Options

Golf 2014

Comments

• Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this course near an airfield or is some bugger just flying overhead to annoy us?? Watched about half an hour and I am hearing more engine noise than actual commentary ...>:(
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robbie fowler has managed to get himself a place in the open according to Peter allis

This is the first hoylake open for me as I was working abroad in 2006 and didn't see any of it
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really strange. Just looked at the BBC red button, and they are showing total strokes played for golfers mid round, rather than holes played

Instead of 14, 2 under it shows
    46, 2 under.

Crazy.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my money on Fowler, Speith, Stenson and Gallagher.

All doing ok so far
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got my money on Fowler, Speith, Stenson and Gallagher.

All doing ok so far

Poulter and Zach Johnston, bad start for poulter with his cyst on a wrist which I am sure he will blame
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Beginning to regret my £2 ew on Spieth. Too many loose shots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mcilroy leads it's not Friday though
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not going to get carried away but I think there's a good chance Rory's going run away with this. 3rd major could well be his here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Not going to get carried away but I think there's a good chance Rory's going run away with this. 3rd major could well be his here.

I know you are a big fan I was actually expecting you along in a sec:D

He won't run away with it and probably won't win
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Poulter and Zach Johnston, bad start for poulter with his cyst on a wrist which I am sure he will blame

He's pulling it back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I know you are a big fan I was actually expecting you along in a sec:D

He won't run away with it and probably won't win

I'm not a big fan, but I do believe he's a unbelievably good player though. Capable of winning a lot of majors.

The weather forecast is meant to be pretty rough for the weekend, conditions he often struggles in, so we'll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan, but I do believe he's a unbelievably good player though. Capable of winning a lot of majors.

The weather forecast is meant to be pretty rough for the weekend, conditions he often struggles in, so we'll see.

Yes if the weather was calm you would favour him, but he is not a great bad weather or even wind player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Singleton has parred the first 8. Go on, son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good round for Garcia but there is always a disastrous round in there, usually the Sunday
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you are by even suggesting it :)
    Bad weather on way which may then come down to the luck of when your tee time is.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Has been in the lead on Thursday before and blown up. Can't see him winning if the wind gets up and the conditions get firmer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Els imploded on the first hole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Beeb feed:

"Someone has just informed me that this season, Rory McIlroy is 43 under for his first rounds and 11 over for his second rounds. Bizarre"

Which means he'll probably play a blinder tomorrow. :p
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be you have an 80% chance of playing a shot out of the heavy looking fairway rough and about 20% out of a fairway bunker - can't help feeling that should be the other way round though as you may only miss by fractions and end up dead ...

Looks like Tiger is pumped up for this one but like Rory you can't help thinking a stinker is not too far away. The weather is going to play a massive part in this year's open though I feel - who is going to get the luck of the draw though??
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know from the first 3 rounds who will win in Golf, some big cock ups guarunteed as always and some on even par will storm it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never know from the first 3 rounds who will win in Golf, some big cock ups guarunteed as always and some on even par will storm it.

Rory has the potential to run away with tournaments though. He won both the US Open 2011 and the 2012 USPGA by a massive 8 shots.

I've always wondered if he was under a pressure from a chasing pack he could fold. Remember Tiger winning the 2008 US Open against Rocco Mediate? Does Rory have a major win like that in his locker? In a tight closely fought contest? Because surely he's not going to win every major comfortably, so if squeaky bum time comes does have the mental toughness to dig out of tough situations?

Its an important attribute for me if he's going to get somewhere in the Woods/Nicklaus number of majors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Singleton's finished plus six. Birdied the 10th to go one under, but dropped a lot of shots after that.

Good luck for tomorrow, John.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they never start half the field at the 10th like they do elsewhere?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rory has the potential to run away with tournaments though. He won both the US Open 2011 and the 2012 USPGA by a massive 8 shots.

I've always wondered if he was under a pressure from a chasing pack he could fold. Remember Tiger winning the 2008 US Open against Rocco Mediate? Does Rory have a major win like that in his locker? In a tight closely fought contest? Because surely he's not going to win every major comfortably, so if squeaky bum time comes does have the mental toughness to dig out of tough situations?

Its an important attribute for me if he's going to get somewhere in the Woods/Nicklaus number of majors.

I have said before he won't get near the woods total, he will be in the half a dozen area
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite surprised noones mentioned the camera work on the BBC coverage of the Open. I don't think there's one cameraman on the course capable of successfully following a ball in flight :(.
    I've probably been spoilt as most of the golf I watch is on Sky Sports 4, as that's usually the only place you'll find it, and their camera operators are completely the opposite, making it a pleasure to watch.
    I'm sure someone will be along to "blame it on the light" or something along those lines, but I really think it's more like a lack of talent :(

Rant over, I'll now get back to watching, and playing "spot the ball":D