In later stages of shingles, worth going to the doctor?

Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'mpretty certain I have shingles at the moment. Got the usual painful rash, blisters etc. All rather horrible. I have a friend who's a Dr and after describing it to him he said it sounded like shingles, and it looks like it when I see photos on the internet.

It's finally starting to get better after a week, the blisters look like they're starting to scab (gross).

I tried to go to the Dr today but they shut much earlier than I anticipated. Is it worth trying to go to Dr tomorrow to see if they have any medication or would you say it's not worth it?

My 12,000 word dissertation is due on February 28th, and this has caused me to not be able to write for at least 5 days now. Is it worth going to the Dr just to get a Drs note in case I need an extension?

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go sooner rather than later, specially as you have a deadline. Has anyone mentioned to you that you're supposed to stay away from anyone who's pregnant? I got shingles when I was pregnant, not much fun.
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at Drs recently getting a random vaccination. Was 2nd day of rash when it looked harmless so I just got cream. Since then it got a lot worse and I presumed too late for any drugs to work.

And I don't have a habit of hanging around pregnant women
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Is the rash only on one side of your body? I went to the doc once with a bizarre rash that looked like shingles but she said because it was on both of my hips, it wasn't shingles as it never crosses the midline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's on the one side. Goes from my chest, down my armpit and onto my bicep. Also a few patches on my back as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends where it is. If it's on the face then you should go as you may need treatment to stop it damaging the eye and sight. If it's anywhere else I wouldn't bother. They can't treat it unless you catch it very early so will do nothing anyway.

Edit: now I read the thread properly I see it's not on your face, so unless you need a sick certificate, don't bother.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah just leave it I would say.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can treat shingles - with the antiviral Aciclovir. At least I think that's what my friend was prescribed when she had it.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have something wrong with you go and get it seen, common sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm to add to the confusion, parents say they don't remember me having chicken pox. Which makes me wonder what's happened. Will attempt Dr tomorrow again although they have no listings of their opening hours online and their answering machine only says when it opens, not when it shuts. (I'm not good at waking up in the mornings, typical student :P )
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Hmm to add to the confusion, parents say they don't remember me having chicken pox. Which makes me wonder what's happened. Will attempt Dr tomorrow again although they have no listings of their opening hours online and their answering machine only says when it opens, not when it shuts. (I'm not good at waking up in the mornings, typical student :P )

It's weird, Look it up if you haven't. You can't catch shingles, it comes back when your immune system is reduced if you have had chicken pox (but having either is catching to someone who hasn't). You can get chicken pox without being hugely sick and the earlier you get it the better (as with a few things). CP just stays dormant and can reactivate as shingles anytime but you're not going to catch it again. It's weird.

(I was probably too young to realise what chicken pox was like but I don't recall it reactivating yet)