Tragic emotional scenes in British comedy

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
One thing I love most about British comedy and sitcoms is our ability to combine some of the most funniest moments with the most endearing, heart warming/heart wrenching scenes of sadness and empathy.

These have to be some of my all time favourites. Hope you can share yours...

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM&itct=CDUQpDAYASITCLfP8Z6SmcACFVQDwgod0VMAnFIWYmthY2thZGRlciBmaW5hbCBzY2VuZQ%3D%3D&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&gl=GB

Sorry can't find a clip but the final scene in Goodnight Sweetheart where he gets trapped in the past and also same actor in Only Fools & Horses where Rodney and Casandra lose the baby.

Pretty sure there was many more OFAH moments and Porridge too. Maybe you can think of some others. I'm sure Gavin & Stacey had the odd sad scenes too.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Blackadder one is iconic.

What about Fools and Horses when grandad died? So much sad and funny, when they spread his ashes.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Johnny dies in Two Pints?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Fools & Horses when Rodney gets married. The scene at the wedding reception where Rodney says goodbye to Del before leaving on his honeymoon with ''Holding Back The Years'' playing in the background. Rodney gets to the doorway and looks back and Del just gives him a little smile and a nod. Marlene then approaches Del and asks why he never married and Del explains that none of the women he went with wanted to bring up Rodney and Rodney always had to come first. Then the guests leave the Del is left alone in the room for a moment with ''Holding Back The Years'' playing. The first time i ever saw that episode it stuck in my mind for days afterwards.

One Foot In The Grave had a lot of tragic and emotional scenes as well
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »

One Foot In The Grave had a lot of tragic and emotional scenes as well

I'd nominate the one where they go on a day out in the country and Victor somehow gets lost. He finds a house, which turns out to be a care home (for the elderly) where he discovers they are abusing the residents. The first time I saw that (as a kid) it quite shocked me, though the boss/staff members do get their comeuppance.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Nana's death in The Royle Family. Not tragic as such, but poignant. We've all been there with our elderly relatives. I thought it was a great episode, and Sue Johnston especially was superb. The bit where she was combing her mother's hair was just... :cry:
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    One thing I love most about British comedy and sitcoms is our ability to combine some of the most funniest moments with the most endearing, heart warming/heart wrenching scenes of sadness and empathy.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM&itct=CDUQpDAYASITCLfP8Z6SmcACFVQDwgod0VMAnFIWYmthY2thZGRlciBmaW5hbCBzY2VuZQ%3D%3D&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&gl=GB

When I first saw that, having laughed my way through the series, it was really upsetting. I'd just come back from a trip to Flanders and I blubbed big time.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steptoe and Son - too many to count, but the most notable was when Harold seriously considered smothering his father. Tragic, bleak and funny.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »

Sorry can't find a clip but the final scene in Goodnight Sweetheart where he gets trapped in the past and also same actor in Only Fools & Horses where Rodney and Casandra lose the baby.

Pretty sure there was many more OFAH moments and Porridge too. Maybe you can think of some others. I'm sure Gavin & Stacey had the odd sad scenes too.

As a fan of OFAH I liked how it seemed to get a perfect balance between emotional and comedy during the sad scenes. Grandads funeral couldn't have been nothing but one liners but for a comedy show it couldn't end on a sad note either so of course there was the thing about the vicars hat which wasn't hilarious but just enough to make you chuckle and finish an otherwise emotional scene.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The part in Early Doors when Melanie is going out to see her biological father and Ken's really trying to support her, but he's finding it difficult

Ken - You only get one Dad
    Melanie - And you're mine

Every time I see that I cry.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin and Stacey when Nessa is leaving for her wedding and she tells Gwen that she is her mum. Beautiful.

E2A...I haven't worded that very well but anybody who's seen it will know what I mean.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Nana's death in The Royle Family. Not tragic as such, but poignant. We've all been there with our elderly relatives. I thought it was a great episode, and Sue Johnston especially was superb. The bit where she was combing her mother's hair was just... :cry:

Oh God, don't start me off....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A slightly unusual one, as it's from a sketch show, but I thought the final sketch of "That Mitchell and Webb Look" managed quite a tragic and emotional turn, Sherlock Holmes as an old man with Alzheimers, which was basically played for laughs until it turned right at the end with just one line. It also worked as the payoff to a joke set up in the previous episode about ending comedy shows with a sad moment.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftermath of Victor Meldrew's death. Bittersweet. Annette Crosbie always played a blinder as Margaret.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find it on YouTube but another Only Fools & Horses tearjerker is the episode "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Uncle" in which Uncle Albert is mugged and decides to leave home. When the brothers locate him he's standing at the docks and they've all been redeveloped into yuppie flats.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek, series 2, episode 5, when Ivor the dog is put down. So flippin' emotional that scene. I know that people hate Ricky Gervais, he's an arse, blah blah blah, but that combination of humour and tragedy was so well done.

The final episode tugged at my heartstrings too, when Derek's dad passed away and was being driven away by the private ambulance and Derek appears in shot riding a push-bike after it, having only just learnt to ride a bike.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    count arthur strong. making fun of dementia. entirely without humour. tragic from beginning to end.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Foot in Grave was so funny but dark at times. Like them discussing when their child died or that bad old folks home.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »

That'd be my choice as well. One of the most remarkable pieces of acting I've ever seen.
    Forum Member
    Red John wrote: »

I don't remember seeing that before. Its quite something, that look down the lens.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    That'd be my choice as well. One of the most remarkable pieces of acting I've ever seen.

I agree, very good. What drama was it taken from?
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdcage wrote: »
    I agree, very good. What drama was it taken from?

The chap was a regular in a sketch show called The Fast Show, as I remember.

Very funny and clever.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    The chap was a regular in a sketch show called The Fast Show, as I remember.

Very funny and clever.

Thanks, I'll look that up. But, that scene in the link, was it a part of a drama or just a one off?
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I'll look that up. But, that scene in the link, was it a part of a drama or just a one off?

A recurring sketch in the Fast Show.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The chap appeared in a short sketch most weeks. Just sitting in the chair drinking and telling some story or other. He always ended his often incomprehensible stories with 'of course I was exceedingly/ awfully/ terribly drunk'.