Options

Supergirl [US Pace]

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    They said at the start of Supergirl that they wanted to do a crossover with The Flash so I don't think the fact it's happening in the March 28th episode is for show ratings and more that it's taken them that long to sort out the logistics of filming it. The Flash shoots in Vancouver whereas Supergirl films in LA.

I'm expecting it to be an Earth-2 storyline though rather than the existing The Flash timeline.

The episode is called World's Finest which definitely indicates Earth-2. (World's Finest is a comic with Earth-2 characters).
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    The episode is called World's Finest which definitely indicates Earth-2. (World's Finest is a comic with Earth-2 characters).

It still makes no sense to why Kara said there was only Superman and her who were (Super)Heroes on Earth.

They could use Earth 3 but in the comics that is where all the heroes are evil and vice versa.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    No worse than Doctor Who. "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!" Frankly, modern Who is far worse with this kind of thing. Sure, a species evolve that only moves when being looked at. :D

When they are not being observed by another being, if you mean the Angels.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    It still makes no sense to why Kara said there was only Superman and her who were (Super)Heroes on Earth.
    Either Kara doesn't know about Jay Garrick and his super speed, or she spoke out of context, and meant that her and Clark were the only two alien superheroes on the planet..?
    They could use Earth 3 but in the comics that is where all the heroes are evil and vice versa.
    Earth 4 then? ...or Earth 5? :p
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »

PS: Is Kara's city really called "National City"? Sounds a bit, er, lame?:blush:

And Coast City, Star City, Central City don't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    And Coast City, Star City, Central City don't?
    :D.

At least in DC pretty much everything ever to happen doesn't happen in New York.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's seemingly the main difference between Marvel and DC; Marvel heroes (for the most part) protect in general, whereas DC tend to have designated locations. Batman has Gotham, Flash has Central City (Central to what?), Supergirl has National City, etc...

Surely people with the powers of Superman/Girl and Flash at least are capable of protecting the world, and yet, they're limited to protecting a single city. Why?
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Surely people with the powers of Superman/Girl and Flash at least are capable of protecting the world, and yet, they're limited to protecting a single city. Why?
    Thinking about Flash, the "so why doesn't he pop to the next state and save people, it would only take him, like, 1min at the most" question is something the series SHOULD address but methinks the ptb are just hoping people don't ask that question. Guess this is the problem with giving people such mega super powers like super speed which would easily allow the hero to bring heroness globally instead of just their own town/county.

Limiting them to a single city does allow them to show the hero on a date or having some personal time cos it is easy to accept that the city isn't going thru any big catastophy at that time. If they started helping people in a wider area would we really like seeing, say, Barry on a date when we know people are no doubt burning to death in a neighbouring state. Of course the show could then show us him trying to save everybody, everywhere and collasing thru exhaustion, then tormenting himself over all those he can't save and those he is, basically, choosing not to save, cos he needs some me time without which he'd go mad. But I doubt this would make for jolly viewing.

btw: one of the good bits in the Daredevil Directors Cut movie was them showing how he sleeping in a sound proof box type thing, deliberately blocking out any cries for help as he needs his sleep.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was a better episode. I was a little worried it would be an 'It was all a dream' type show, but thankfully it was an 'Parasite creating dream world' type show, but without the flash backs of 'STNGs Shades of Grey' style.

The best bit was Hank pretending to be Kara, and his interactions with Kat.

For super powered villians the Krytonians don't half seem weak.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mix just doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Hank taking time out to protect Karas job whilst all hell was breaking loose just felt stupid.

Non and Astra never feel like a couple. The bad guys in this show are pratts rather than scary.

Wynn and Jimmy being allowed in a top secret establishment and effectively teaching the experts to do their job.

There was one slightly less predictable piece of sadness near the end that's ruined by everyone gathering around Karas for a Friends style get together with pizza and ice cream not 10 minutes later.

And since Adam, the one strong bit of the show ; the Kat/Kara relationship, is in ruins.

Oh dear , oh dear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not bad this week the Black Mercy was used the same way as in the comics except it was Superman who was infected.

Kara will find out it was Alex who killed Astra.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »

And since Adam, the one strong bit of the show , Kat/Kara relationship, is in ruins.

Oh dear , oh dear.

As Adam is Kara's husband in real life it's no wonder they worked well together.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Adam is Kara's husband in real life it's no wonder they worked well together.

Sorry, that's my punctuation, I meant that the Kara and Kat bits were the best thing on the show but the whole Adam sub plot has wrecked that dynamic.
  • Options
    Dave 101Dave 101 Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best bit was Hank pretending to be Kara, and his interactions with Kat.

That made me smile too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »
    Sorry, that's my punctuation, I meant that the Kara and Kat bits were the best thing on the show but the whole Adam sub plot has wrecked that dynamic.

I still think they worked well off each other as you could tell they have feelings for each other.

As they are married in real life they have no need to act that when looking/talking to each other.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a pretty strong episode with a good sense of the disparate threads of family running through it and the Black Mercy - a direct nod to the comics - was just the vehicle through which they explored that dynamic.

I'm sorry to see Astra go but I'm guessing that's now going to free up Non to be the proper big bad without any of those lingering family feelings stopping Kara from putting him down as she had with her aunt.

While there's always the odd procedural to have to overlook - James and Winn being brought to the DEO being one - I still thought that generally it followed a pretty realistic journey through Kara's over-riding desire to know her sense of place.

It was a great episode for both Danvers sisters. Melissa did brilliantly playing Hank being Kara and Cyler had one of her best outings with Alex's desperate desire to save her sister right up to sticking a sword - which looked like they'd borrowed it from Shadowhunters and just put new UV filter colour on it - right through Astra's chest.

I was disappointed in the Astra/Manhunter fight though. J'onn is supposed to be a pretty powerful being and he got kicked about a bit too easily for me. I know it was so Alex could kill Astra and leave all that angst lying around for when Kara inevitably finds out but still.

It was also a very pretty episode what with all the Krypton CGI and I thought they did those special effects well. Giving it a 7.5 out of 10.

ETA: Apparently if it hadn't got the back block of episodes, this would have been the Season One finale episode so it works well for that I think.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much better than I thought it was going to be when I saw the trailer. I had worried that most of the ep would be in the dream world, with Kara slowly coming to realise the truth (as with every other tired use of that trope).

Thankfully, there wasn't much time spent in the dream world, and the real world stuff was great, even the "fun" bits of Hank-playing-Kara.
    Matt D wrote: »
    I wonder if the season will end with a "the enemy of my enemy..." thing with Kara, the Kryptonians, and Lord...

:)

(OK, not the end of the season.)

I guess Lord can now see there are good and bad aliens, and will presumably grudgingly come to realise that Supergirl has humanity's best interests at heart, etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silly things spoil it a bit, such as Alex trying to shooting the bad Kryptonians using normal bullets but then has a kryptonite dagger to stab them with. Helloooo, use kryptonite tipped bullets you dumbass, you know Kryptonians are bullet proof.

After the dizzyness of me rolling my eyes so much wore off I then started wondering what the hell Max Lord is up to. One minute he's trying to kill Supergirl as she's an alien and next he's got his own pet alien imposter as Supergirl. Can we have some clear end game with this dude please. Either make him come good or go full Lex.
  • Options
    Our KidOur Kid Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I was hoping for a twist at the end that young Kal-el may have somehow came back to earth with Kara.

I'm very 50/50 with the series at the minute.
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has this series been recommissioned for a second season by CBS?
    Frankly speaking, after having watched the first 5 episodes, I don't think it should.
    Unoriginal storylines, confusing character development, predictable scenarios.

How did David Harewood and Calista Flockhart (both fine actors) get involved in such drivel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bunch of soldiers fight armoured man with bullets that bounce off his armour. Same soldiers go in to alien space ship with the intent of rescuing Supergirl using the same weapons, with the same bullets that continue to bounce off armoured man.

Not the smartest bunch, are they?
    P.Ramlee wrote: »
    Has this series been recommissioned for a second season by CBS?
    Alike you, I truly hope this show doesn't get renewed. That said, somehow, it's got steady ratings (they may be declining a little, but they're considerably high). I think Flash/Arrow manage something like 3million (averag) per episode, Supergirl gets about 7million.

Supergirl should have aired on the CW alongside Flash & Arrow, maybe with a different cast in some respects too. That said, if the CBS show does get cancelled, I'd expect the odd cameo from Kara on Flash and/or Arrow at some point in the future, especially that we know (one way or another) that Flash and Supergirl can access each others universes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think if CBS does cancel it the CW just may take it up.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a return back to the fairly bland and mediocre unfortunately as I'm just really not into the preachy type of episodes that a few US shows, superheroes included, seem to like to knock out every now and then.

I think the idea behind it was good but the execution wasn't. Kara's never been shown before to be struggling with her moral compass as such so I didn't really buy into the big dilemma of the DEO/Guantanamo Bay narrative when it came to Max Lord. He is a danger and just because the DEO normally houses aliens, does it mean it can't extend its services to remove a dangerous human?

Obviously they were contrasting with the Master Jailer aka Judge Dredd crossed with John Diggle's Spartan and a bit of Magneto thrown in when it came to that costuming, taking matters into his own hands to off the dangerous Fort Rozz escapees - shame he's not gone after Non and his team yet eh?!

And that was a whole other level of out of place as well. Non stops being super psycho long enough to mourn his wife, yeah I can buy that because they've always shown him as being not only commanded by Astra as his General and superior officer but also deferring to her as his beloved wife. But the whole "come and do her funeral cos you're the only girl left" just seemed to be thrown in to make Kara go on and hate Hank all over again and we just know where that's going when she finds out it was Alex.

Cat's scene with James did work though and rang true, certainly for me as someone with an almost 20 year journalism career! Sometimes the pressure to bury a story can be immense and it's having the guts to do what you know is right in publishing something you know is going to have epic repercussions. It went a long way, even if it was a story narrative circumstance exposition to give James the push about why he needed to speak to Kara, to explaining why Cat is often the centre of the show while things mirror off around her.

In fact this comment on the AVClub review summed it up for me in terms of the "exposition-ness" of it, they could have made the same point i.e. he hospitalised the wife, without having it reach fatality levels:
    I like that Cat and James get a bonding moment about ethics in journalism, but her monologue about failing to expose an abusive celebrity just didn’t work for me. Calista Flockhart delivered it well, but I think the reveal that the actor went on to murder his wife just felt like too much of an escalation.
    But one of the things we did make me laugh and gives this week's episode an extra point, was the shout out to Call the Midwife, which had me giggling so it's a 6.5 this week.

Oh, and our introduction to Siobahan Smythe and where that character's going was amusing.
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supergirl can't go to CW because they simply do not have the budget to do the special and practical effects required for the show.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I liked this episode, but what bugged me. Alex "OK on three. One, two, three, GO!"

So, that's on three or four, love?

I'm liking all the episodes, but there's so much crap in it. The writers don't have a strong vision; it's almost fatally flawed, doesn't feel like Supergirl; the pointless love-quadrangle is nonsense. It should have been given to CW.