Apple Clamchell

cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
Forum Member
I have a problem with my Apple Clamchell. I know its working as I tested it this morning (turned it on and it booted up) but when I went to shut it down and reboot it it powers on and I can hear the chime but nothing appears on the screen

Help

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get an IT technician to have a quick look at it?

Shine a light at the screen and if you can see what should be on the screen then its the inverter, but being apple its going to be expensive no matter what as Apple have never been known for cheap spares, but it could be a ribbon worn out or even the screen has died

and what the hells a clamchell (i've assumed its one of their laptops)
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i assume he means one of these old things http://www.andovercg.com/ebay/images/apple_clamshell_indigo.jpg

unless he just means clamshell mode (ie laptop running with lid closed).

knowing cmorris, he's probably taken on one for repair and is in over his head and doesn't know what the hell he is doing. he runs a computer repair business so he says.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Get an IT technician to have a quick look at it?
    chenks wrote: »
    he runs a computer repair business so he says.

...he's a qualified technician in his own right, now... apparently...

He's obviously just testing us to keep us on our toes.

Those clamshells are sought after by some folk, though. Might be worth fixing it up and banging it on eBay...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    ...he's a qualified technician in his own right, now... apparently...

He's obviously just testing us to keep us on our toes.

Those clamshells are sought after by some folk, though. Might be worth fixing it up and banging it on eBay...

Microsoft Certified - MCDST, MCP & MTA
    and IT Technician / IT Tutor

we are in great company here!

based on some of the questions he asks here, and the totally inability to grasp even the basic of replies i have to wonder about those qualifications.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    i assume he means one of these old things http://www.andovercg.com/ebay/images/apple_clamshell_indigo.jpg

I remember those! They were some of Apple's ugliest Macs ever. They looked like kids' toys :p
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    I was given it and going to sell it. I will do some more diging. Apple products are not my strong point

I think the graphics card inside has gone. Would forcing a CD to boot (such as Mac CD fix the problem) and if so are there any keys need to be presed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cmorris wrote: »
    I was given it and going to sell it. I will do some more diging. Apple products are not my strong point

I think the graphics card inside has gone. Would forcing a CD to boot (such as Mac CD fix the problem) and if so are there any keys need to be presed

at least tell us the exact model of the device you have.

for a powerpc apple device

Booting from CD — hold down the “C” key (until the Apple logo appears) while powering on the laptop. Insert a bootable CD as soon as the power is on.

Booting as a FireWire “target” — connect the PowerBook to another FW-equipped system. hold down the “T” key (until FW symbool appears) while powering on the laptop.

Choosing boot device — hold down the Option key (until the Apple logo appears) while powering on the laptop. You’ll see an icon for each bootable device (hard disk, bootable CD, network, etc). Select one of the icons, then click on the right-arrow icon.

Booting single-user — hold down the “Command-S” keys (until the Apple logo appears) while powering on the laptop.
    Forum Member
    Don't worry I have sorted it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

share the solution then
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member

You'd be lucky to get 50 quid for it.
    Forum Member
    There is a reset button. I only want £40.00
    Forum Member

How did you sort it?
    Forum Member
    I pressed the reset button above the power button, it reset and came too with a display but every time I shut it down and power it on it still comes up with a black screen but the sound comes on (to rectify I have to push the reset button)

But I do get the Date/Time message saying its out of date -but when I reset this it doesn't stay whn I restart machine

Would that be the cause of the no display on screen
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    I love these threads.
    Forum Member
    Mac's are not my strong point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the age of the machine i'd say its a CMOS battery dying/dead as last weeks mackrel..and given my efforts of replacing those in some old 68k series mac's i'd say good luck :D as Apples main job is to make everything as hard to replace as possible and thus make it easier to replace rather than repair and ensuring a steady flow of faithful to the holy churches tills :p

Just flog it as spares/repairs as it'll only probably lower the price by 5-10 quid and given some of the idiots on fleabay it'll probably go for more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

what is your strong point?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is your strong point?

Comedy? :D Certainly not IT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy? :D Certainly not IT.

Tada...boom...tish :D...guess we know who'll be here all week ;)
    Forum Member

They are mine though :D
    Forum Member
    Ok good for you cnbcwatcher