royal Air Force
    Pilkington Recs v Myton Warriors
    Wath Brow Hornets v Elland

The second round tie will be played over the weekend of February 22-23.

And only 2 ( possibly 1 ) Hull side in it. No East Hull or Skirlaugh :(
  • tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    And only 2 ( possibly 1 ) Hull side in it. No East Hull or Skirlaugh :(

West hull won so will play thatto heath

East hull lost 24-22 to Myton warriors and Skirlaugh lost 16-10 to Rochdale Mayfield in the first round
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sat next to Harry at a game once. Lovely man, loves and I mean LOVES, his rugby league. Left tv for a time to be their press officer of course

He is indeed a very nice man, he gave out the prizes at my school leaving do back in 1988 and I've met him again over the years when I was a journalist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a Hull KR fan but I really hope tonight the St Helens and Hull FC fans give Steve Prescott a fitting tribute in the first leg of the Steve Prescott Cup. The man was a true hero and legend.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What chances Wigan against the Roosters. 16 point start on the handicap seems quite big