New Humax Freesat HDR 1100S launched

123457»

Comments

• LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    No Now TV on these.

Thanks. Looks like going youview would be the better option then.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Do these boxes have access to nowtv?

I'm currently debating wether to get one of these for £150-£180 (unless someone can tell me where they can be had cheaper?)

Or getting an ariel fitted and getting one of the refurbished BT youview boxes from Amazon.

A Now TV box with five months entertainment pass is on offer at Argos for £14.99 at the moment, I have one and a Humax box. There's no hardship in having both.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Looks like going youview would be the better option then.
    Now TV on Youview is massively crippled. No live sport, or live channels, and on demand in SD only.
    As mentioned it's cheaper to get a Now TV box with a voucher and you'll get a much better experience overall with access to everything, and the majority in 720p by default.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Now TV on Youview is massively crippled. No live sport, or live channels, and on demand in SD only.
    As mentioned it's cheaper to get a Now TV box with a voucher and you'll get a much better experience overall with access to everything, and the majority in 720p by default.

Thanks I did read that when I was doing a bit of googling and decided against it.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    A Now TV box with five months entertainment pass is on offer at Argos for £14.99 at the moment, I have one and a Humax box. There's no hardship in having both.

That's what I've gone for. Took delivery of the 1100s today so will set it up over the weekend and grab a nowtv box.

I need a HDMI switch too as my TV only has two HDMI
    ports.

Thanks!

Edit. Can you link me to the Argos nowtv offer please. Cheapest I can see is £25 with a 3 month pass.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit. Can you link me to the Argos nowtv offer please. Cheapest I can see is £25 with a 3 month pass.

I've looked for it and couldn't find it, but these offers do come and go amazingly quickly.

Just a tip, as a new Now TV customer you can get a free 14 day Entertainment trial, so go with that and then activate the 3, 5 or 6 month pass you eventually go with just as the trial runs out.

And keep us informed how you get on with the 1100S, seems we are both going down the same route (I'm ditching Sky) and going with Freesat and Now TV.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I've looked for it and couldn't find it, but these offers do come and go amazingly quickly.

Just a tip, as a new Now TV customer you can get a free 14 day Entertainment trial, so go with that and then activate the 3, 5 or 6 month pass you eventually go with just as the trial runs out.

And keep us informed how you get on with the 1100S, seems we are both going down the same route (I'm ditching Sky) and going with Freesat and Now TV.

Yes, I too looked for the offer. When I posted the original post informing of the deal, Argos were indeed selling the boxes for £14.99 with a 3 month entertainment pass. I bought one.

I have three Now TV Boxes because sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new box for £15 than pay the monthly fee - especially when it's a movie offer.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda is doing most for £25 now and 4 months kids pass ones for £15. As said, keep checking in stores or even better on Amazon - as you won't waste time or petrol.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that Sainsbury's is clearing out (discontinuing?) the Now TV Smart boxes. £34 with five months entertainment pass.

https://goo.gl/photos/s8t1R8W9bxfMpvTUA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I picked up a nowtv box with 3 months entertainment pass in asda yesterday for £15. I'm waiting for a HDMI switch to be delivered before I can set it up.

To be honest I'm feeling a bit mixed right now. I set the humax 1100s up on Thursday. It's restarted itself about ten times since then. According to humax support this is not a box fault but a fault their end and there's a few reports of it on this forum and the humax forum.

But it's restarted more in the few days it's been setup than my sky box had in 15 years previous. I've updated the software and done a factory reset etc.

Plus I'm having an odd issue where the remote just switches itself to TV over night so when I go to switch the box on the next day nothing happens and I have to press STB. Might seem a small annoyance but why is it doing it?

The channel selection and functionality are great, I especially like the roll back TV guide and Netflix inclusion but it seems very glitchy and seems to have a lot of issues. If they don't settle over the next week I'll be returning the box as reliability is paramount.
  • ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be inclined to return the box now and get it swapped. The reports of boxes resetting themselves seem very few and far between, from what I can make out.

Clem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clem wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to return the box now and get it swapped. The reports of boxes resetting themselves seem very few and far between, from what I can make out.

Clem

I've emailed support and they've said the problem is there end. There's a few posters here and on the humax forum and the freesat Twitter feed with the problem. Touch wood it's been absolutely fine for the past two days but as I said if it does it again this week I will return it for a replacement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've got my 1100s, easy to set-up and very impressed so far with the responsiveness of the box and as others have said the picture quality seems better than my old Sky+ HD box. And despite some of the comments I've read about the 'clicky' remote I'm quite impressed with it.

No random reboots to date as described by Lyceum, so it seems it was just a temporary issue the Humax end.

But (there has to be one of those:D) I do have one problem, a missing block of channels. Specifically I get a message about no signal or poor signal quality on the 4 channels at 12207 V 27500 5/6 namely Pick, Pick+1, Community Channel and Sky News. I've tried search those settings in none Freesat mode and nothing is found. They all worked fine on my Sky box so I can't imagine is it is any sort of dish allignment issue.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102.
    Is the New Humax in the same location os the Sky unit was and are their any electrical devices near it. (E.g. DECT phone)?

There are very few freesat channels about 11700. If you go into non-freesat mode and scan the transponder at 12129 V 27500 2/3 QPSK selecting non-encrypted do you see any channels?

The reboots problem was caused not at Humax's end but freesat's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Evo102.
    Is the New Humax in the same location os the Sky unit was and are their any electrical devices near it. (E.g. DECT phone)?

There are very few freesat channels about 11700. If you go into non-freesat mode and scan the transponder at 12129 V 27500 2/3 QPSK selecting non-encrypted do you see any channels?

Thanks for the suggestions/ways to trouble shoot, but I have managed to resolve the issue by simply swapping feed 1 and feed 2 over, now got the 4 missing channels and not lost any different ones, but how it fixed it I don't know.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No random reboots to date as described by Lyceum, so it seems it was just a temporary issue the Humax end.

Issue is down to Freesat server issues, nothing to do with Humax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Issue is down to Freesat server issues, nothing to do with Humax.

Thanks, I think that has already been stated.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, I think that has already been stated.

By coincidence my HDR1000S just rebooted while watching a recording at 13:25. However the ongoing recording appears to be OK.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 1100s just went odd, came up from downstairs, and there was a transparent box right in the middle of the screen on it, and the sound was off, couldn't change channels, nothing, so i flicked it off/on via the remote, and it went fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    My 1100s just went odd, came up from downstairs, and there was a transparent box right in the middle of the screen on it, and the sound was off, couldn't change channels, nothing, so i flicked it off/on via the remote, and it went fine.

I had exactly the same, thought it was just my box.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About time someone started a new thread. The launch was a long time back.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had exactly the same, thought it was just my box.

Wonder what it was, was very strange, looked like some kind of message box, with no message.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HUMAX Freesat HDR

Now TV are pulling away from Youview as they do not wish to be linked with BT and with Sky Q out now, SKY have got customers lists so they wish to go alone with boxes that are linked by internet ...
    SKY using Internet based systems is cheaper for them for more profits for share owners.

FREESAT is a free service that you can get using a TV or TV Box like Humax HDR-1100S which you can record two channels from 200+ channels or use players from the likes of BBC ITV CH4 CH5 & You Tube using your internet services.
    Plus paid services like Netflix, R wuaki.tv CURZON Home Cinema & Hopster.

HUMAX HDR-1100S also can be operate by your mobile phone with an APP also you can set recordings too....

Would like to know what software the box should have now ...?????

Also I have found that you can have two HUMAX boxes in the same room and set the remotes to work each box with a code that you can set your self.

HUMAX boxes work on remote setting 1 but the remotes can be changed to work between 1 and 6 settings so you can have more then one box in the same room.
    power off one box with no power at all and then point the remote for the box you wish to change remote code at the on box and at the same time press 0 and OK buttons at the same time and on screen a message will pop up telling which code the remote is set and you just need to pick between 1 to 6 and press that number on the remote for that box to work with that code.
    And now power the other box up and the two boxes should now work in same room..