Options

Amy and Rose

2»

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    And she got her second TV spin-off (SJA, the first was K9 and Company) on the back of that episode. By the way, K9&Co failed because fo a change in BBC1 controller, if you notice, DW itself went on a downward spiral from then on (throughout the 80s) too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »
    RTD succumbs to populism over actually creating good characters.

Bringing one very popualr charactar back for one episode is hardly the end of the world surely? And it also allowed Rose to see that she wasn't the first and that she too could be left behind one day.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD succumbs to populism over actually creating good characters.

So initially you complain that SJ was bland and why would anyone want to bring her back and then when it was pointed out she was very popular you criticise them for being populist! So basically they can't do anything right it seems, not that there is anything wrong (or surprising) about a mainstream TV Show trying to be populist.

Even though the episode itself was a bit uneven I'd say what worked from it was the reunion itself - SJ seeing the Tardis had a huge impact. It was also a key point for Rose as it basically made clear to her that at some point she will also get left behind and restates that the Doctor is not a conventional romantic lead.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Agree with this completely.
    Moffat is not stupid enough to do this sort of sub-plot again.

One of the biggest tragedies of RTD's tenure was that he retro-fitted an unrequited romance between Sarah Jane and The Doctor - one that had not even a whiff of a hint throughout her entire run on the original show.

That Sarah Jane fell in love with the Doc was as absurd as it was unnecessary and forced. When they first met the Doc was a chap in his 50s and she was 20+. Their relationship was more father/daughter at first and this style of relationship persisted even after he became Tom Baker.

The suggestion by RTD that all young female companions fall in love with the Doc was annoying and pathetic. :mad:

Well actually the Doctor was about 800 years and SJS was in her 20s. :D

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I interpret things a different way. There is nothing in School Reunion to suggest SJS was in love with the Doctor. She mentions a 'relationship' to Rose. Well she did have a relationship with the Doctor, a close relationship is a friendship and the 4th and SJ certainly had that. She tells the Doctor he 'was a tough act to follow'. If you had been travelling the universe with an amazing Time Lord, surely even as just friends, and then just dumped back on Earth, surely it would be hard to form a relationship after that?

I think there is a tendency to confuse fancying the Doctor with loving him. Sarah Jane clearly never fancied The Doctor, but she loved him. So I think it is perfectly natural that she would be a little put out at meeting Rose purely because the Doctor just dumped her. I have watched every single episode featuring SJ in the classic series, and whilst there is certainly no suggestion of romance, she is clearly attached to the Doctor and there is nothing to say she isn't in love with him.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Well actually the Doctor was about 800 years and SJS was in her 20s. :D

I think there is a tendency to confuse fancying the Doctor with loving him. Sarah Jane clearly never fancied The Doctor, but she loved him. So I think it is perfectly natural that she would be a little put out at meeting Rose purely because the Doctor just dumped her. I have watched every single episode featuring SJ in the classic series, and whilst there is certainly no suggestion of romance, she is clearly attached to the Doctor and there is nothing to say she isn't in love with him.

And he (both of him) kept her around for quite a long time by his standards, so she must have had a terrible shock when suddenly he and the amazing life they shared just vanished and she was on her own again in the real world.

I can't wait for Masque of Mandragora when it comes out soon, one of my all-time favourites:)