Options

Jerusalem As English National Anthem

Comments

• Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    I was surprised when I found out Jerusalem was the national anthem, I don't think this vote was widely publicised, everyone I've spoken too thought we had Land of Hope and Glory.

The vote was before the last Games and was quite well publicised at the time. It was also played 37 times at the last Games too. You would think someone would have remembered!
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »
    I was surprised when I found out Jerusalem was the national anthem, I don't think this vote was widely publicised, everyone I've spoken too thought we had Land of Hope and Glory.

I hadn't really seen much coverage until yesterday. Watched a couple of medal ceremonies yesterday and Jerusalem wasn't really doing it for me. I love it but, in at least a sporting context, I think would fit better.
    As has been said, I think Land of Hope and Glory would be regarded by others as too imperial.
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since first catching TV games coverage in 1970, I've known three different anthems for England. For a while they used 'I Vow To Thee My Country', the tune for which has been adapted for the Rugby World Cup's anthem 'World In Union'.
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I absolutely hate Jerusalem as the english national anthem.... it just doesn't work. It's anthemic, but not right... I'd rather we had something along the lines of Land of Hope and Glory, which has all the pomp and ceremony that a national anthem should have. Or something really patriotic which stirs up the hearts of a nation, such as "There'll Always Be and England"
  • Options
    Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Flower of Scotland is wonderful, by far one of the best anthems around, up there with La Marseillaise for me.

GSTQ is atrocious, unquestionably one of the most uninspiring, sycophantic pieces of shit to ever entered my ears. Jerusalem is much better, even if the lyrical content is a bit iffy, Shame we can't take Parry's music and add better lyrics.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Flower of Scotland is wonderful, by far one of the best anthems around, up there with La Marseillaise for me.

GSTQ is atrocious, unquestionably one of the most uninspiring, sycophantic pieces of shit to ever entered my ears. Jerusalem is much better, even if the lyrical content is a bit iffy, Shame we can't take Parry's music and add better lyrics.

I really dislike Flower of Scotland - sorry. Much prefer Scotland the brave.

Can Scotland really not define itself without referring to a battle against the English 700 years ago - when they have fought alongside in many wars since. And the reference to 'proud Edward' - Edward II was allegedly gay so that reference is in poor taste bordering on the homophobic.

The Welsh anthem is about Wales and how wonderful it is - FOS makes the Scots sound like a weak oppressed people obsessed with 700 year old battles against their neighbours. Sorry - but that's my take!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flower of Scotland was not written as a national anthem, just a quiet wee folk song. It was public pressure, started with Scottish Rugby, that brought it to the fore. At the time, it was being sung over GSTQ at sporting events so, although many claim to dislike it, it was the sporting public that made it the anthem

I am pretty sure, when Roy Williamson wrote Flower of Scotland in the early 60's he did not know (or indeed care) about Edwards sexuality so to call it homophobic is ridiculous.

Also, how can the song be "obsessed with 700 year old battles" when it contains, at its heart, the lines "These days are passed now, and in the past, they must remain" The following line is also perfect for Scotland's current state of being not quite a country - "We can still rise now, and be a Nation again"
    I would say that if Scotland gains independence, a new anthem ("Freedom com all ye" would be my choice) will be needed. Until then, FOS does just fine.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    As has been said, I think Land of Hope and Glory would be regarded by others as too imperial.

It's a better tune than the alternatives and should have been the English National Anthem, whatever 'others' think. Jerusalem (the tune) is a bit limp, by comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,
    Have ruled thee well and long;
    By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,
    Thine Empire shall be strong."

Yes, that is a modern classic. Not harking back to the past at all.
  • Options
    earlofbedlamearlofbedlam Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    It is apparent that England has lost its identity. I really cannot understand why it cannot be God Save the Queen. Or are englishmen turning against our monarch
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Edward II was allegedly gay so that reference is in poor taste bordering on the homophobic.

Wasn't he the red hot poker man? Poor bloke! :o
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heres how we did it in 2002
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYqGYQGgF-g

I also would like I Vow To Thee My Country, but could cause confusion at IRB World Cup.
  • Options
    LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is apparent that England has lost its identity. I really cannot understand why it cannot be God Save the Queen. Or are englishmen turning against our monarch

Because, as others have said, it's the BRITISH (Union Flag) National Anthem. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own anthems; so should the English. It has nothing to do with turning against the monarch. GSTQ should be used for all nations of the UK, not just for one.

I would prefer England to have Land of Hope and Glory because it's a stonking and stirring tune (as demonstrated in the previous poster's clip). The lyrics are inoffensive in a modern, sporting context:

Land of Hope and Glory,
    Mother of the free,
    How shall we extol thee,
    Who are born of thee,
    Wider still and wider,
    Shall thy bounds be set,
    God who made thee mighty,
    Make thee mightier yet,
    Make thee mightier yet!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    Because, as others have said, it's the BRITISH (Union Flag) National Anthem. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own anthems; so should the English. It has nothing to do with turning against the monarch. GSTQ should be used for all nations of the UK, not just for one.

I would prefer England to have Land of Hope and Glory because it's a stonking and stirring tune (as demonstrated in the previous poster's clip). The lyrics are inoffensive in a modern, sporting context:

Land of Hope and Glory,
    Mother of the free,
    How shall we extol thee,
    Who are born of thee,
    Wider still and wider,
    Shall thy bounds be set,
    Make thee mightier yet,
    Make thee mightier yet!

The main problem with its use is that the lyrics are a clear reference to Britain and its Empire, not to England.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have liked Gold by Spandau Ballet, but maybe it doesn't work as well for 2nd and 3rd.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have liked Gold by Spandau Ballet, but maybe it doesn't work as well for 2nd and 3rd.

But you wouldn't need to play an anthem for the silver and bronze, so go ahead!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say it is the best commonwealth county anthem out of them all and I have heard the lot of them especially that bit at the end
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See my thoughts below
    anti-semitic ? ambigious english/british sentiments ? anti-english ?
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure England has ever had a unified identity (perhaps it has come together in times of war).Pity we can't ask William Blake about that.He clearly wasn't happy with England / Britain / the western world when he wrote the words that are now incorporated into the hymn? called Jerusalem.
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    I have to say it is the best commonwealth county anthem out of them all and I have heard the lot of them especially that bit at the end

That is a joke right? it's such a wet fish of an anthem it's unreal
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fall did a very potent version
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    Wouldn't have been pleasant pastures then either - covered in forests.

ok, in that case let's say "In-the-region-that-would-one-day-be-a- united-countries-soil-but-at-the-time-was-covered-in-an-awful-lot-of-woodland-until-all-the-trees-were-chopped-down-and-it-became-a-rather-green-and-pleasant-land.

Hmmmm..... Doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, does it..?
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is the football team going to have Jerusalem played as the English national anthem before their matches now too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I'd love to have I Vow To Thee My Country for an English anthem.

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
    Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
    The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
    That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
    The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
    The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

The words aren't bad, but are rather dreary, but could be changed to reflect modern sensibilities (no god or queen). In fact I'm tempted to have a go at it.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you wouldn't need to play an anthem for the silver and bronze, so go ahead!

Doh ! :blush: