Options

The 'Hum' in Humax 9200T

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Ok - it makes its little start up hums and clicks as the harddisk does it's stuff, but it used to settle down after 30 seconds or so to virtually silent. Not anymore....it constantly hums until put on standby. It is hugely distracting whilst watching TV. Any thoughts? I bought it in early January. Other than a few of the random freezes, it has been well behaved. Have I discovered the Hum in Humax ? :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I've had mine since November and have not had any "hum" so it sounds like a fault. Do you mean a hum on the sound or is the box itself humming? If it's the box I suppose it could be some vibration, it might be worth standing it on some felt type material to see if that gets rid of it.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    We have had our 9200 since the first day it came out last year, Ours made a humming noise if placed on a wood surface.
    Also, when the box warmed up and expanded, a buzzing sound came from the front left near the lcd screen - this has stopped now, but that was a month or so after we bought it.

Lift the machine up in the air slightly and see if the humming stops, or find out where its coming from, there could be some dust or carpet in the fan, or the Harddisk could be slightly loose due to expansion if its in a warm place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thx - Hum comes from box, not TV sound. It is sat on top of DVD (on standby), which is on top of wood. Will try the cushioning suggestion. If the harddisk is loose, then I guess it goes back to the shop right....don't suppose you can tighten it from ouside of the box can you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Some people have recommended cutting two squash balls in half, and placing one half under each of the 9200's feet. It damps the vibrations, and improves the air flow around the box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    We have ours on mouse mats -- that makes it quieter. The vibration does go through any cabinet it is placed in. Like a speaker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Mouse mats work for me to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    SOUTH wrote:
    Mouse mats work for me to.

Interesting. Mine has also increased its hum level. The hum by the way, comes from the hard disk spinning, which is why it disappears when the unit is put into Standby.

This suggest that the HDD is going out of balance as time goes by - seems very unlikely - not had this problem before with PC HDDs. Could also be that the internal mounting rubbers that support the drive are either getting hard or wearing through.

Phil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    PedroH wrote:
    We have ours on mouse mats -- that makes it quieter. The vibration does go through any cabinet it is placed in. Like a speaker.
    Just to put things into context the PVR 9200T is one of the quietest PVRs around . However there is some vibration from the HDD and this can be amplified by the shelf/box that it is stood on. The best way I have found to almost completely eliminate the hum is to remove the four screws that hold the the HDD's sub-chassis to the main support in the box. These are replaced with double sided sticky pads.
    Of course this should not be done if you are worried about losing ones warranty! Otherwise the sticky fixing is very secure with no need to replace the screws indeed it is possible to turn the box over and the pads still hold the drive in place .

Xpilot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My "Hum" max has hummed since it was bought. One early reviewer said the hard disk ran continuously even on standby.

But as the noise level increases as it boots up, I wonder if the residual hum on standby is actually a fan and not the disk?

Does anyone know the answer. And why did they design it so the disk runs continuously?. The only way to shut it up completeley is to switch off at the back. Presumably then it can't do OTA updates. ....or have I answered my own question?

Incidentally, if that IS the reason, it is energy inefficient as mine was bought Nov 05 and has not had an OTA update yet even though we all know there has been more than one update available on the website. I emailed Humax to ask why no OTA updates applied yet, and if my machine is set to the correct channel (default 42 in my case) but no response yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windy1 I would be suspicious. Your Humax should be quiet. One test is when you put the machine into standby you should hear the disk spin down after about 5 or 10 seconds after it has gone into standby. You will need to put your ear near the unit and make sure there is no other sound in the room for this check. Once the disk is spun down you shouldnt hear anything else. If you do, its either because the disk isnt spun down - a problem, or the fan is the culpret and needs to be either fixed or replaced. By the way, the disk wont spin down if its still recording something in standby. might be worth checking you dont have any timers running. Lets us know how you get on or if this has already been covered!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    windy1 I would be suspicious. Your Humax should be quiet. One test is when you put the machine into standby you should hear the disk spin down after about 5 or 10 seconds after it has gone into standby. You will need to put your ear near the unit and make sure there is no other sound in the room for this check. Once the disk is spun down you shouldnt hear anything else. If you do, its either because the disk isnt spun down - a problem, or the fan is the culpret and needs to be either fixed or replaced. By the way, the disk wont spin down if its still recording something in standby. might be worth checking you dont have any timers running. Lets us know how you get on or if this has already been covered!

And by the way, the fan DOES stop when in standby - just takes a little while before it does as it first has to cool the inside down to a set minimum temperature. If the ambient it too hot, like say when you have the unit in a enclosed cabinet, it may take quite some time.

Phil.
  • Options
    Adrian_KAdrian_K Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I noticed the same thing about my box - used to be silent, not any more. It's not a hum but more of a grinding, but as someone else mentioned - it's purely relative. But it's definately not a vibration of the box/fan.

However, if my pc disk made the same sound I'd be panicking.

I've made a mental note to format / reset when I have no recordings to watch (fat chance really :p ).
    Ok - it makes its little start up hums and clicks as the harddisk does it's stuff, but it used to settle down after 30 seconds or so to virtually silent. Not anymore....it constantly hums until put on standby. ? :D