Options

Bad Wolf Returns?

124»

Comments

• Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    exactly! If Rose was bad wolf than I shall put it down to bad writing. I can't get my head around it, but then it may just be me being incredibly thick

It's a predestination paradox, in much the same vein as the episode of Blink with the DVD easter eggs. She knew she was Bad Wolf, because when she had the heart of the TARDIS in her, she realised that those references to Bad Wolf were from her in the first place. So it's a little loop in time.

But she most definitely, as it stands right now, is Bad Wolf. It was explained, and laid out. There really is no debate about it, until further evidence for any other explanation is shown - which there hasn't been.
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    It's a predestination paradox, in much the same vein as the episode of Blink with the DVD easter eggs. She knew she was Bad Wolf, because when she had the heart of the TARDIS in her, she realised that those references to Bad Wolf were from her in the first place. So it's a little loop in time.

But she most definitely, as it stands right now, is Bad Wolf. It was explained, and laid out. There really is no debate about it, until further evidence for any other explanation is shown - which there hasn't been.

And being Bad Wolf, she has to be at the Time War to fight the Daleks with the Doctor. Now it all makes sense! :eek:
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

There's only no debate if you're overly literal-minded.

There's no evidence that Bad Wolf is a thing, a power, an entity, a title - anything other than a couple of recognisable words. Rose is simply saying that she's the reason those words appear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's only no debate if you're overly literal-minded.

There's no evidence that Bad Wolf is a thing, a power, an entity, a title - anything other than a couple of recognisable words. Rose is simply saying that she's the reason those words appear.

It's not 'overly' literally minded to take what's said, seen and explained through exposition as the way things stand until some other evidence is thrown up. If there was just a little niggle there, then I would possibly have the same feeling.

As it is, they would have to invent something by retconning it. Bad Wolf being everywhere was the lead-in for Rose to be able to return to Satellite Five - or the Game Station as it is known in the two parter.

It's pretty conclusive, according to the in-show explanation. If one doesn't take those explanations, then I'm surprised one would be satisfied with anything shown in scripted television, as one would always be thinking something else was going on no matter how well explained.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It's not 'overly' literally minded to take what's said, seen and explained through exposition as the way things stand until some other evidence is thrown up. If there was just a little niggle there, then I would possibly have the same feeling.

That's not what I was saying. I object only to the assumption that Bad Wolf is anything other than just a name, regardless of whether Rose said the words, "I am the Bad Wolf".

In X-Men, when Wolverine calls himself that, he's not saying that he's actually a wolverine, or that there is something called The Wolverine that he has become. However, when Jean Grey calls herself Phoenix, it's because there is an actual entity that calls itself that that has control of her.

Some people think Rose is akin to the latter, but I think her statement is closer to the former.

But apart from that - I agree, the purpose of the name has been used and dropped. Any occurrence of it is likely to be an in-joke or reference only, as used in Turn Left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's not what I was saying. I object only to the assumption that Bad Wolf is anything other than just a name, regardless of whether Rose said the words, "I am the Bad Wolf".

In X-Men, when Wolverine calls himself that, he's not saying that he's actually a wolverine, or that there is something called The Wolverine that he has become. However, when Jean Grey calls herself Phoenix, it's because there is an actual entity that calls itself that that has control of her.

Some people think Rose is akin to the latter, but I think her statement is closer to the former.

But apart from that - I agree, the purpose of the name has been used and dropped. Any occurrence of it is likely to be an in-joke or reference only, as used in Turn Left.

Trying to explain the difference between being an actual character called Bad Wolf and being the arbiter of the device Bad Wolf was something I missed out on purpose. Of course she isn't actual living breathing Bad Wolf, but it came from her to lead her back. I thought I'd explained at least that bit!I'm sorry if I confused anyone. :o
  • Options
    monkeyscratchmonkeyscratch Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    think bad wolf on the poster is just a way of advising us that piper is in it without scaring us with a pic or making her look like a main character, think people are reading too much into this, Clara is obviously more important :P
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think bad wolf on the poster is just a way of advising us that piper is in it without scaring us with a pic

Will the BBC3 talking heads programme feature 'celebrities' lazily telling us about how they had to "hide behind the sofa" whenever Billie Piper was on screen?
  • Options
    monkeyscratchmonkeyscratch Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Will the BBC3 talking heads programme feature 'celebrities' lazily telling us about how they had to "hide behind the sofa" whenever Billie Piper was on screen?

probably, hug a dalek anyday before her, at least the daleks are metal, not wooden
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably, hug a dalek anyday

I am now imagining a parallel universe where Cameron's hug a hoodie speech was very slightly different.