Options

Smooth National Radio Thread

Comments

• Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the music Smooth play, it's the repetitiveness that bugs everyone I think.

I just don't see the point of ditching people who have crafted their way through radio for years and years for TV presenters. I actually liked both Castle and Garraway on GMTV but I don't think hey make/will make great Smooth presenters.

I also don't see the point in bringing in TV names to do a handful of that was, this is links at a rate of about 5 an hour, if that.

When Smooth launched they wanted to be a serious contender for Radio 2's audience. I'm afraid they've got a hell of a long way to go as I feel Radio 2's audience want more than what Smooth have to offer.

Yes but Radio 2 mainly has chat and has TV personalities such as Graham Norton
  • Options
    stifadostifado Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Goldenage wrote: »
    I think Carlos still lives in the North West by looking at his Facebook/Twitter pictures. Local programming returning to Smooth North West. Shall we put 2 and 2 together?

No you shouldn't. When asked (on either Facebook or Twitter - can't remember which) he replied "Definitely not".
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel Williams sounds bored at the best of times but overnight I would rather have back to back music than someone who is only doing this for the money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    Nigel Williams sounds bored at the best of times but overnight I would rather have back to back music than someone who is only doing this for the money.

If UK radio had no employed staff but was run purely by volunteers then I think the quality would be considerably diminished!
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

Most presenters do it for the money and for 4 hours sitting on your arse it's usually good money. Ask Nigel Williams to do it 'for the love of it'and I xan imagine what he'd say. Two words and one of them will be off.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Should make him a perfect candidate for West Midlands drive again then...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Most presenters do it for the money and for 4 hours sitting on your arse it's usually good money. Ask Nigel Williams to do it 'for the love of it'and I xan imagine what he'd say. Two words and one of them will be off.

Actually, Nigel does love what he does on the Jazz FM afternoon show but, like almost anyone, in any profession, would surely give it up for a better paying gig.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Song book with im Anthony davis is just the normal crap repetitive songs. How can people enjoy this type of radio. Same songs which are good but over and over is just pathetic. And why give it such a stupid name when they play the great american and british songbook tunes all day and night.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Believer- wrote: »
    Actually, Nigel does love what he does on the Jazz FM afternoon show but, like almost anyone, in any profession, would surely give it up for a better paying gig.

Yes, i agree i have heard Nigel on Jazz Fm and he sounds more interested then he does on Smooth!! Saying that though, i thought he was at his best on BBC Sussex and Surrey when he was covering shows on there.
  • Options
    bahhhhbahhhh Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    and another thing......
    will somebody tell that Gary King to STOP telling us his name every time he speaks!
    after every song before every song...its too much - i heard it the first time! and don't really need telling over and over and over again....
  • Options
    OrmeMacOrmeMac Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    American Song book with im Anthony davis is just the normal crap repetitive songs. How can people enjoy this type of radio. Same songs which are good but over and over is just pathetic. And why give it such a stupid name when they play the great american and british songbook tunes all day and night.

Utter rot, there were several tracks played that are not generally played at any other time. Anthony also spoke a lot more than during Drive with more details about the tracks being played. However it did sound voice-tracked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OrmeMac wrote: »
    Utter rot, there were several tracks played that are not generally played at any other time. Anthony also spoke a lot more than during Drive with more details about the tracks being played. However it did sound voice-tracked.

Yes, and the music on Saturday night show was excellent also, with loads of songs not on the normal playlist.
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    stifado wrote: »
    No you shouldn't. When asked (on either Facebook or Twitter - can't remember which) he replied "Definitely not".

Contractual obligations may determine that response though. Maybe not.
  • Options
    tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Having followed this thread over the last few months and not having listened to Smooth for any length of time for a long while I thought I'd sample Tina Hobley's show yesterday. What I found was that it is difficult to get too worked up about it because it is just so mediocre. It seemed the very definition of bland, wallpaper radio. Clearly voice-tracked, minimal presenter content, lots of segues and she's clearly been told to speak in those hushed tunes.

The strange thing for me is that when you read a release from Smooth, and there have been a few of those in recent weeks, Tina's name is always included in the roster of Smooth's big names despite the fact that unless you watch Holby City you wouldn't know who she was.

I have a feeling that the other new arrivals at Smooth will also fall into this same category. Having heard a bit of Kate Garraway the structure and style of her and Hobley's shows seem very similar.

They're not fantastic must-listen shows, they're not really terrible, they're just......there.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    tezenis wrote: »
    Having followed this thread over the last few months and not having listened to Smooth for any length of time for a long while I thought I'd sample Tina Hobley's show yesterday. What I found was that it is difficult to get too worked up about it because it is just so mediocre. It seemed the very definition of bland, wallpaper radio. Clearly voice-tracked, minimal presenter content, lots of segues and she's clearly been told to speak in those hushed tunes.

The strange thing for me is that when you read a release from Smooth, and there have been a few of those in recent weeks, Tina's name is always included in the roster of Smooth's big names despite the fact that unless you watch Holby City you wouldn't know who she was.

I have a feeling that the other new arrivals at Smooth will also fall into this same category. Having heard a bit of Kate Garraway the structure and style of her and Hobley's shows seem very similar.

They're not fantastic must-listen shows, they're not really terrible, they're just......there.

Sums it up nicely.
    In other words BLAND AND BORING.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant get into Smooth, I have tried recently as I wont be able to listen to Gold in the car much longer but sadly Smooth will not be my new station of choice.

As others have said it just seems like a wall to wall bland fest. Tina Hobley whispering nothing down the mic, Kate Garraway sounding like she's going through the motions, no stop bland music - it really is the definition of wallpaper radio.

I am not a Global hater, I like Gold, I sometimes like Heart but what has happened to Smooth is a disgrace. I used to listen a few years back but it started to be destroyed by GMG so I stopped, Global have carried on this destruction - how long before they axe the DJ's altogether and just put Richard Park's Ipod on a loop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As i have already said if Global believe that Gold listeners will move to Smooth I think they are barking up the wrong tree. I spoke to a load of Gold fans at a party last weekend and none of them said they will be retuning to Smooth.
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    As i have already said if Global believe that Gold listeners will move to Smooth I think they are barking up the wrong tree. I spoke to a load of Gold fans at a party last weekend and none of them said they will be retuning to Smooth.

This is what in the marketing world (you'll know this) they call the 'spiral of deceit' - it's what lost Kinnock the 1992 election. Apparently NOBODY was ever going to vote Tory again.
  • Options
    bahhhhbahhhh Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Cant get into Smooth, I have tried recently as I wont be able to listen to Gold in the car much longer but sadly Smooth will not be my new station of choice.

As others have said it just seems like a wall to wall bland fest. Tina Hobley whispering nothing down the mic, Kate Garraway sounding like she's going through the motions, no stop bland music - it really is the definition of wallpaper radio.

I am not a Global hater, I like Gold, I sometimes like Heart but what has happened to Smooth is a disgrace. I used to listen a few years back but it started to be destroyed by GMG so I stopped, Global have carried on this destruction - how long before they axe the DJ's altogether and just put Richard Park's Ipod on a loop?

Now that sounds like a plan! - just play music - i personally just want 'background music' at work , this constant bombardment of 'text me,facebook me,twitter me' is tedious - most of these 'dj's' are, as already pointed out just going through the motions - they have nothing of ANY interest to say to me - if i want to listen to discussion i will actively search for a station that will give me that.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spoke to a load of Gold fans at a party last weekend and none of them said they will be retuning to Smooth.

That's good news as they don't have to retune anyway, Smooth will just replace Gold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok if we must split hairs they will not listen to Smooth full stop.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recent posts reminds me of a guy in a pub I used to go in who would tell everyone at length about his political thinkings.

In the end people would just agree just so they could get away from him. I've never seen a bar clear so quickly when he started walking towards it!
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sums it up nicely.
    In other words BLAND AND BORING.
    Or as Global see it
    Following investment from parent company Global, the station is branding itself as "Your Relaxing Music Mix" to mark its new additions.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a553408/myleene-klass-kate-garraway-join-relaunched-smooth-radio.html#ixzz2veqEtJZP
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
    As what happened with Magic London, Smooth probably will end up increasing it's Rajar figures, in addition to gaining some of Gold's listeners?
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Relaxing Music Mix. Yep agree with that. So relaxing repetitive and bland it will help you fall asleep even during the day.
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Carlos is not wasting any time moving on to pastures new, He is down to Sit in for keith Middleton on Saturday night 10pm-1am on the BBC across the wast midlands!! Good on him!! it should be a good listen,