Options

Marvel's Agent Carter US Pace (Season 2)

Comments

• Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    ...so I'm curious, are we suppose to be expecting that this dark matter is somehow related to the Obelisk from Agents of Shield?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of amusing stuff this episode.

Peggy's comment about the Kid Colt film

“A movie based on a comic book? Sounds like a dreadful idea!”

Plus Jarvis' voice on the security system and him saying it was only temporary.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

I liked this episode, too. As for ratings, ABC with CARTER and CBS with Supergirl is targeting the female demographic. We'll get a better idea with the JLA movie DC's planning.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolute genius. Loved Jarvis' quip about him not wanting to be a disembodied voice for eternity.

Another good episode I thought. Love seeing Howard Stark on the show, love that their Madam Masque has the "Hedy Lamarr" background as an actress and scientific genius. Not quite sure they explained their science well enough though for what had happened to Dr Jason Wilkes or how Whitney managed to "disappear" her director.

Interesting nod to the Marvel Comics character of Jason Wilkes though in making him a) a Communist (allegedly) and b) invisible. Although I still like the theory put out the other week that he could be the hero Blue Marvel.

I liked that we got a bit more back story to Whitney and her origins as Agnes Culley, super scientist involved in the isodyne research. I liked how they gave us the subtle storyline of her husband treating her like an accessory to his Senate campaign with the quips about retiring and having babies once he'd been elected. It neatly tied in to the angle of her being too old that the show's touched on already.

And the show's producers have now
    confirmed that their Council of Nine is a version of the Secret Empire so a former HYDRA split off which has the cracking Captain America storyline where President Richard Nixon was alleged to have been the super evil at the top of the chain.
    It's an interesting background narrative to be using I think although they're obviously tying it into the Communism/Cold War fears of the McCarthy era of the 50s rather than Nixon's Watergate 70s and bringing it a decade earlier.

I'm also wondering what route they're taking with Jack Thompson. He didn't seem quite as sure of what was going on once he saw the newspaper and he'd watched the film reel. Will he do what Peggy accused him of and turn his blind eye and get a medal? It was a harsh reminder back to the vulnerable state she exposed in him from Season One.

I don't think the Zero Matter/Darkforce is supposed to be connected the Agents of SHIELD portal though nope.

I'm giving it a 7.5 out of 10.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus - and call me shallow - some great cleavage on display from Ms Atwell ;-)
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Plus - and call me shallow - some great cleavage on display from Ms Atwell ;-)
    Yes shallow, it was a plus....as was the Garter Belt Gun.;-)

Wasn't expect the move to LA, to be a good one - but it was a great start to the new season.

Jarvis witty, as ever - 'embracing creature' of a wife, I loved - and Dr Wilkes, is he Bad.:o

Oh yeah, Dottie back, such a nice name - for such someone so Kick-A$$....my favourite baddie - Carrot & Stick:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, I'm enjoying this series...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good episode from Agent Carter this week. Loved the parallel stories for Peggy and Agnes and the turn back time elements throughout which gave us the driving emotions behind both of these women's journeys to where they are now.

Some great one liners again, James D'Arcy remains MVP for his quips and little asides and I love Enver Gjokaj's Daniel Sousa and tonight we found out he served in Europe! He better be the man Steve Rogers saved who Peggy goes on to marry or I'll be sulking like you won't believe.
    I like Jason Wilkes and I like that they're not afraid of playing the cross-racial relationship at a time when it was incredible difficult. But he ain't the one for Peggy imho, he's going to be a reminder for her to seize the moment (with Daniel) so she doesn't lose someone else like she lost Steve but I don't think he was going to be the long term one to replace Cap.

Loved the insight into how Peggy became an SEO agent, loved the fact they referenced the SEO in the first place! There's a great museum for the SEO at Beaulieu in the New Forest which was one of the training grounds for agents. Poor Peggy's not had a lot of luck with the men in her life and it gives a lot of resonance to her driving ambition to be in that man's world after the death of her brother.

It was an awesome origin story and really felt like it belonged in the Marvel Universe. Mirroring it was Agnes' story of not following her dreams and subscribing to the traditional gender roles of being recognised for her looks not her brains. There's obviously lots to be drawn out between these two women in the rest of the season.

And a nice little Thor Easter Egg thrown in for good measure in Whitney Frost's home town Broxton, Oklahoma :)

8.5 out of 10 this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't anyone else watched yet?

Thoroughly enjoyed it once again, lots of hilarity ensuing amongst the seriousness. Some great step ups from the supporting cast as well, specifically Jarvis getting his heroic moment in the sun when diffusing the atom bomb.

I love Rose as well so I was glad to see her character getting out into the field and being more of an agent rather than the fake receptionist at the talent agency and they did well with the integration of their science expert onto the team.

The classic Seven Samurai /Magnificent Seven style slow-mo walk down the alley was brilliant, especially when they got to the end and Jarvis hadn't parked the car there because it had been too busy. Beautifully shot and excellent timing from all involved.

I love Enver Gjokaj so was really happy to see more of his story getting some traction and poor Violet's face at the end when she realise just why Daniel had moved out to LA. I like Violet but if Sousa isn't Peggy's husband who Steve saved while out in Europe I'm going to be chucking stuff at the telly.

Loved the Civil War Easter Egg in the name of the business on the side of the van and the appearance of Joseph Manfredi.

Really hope the news that Hayley Attwell's just signed up for a new ABC pilot isn't the death knell for Agent Carter.
  • Options
    telecattelecat Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    IN US terms Agent Carter is a small show so I would think it will take a back seat if Hayley's new series takes off. Maybe a Film or TV special
  • Options
    Forum Member
    telecat wrote: »
    IN US terms Agent Carter is a small show so I would think it will take a back seat if Hayley's new series takes off. Maybe a Film or TV special
    She has a new series?
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I love Enver Gjokaj so was really happy to see more of his story getting some traction and poor Violet's face at the end when she realise just why Daniel had moved out to LA. I like Violet but if Sousa isn't Peggy's husband who Steve saved while out in Europe I'm going to be chucking stuff at the telly.

Agreed with all your post but this 100 times this I too will be throwing things:D
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love this series it's so good natured if you know what i mean. and hayley atwell is amazing. this is only 10 episodes so i guess they could film this as well as whatever her other series is? i really don't want this to be the last series!
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    She has a new series?
    Yes, it's called Conviction. It could mean the end of Agent Carter.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/agent-carter-cancelled-hayley-atwell-cast-abc-drama-pilot/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has a new series?

No, she has a pilot for a possible new series. It hasn't been picked up yet.
  • Options
    Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode again. I wonder if they are setting the path for Dottie to become 'good'?? it might indicate how Shield becomes involved in the Black Widow project if she eventually joins forces with Peggy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo Rose wrote: »
    Great episode again. I wonder if they are setting the path for Dottie to become 'good'?? it might indicate how Shield becomes involved in the Black Widow project if she eventually joins forces with Peggy.

I was wondering that too. I think Dottie was seriously frightened by what she saw Whitney Frost do in the council chamber.
    I didn't realise it was a double episode either so now I'm doubly not sure about just what role Dottie is going to play going forward.

As a double header it was really good. The change in pace between the two episodes was brilliantly done. The first half being full of the typical things the audience has come to expect from Agent Carter - lots of great action, Jarvis' witty quips and sarcastic rejoinders, Peggy and Sousa joining forces against the bad guys, Jason and Whitney struggling with the effects of the zero matter.

The physical comedy in the first episode was superb, especially at the party with Dottie popping up behind Thompson and Jarvis doing a running grab, I actually laughed out loud at that point.
    And, speaking of Jack, I'm still not sure which side he's going to come down on so I think they're using his character well too.

But the second half was a whole different ball game with the stakes being raised massively high.
    Whitney's taking over of the Council, her murdering of her husband, kidnapping of Dr Wilkes, shooting of Ana Jarvis just kicked everything up a notch but it was Dottie Underwood and Bridget Regan who stole the show for me.
    I loved her when she appeared in the final season of White Collar and I love her in this. She brings a whole new level of calculated mental instability to the role of Dottie and her obsession/fascination with Peggy.
    The torture scene with Vernon where she went through all the things she'd been trained to do to herself in the Black Widow program was chilling. But her fear when Whitney did her thing was such a shocker because of how much we know Dottie is a Soviet machine.
    And loved the Black Widow nod in her stunningly beautiful dress for the fund raiser.

Beautiful moments between Ana and Jarvis too where we can see the depth of their love and emotional relationship and how it's played out in its correct form until the moment she is shot at the end.

There's another double header next week as they've got four episodes to fit in before Agents of SHIELD returns in March and it looks like the pace truly has been upped.

I really hope they do get a Season Three or, if not, then they've wrapped this one up with Peggy and Sousa married and the founding of SHIELD through the breakaway from the SSR.
  • Options
    Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope things are wrapped up too rather than being left up in the air. Even though Peggy still has decades left in her there is no point in leaving anything unresolved from this time period if we aren't going to see it on screen. There is every chance like with the most recent ANT MAN cameo she will feature in the movies still though which is always nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo Rose wrote: »
    I really hope things are wrapped up too rather than being left up in the air. Even though Peggy still has decades left in her there is no point in leaving anything unresolved from this time period if we aren't going to see it on screen. There is every chance like with the most recent ANT MAN cameo she will feature in the movies still though which is always nice.
    Captain America 3: Civil War is rumored to feature the death of Agent Peggy Carter...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cor blimey that first six minutes of the second episode of this double header might just have been the best TV since Buffy the Vampire Slayer and her fellow Scoobies broke out in song in Once More With Feeling!

Jarvis in top hat and tails surrounded by Dottie, Ana and Whitney in pink feathers and sequins has to be one of the best visuals on any TV show ever :D

Plus we got a cameo from Angie.

Another great set of episodes from Agent Carter with just next week's finale to wrap up Season Two and I think it's been an absolute triumph. I'll be really sorry if it doesn't get a Season Three renewal but it will have finished off on a high note if they can manage to get the start of SHIELD in the last episode.

'The Edge of Mystery' / 'A Little Song and Dance' both had some fabulous set pieces, from the musical number which opens up Episode 9 to the desert conversation between Jarvis and Peggy where emotions are really laid on the table, through to the complex double/triple crossing dealings of Jack Thompson, the pace was brilliant and the dialogue witty or full of pathos.

Loyalty and betrayal was at the beating heart of both episodes as Whitney's plan to open up the portal to the world of zero matter became more frantic, sucking in Dr Wilkes to her scheming to the shock of Peggy and Jarvis.

Jarvis again was MVP. James D'Arcy really has nailed this character, his repressed stiff upper lip English nature which eventually explodes with drastic consequences because of what happened to his wife. The fall out from that with him and Peggy on the desert road was some seriously fine television writing and superbly played by the two.

And, as one of the reviewing sites said, it's such a pleasure to have an actual friendship between Peggy and Jarvis without any of the speculation about romance between their characters.

On the subject of romance though, next week I better be hearing how Sousa was rescued by Captain America while he was out in Europe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think this series will end, not unless the network pulls in. This new show that Atwell has done a pilot for doesn't sound anything unique, and surely she has a cult following (of sorts) with Agent Carter; if comic fans mean anything to her, she wont simply ditch one show for the other. Either she'll continue with both (possible - Agent Carter is a shorter series) or Conviction just wont take off.

I can't personally see the benefits of her running a new show when she's already leading a well established one... unless it's her wages, in which case they should merely offer her more.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Cor blimey that first six minutes of the second episode of this double header might just have been the best TV since Buffy the Vampire Slayer and her fellow Scoobies broke out in song in Once More With Feeling!

Jarvis in top hat and tails surrounded by Dottie, Ana and Whitney in pink feathers and sequins has to be one of the best visuals on any TV show ever :D

Plus we got a cameo from Angie.

I fast-forwarded my way through most of that segment - the first time I've skipped anything in this show.

Pointless musical dream sequence :(

Why couldn't they find another way to bring Angie in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this series will end, not unless the network pulls in. This new show that Atwell has done a pilot for doesn't sound anything unique, and surely she has a cult following (of sorts) with Agent Carter; if comic fans mean anything to her, she wont simply ditch one show for the other. Either she'll continue with both (possible - Agent Carter is a shorter series) or Conviction just wont take off.

I can't personally see the benefits of her running a new show when she's already leading a well established one... unless it's her wages, in which case they should merely offer her more.

It'll will depend on the demographics. What saved the show last year was a new Marvel/Disney market for females 13 to 35. This year, it seems the showed tried to drag in the males in that market. It's been a critical success even if the ratings aren't there and it will depend on how much ABC/Disney wants to develop that market or surrender it to CBS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They've said she could do both as they shoot at opposite ends of the year but nothing definite yet. Mind, it's also early for any renewals to be talked about anyway. By May we should have a better idea of the future for Agent Carter.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just catching up, pretty bored with this blonde woman and her black goo.