Options

Ridiculous child names

Comments

• Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisymoo82 wrote: »
    Working in childcare I've come across a few weird and wonderful names over the years...

Girls- Ribbon, Stevie, Immaculate (Imma for short) Harleigh, Gift, Ruby-Marmalade

Boys- Oswald (who's parents insisted we called Oz... Why saddle a child with a weird name then instantly shorten it?) Jojo, Colbylea, Bede, Boaz

Bede is quite a common name in Jarrow. For Bede of Monkwearmouth-Jarrow Monastery. I have worked with 2 men with that name. I like it. It's not a made up name. Just an ancient one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a traveller girl that had twin girls and actually named them Romani and Gypsy. (Not sure if I've mentioned this before) She and all her families have also always lived in houses for as long as I've known them, so I'm not sure how they can identify themselves as travellers.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my 4 year olds Nursery there are kids called Mandolin and Uke.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand the made up argument. Weren't all names made up at some point?

Anyway, I do quite like Louis CK's take on naming your kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSf-KQORRk
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having given my own child an unusual name, I wouldn't say people shouldn't do it (obviously :D ), but parents shouldn't do it lightly and without a bit of consideration on what it might be like to have the piss taken throughout childhood. I suppose it's worth mentioning that people generally say they like my daughter's name, but maybe they say otherwise behind my/her back.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    To be fair, that's about as ancient a name as you can get, although you don't get many kids named after a storytelling monk.

Oswald. Were the parents fascists?
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Bede is quite a common name in Jarrow. For Bede of Monkwearmouth-Jarrow Monastery. I have worked with 2 men with that name. I like it. It's not a made up name. Just an ancient one.

I think Bede's parents were RE teachers actually! I don't dislike the name myself, I'd just never heard it in modern day life!

Someone earlier mentioned Cuthbert... I once had a hamster called that but I think I'd draw the line at naming a child Cuthbert!
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kimantha.. :D

It may not have made it to real life yet but I'm sure it will.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a couple who, when their children were expected, said that they wanted to give them names that could not be shortened, Peter, Pete; Deborah, Deb; Valery, Val, you get the picture.
    They had two daughters, first Kelly, who they, and all their family, when trying to get her attention, call Kell, followed a couple of years later by Zoë, who gets called in the same scenario, Zo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Maisymoo82 wrote: »
    Working in childcare I've come across a few weird and wonderful names over the years...

Girls- Ribbon, Stevie, Immaculate (Imma for short) Harleigh, Gift, Ruby-Marmalade

Boys- Oswald (who's parents insisted we called Oz... Why saddle a child with a weird name then instantly shorten it?) Jojo, Colbylea, Bede, Boaz

Probably conceived on a grassy knoll I expect.....
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    No ridiculous as such, but i heard a woman shouting her 2 young kids to come here, they were called skyler and jesse.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know little sisters called Ebony and Ivory and they're both white.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I know a family of redheads - they have four girls - Ruby, Amber. Scarlett and Jasmine - I think that's quite nice.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a family of redheads - they have four girls - Ruby, Amber. Scarlett and Jasmine - I think that's quite nice.

Can you get red Jasmine then .... I thought it was white.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Harley spelled properly is alright for a boy I suppose, but for a girl, I don't think so!

And that particular spelling, Harlei, it's just so tacky
    I don't like they way they keep coming up with stupid spellings to make their child unique
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my 4 year olds Nursery there are kids called Mandolin and Uke.

Just terrible.

Uke = Yuck more like. The poor child.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a fair few kids with non-Polish names that just don't make sense to have where I am, along with some ridiculously old-fashioned names.
    My son is called Oskar which, when a Polish person reads it, sounds proper. But there is someone with Oscar, which when read by a Polish person comes out as Os-sar which just sounds stupid.
  • Options
    mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who's sisters name is wish and has named her son tide and her twin daughters dream & charm.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I know little sisters called Ebony and Ivory and they're both white.

Do they live together in perfect harmony.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Can you get red Jasmine then .... I thought it was white.

I know - I think they ran out of red names - or maybe they didn't know it wasn't red - I think it's a nice name that goes with the others sort of.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrtdg82 wrote: »
    I know someone who's sisters name is wish and has named her son tide and her twin daughters dream & charm.

Chav-tastic lol :D:D
  • Options
    mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She actually isn't at all chav like... Just a little strange...
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a little girl called Ocean Brianne.

Her even smaller brothers are Tyler and Tommy Lee.

"rolleyes"
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend said she would name her daughter Oceania and I told her it sounded like the name of a cruise ship, fast forward 3 years she had her daughter and named her Hope??
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spudulikaa - spelt spud-u-like ( grin :) )
  • Options
    steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I was given an unusual name (well, just rare really) & as a young child I hated it! As I got older, I started to really like it as I've never had to use my surname to identify myself. Just recently, my name has cropped up a few times in TV programmes & I've also seen it in birth announcements so maybe it's about to become more popular!
    An unusual name that always makes me smile is the Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan.