TalkTalk Youview box

13»

Comments

• Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry about October. I mustn't have heard about it until later. I have read several times that it is coming in July, but I couldn't give you chapter and verse. Wait till July and see if it happens.

No probs David, no axe to grind with you :)

I will have to wait, I get no choice, I'm tied into a contract.

It's a shame as it, the TalkTalk player, doesn't even really need the catchup, the record facility would be more than adequate just as before.

The TT player offering as it stands seems rushed for release, but the delay in implementing the record facility is unforgivable.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    I highly recommend youview - very fast epg, seamless iplayer and other on demand player integration (ie if you find episode 2 of a new drama in the epg, if its on iplayer, you can watch it there and then - no exiting, loading iplayer, searching for prog etc...

The box is fairly generic, remote is annoying (click noise a bit too loud) batteries will last 1-2 months (aaa) it comes with a hdmi and has a fairly nifty front display - its also whisper quite in operation and it picks up the infrared of the remote even if the box is facing away behind a bed

Check out what you get with youview in this unboxing video -

http://youtu.be/ZjWVuc1mh7w

4od - most of channel 4 progs (ie all seasons of shameless) are on their (albeit unskipable but muteable adverts)

Go back 8 days - yeah nifty unique feature but I find its always quicker to search - which is the best search I've used on a PVR - except play tv on ps3 - it's better than sky hd - ie type 'top' like you would on a numeric keypad when texting someone and it will show 'top gear' within half a second of pressing 'p'
    I find the search quicker than going back - I think this feature only comes into play if you forgot to record something, couldn't record (max two recordings at any one time) or your searching for a friends recommended prog (ie 'there was a great programme on last night on ch 4 about 9 or 10 o'clock).

Image - excellent upscaled of SD and also you get 5 HD channels (3 BBC HD with the added temp 'red button hd' channel)

Very reliable - in 4-5 months its frozen once (2days ago) and had to unplug at mains - there was also a power cut 5 days before this which caused the apprentice to not record - so it may have been this - everything is as per normal so it's pretty solid.

Negatives - slow start time in high Eco mode (power saving on) - about 90secs - low Eco mode it's about 15secs but it uses about the same power as if its turned on

90sec start up = 1w in standby / 125w when in operation
    15sec start up = 120w in standby / 125 when in operation

You can't export recordings - so bummer if wanting to compress some stuff down for the iPhone when travelling...

I found this video pretty useful as it shows what to expect from first boot to using it for the first time :)

http://youtu.be/C3TjYncD3y8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    I highly recommend youview - very fast epg, seamless iplayer and other on demand player integration (ie if you find episode 2 of a new drama in the epg, if its on iplayer, you can watch it there and then - no exiting, loading iplayer, searching for prog etc...

The box is fairly generic, remote is annoying (click noise a bit too loud) batteries will last 1-2 months (aaa) it comes with a hdmi and has a fairly nifty front display - its also whisper quite in operation and it picks up the infrared of the remote even if the box is facing away behind a bed

Check out what you get with youview in this unboxing video -

http://youtu.be/ZjWVuc1mh7w

4od - most of channel 4 progs (ie all seasons of shameless) are on their (albeit unskipable but muteable adverts)

Go back 8 days - yeah nifty unique feature but I find its always quicker to search - which is the best search I've used on a PVR - except play tv on ps3 - it's better than sky hd - ie type 'top' like you would on a numeric keypad when texting someone and it will show 'top gear' within half a second of pressing 'p'
    I find the search quicker than going back - I think this feature only comes into play if you forgot to record something, couldn't record (max two recordings at any one time) or your searching for a friends recommended prog (ie 'there was a great programme on last night on ch 4 about 9 or 10 o'clock).

Image - excellent upscaled of SD and also you get 5 HD channels (3 BBC HD with the added temp 'red button hd' channel)

Very reliable - in 4-5 months its frozen once (2days ago) and had to unplug at mains - there was also a power cut 5 days before this which caused the apprentice to not record - so it may have been this - everything is as per normal so it's pretty solid.

Negatives - slow start time in high Eco mode (power saving on) - about 90secs - low Eco mode it's about 15secs but it uses about the same power as if its turned on

You can't export recordings - so bummer if wanting to compress some stuff down for the iPhone when travelling...

I found this video pretty useful as it shows what to expect from first boot to using it for the first time :)

http://youtu.be/C3TjYncD3y8

Was this the Talk Talk box as per thread title? If not then you're not reviewing the same product and could be misleading people.
    Forum Member
    The retail youview box (dtrt1000) is the exact same as talktalk / bt branded boxes - along with the newer t101.

A retail box will work with talktalk / bt and the bt vision / talk talk app will 'auto populate' - so you could buy a 1tb box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The retail youview box (dtrt1000) is the exact same as talktalk / bt branded boxes - along with the newer t101.

A retail box will work with talktalk / bt and the bt vision / talk talk app will 'auto populate' - so you could buy a 1tb box.

So do you have the same faults/issues as the Talk Talk boxes that people are complaining about?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's too much information to read through everything in one go, so has anybody found out what the USB port is for in the YouView box?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    There's too much information to read through everything in one go, so has anybody found out what the USB port is for in the YouView box?

Would it not be the same use as other Humax boxes.....For manual updates or viewing external programmes such as downloaded movies from an external drive or stick?? I don't have the YouView box so apologies if that is not correct.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

125W in operation:eek:
    I don't think so !!

Specs for the Humax DTR-T1000 state
    Energy efficiency information:
    •On mode power consumption 20 watts.
    •Standby power consumption 0.5 watt

Power consumption for the YouView box according to the YouView forums:

The power usage in different states appears to be:
    On: 20W
    Standby - low eco mode: 15W
    Standby - high eco mode: less than 1W
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Currently the only use the USB socket has is to charge your mobile phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I don't think so !!

Here are the stats as tested by a user of the TT box

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95240

There's also this thread which shows what's inside a box, some nice photos (scroll down to find them) :)

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102258&page=2
    all £299 worth :eek:
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I don't think so !!

Aha ! Mixed up with my tv which is 120w !

Gues 15w in standby is not that bad - at least u can use the youview remote record app ( which is pretty decent / similar to sky's)

And yes, the USB sockets do nothing! YV is backed by major broadcasters whom I doubt will let you export.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Currently the only use the USB socket has is to charge your mobile phone.

For me, that would make having a Humax Fox-T2 and using catch up via other means a better option.
    I wouldn't buy a YouView box, however, if I was getting one for free it would do...
  • mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Can you only get the Sky Boosts if you're a talk talk customer?