Was DTCs cast cull at EastEnders last year rather tame?

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
Forum Member
Tame in terms of who was axed and how many were axed.

And if it was tame does it make a major cast cull under the next ep much more likely even more desirable?

Most of those axed werent big names or big characters and werent all that popular with a big following and in a sense were the "easy ones" or the low hanging fruit who were axed.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should there be constant calls for cast culls though? I'd prefer him to get rid of a small number of people and try to work with those who have potential but haven't been utilised very well. Which is exactly what DTC seems to be trying to do.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was about right. However I don't think the balance of stories for who was left is quite right. They seem under or overcooked.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why Dexter hasn't been axed yet, he should have gone when Ava and Sam did
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,696
    Forum Member
    CamCam wrote: »
    Why should there be constant calls for cast culls though? I'd prefer him to get rid of a small number of people and try to work with those who have potential but haven't been utilised very well. Which is exactly what DTC seems to be trying to do.

I havent called for a cast cull.
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    I think it was about right. However I don't think the balance of stories for who was left is quite right. They seem under or overcooked.

Whos undercooked in your opinion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not chester, thank god!!!!
    Forum Member
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    I don't get why Dexter hasn't been axed yet, he should have gone when Ava and Sam did

I think hes going to remain near invisible until his contract runs out and then virtually vanish.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Tame in terms of who was axed and how many were axed.

And if it was tame does it make a major cast cull under the next ep much more likely even more desirable?

Most of those axed werent big names or big characters and werent all that popular with a big following and in a sense were the "easy ones" or the low hanging fruit who were axed.
    Not really? He axed 11 characters (AJ, Carl, Poppy, Kirsty, Ava, Sam, Alice, Joey, Jake, Sadie, Lucy), that's more than enough

Your thread makes no sense. You're saying you wanted him to axe big characters? What, do you want legends axed? :confused:
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Not really? He axed 11 characters (AJ, Carl, Poppy, Kirsty, Ava, Sam, Alice, Joey, Jake, Sadie, Lucy), that's more than enough

Your thread makes no sense. You're saying you wanted him to axe big characters? What, do you want legends axed? :confused:

Sadie wasnt axed I dont think and neither was David Witts aka Joey.

Ive tried to start a discussion,I havent actually said that tame is bad ,Im asking if it is?
    Forum Member
    Sadie wasnt axed I dont think and neither was David Witts aka Joey.

Ive tried to start a discussion,I havent actually said that tame is bad ,Im asking if it is?
    Ah yes, my bad.

And yes, you started a discussion - I contributed to it. What's the problem?
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danny was axed too :(
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, my bad.

And yes, you started a discussion - I contributed to it. What's the problem?

You said my thread made no sense on the basis I wanted big characters axed which was a total misreading of the intention behind my opening post.
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Danny was axed too :(

I regret Dannys underuse and axing but the reality is many of those axed were barely onscreen in any substantive way so in a sense axing them wasnt a big risk.The only axing that was a big risk imo was Lucy.

Why Lorraine Newman went to the trouble to bring Danny back with NO plan is baffling tome:confused:
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultimately he axed almost everyone who needed to go at the time. Out of those left, only Dexter should have gone with them but I guess many would argue the case for Fatboy and Kim but as both have such minor roles to play these days, I think they're fine to stay and pop up every now and again.

I'd make a case for Sadie staying too. Would have been good to have her around when Lucy's murder came along but also I believe with more time she could have been a decent addition to the cast.
    Forum Member
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    Ultimately he axed almost everyone who needed to go at the time. Out of those left, only Dexter should have gone with them but I guess many would argue the case for Fatboy and Kim but as both have such minor roles to play these days, I think they're fine to stay and pop up every now and again.

I'd make a case for Sadie staying too. Would have been good to have her around when Lucy's murder came along but also I believe with more time she could have been a decent addition to the cast.

I would happily swop Dexter for Sadie whp I felt we were only just scratching the surface with when she left.

If they had off been willing to make AJ more three dimensional then I think him staying could have worked out well for the Masoods.
    Forum Member
    You said my thread made no sense on the basis I wanted big characters axed which was a total misreading of the intention behind my opening post.
    And I replied disagreeing with the point you suggested?....:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would happily swop Dexter for Sadie whp I felt we were only just scratching the surface with when she left.

If they had off been willing to make AJ more three dimensional then I think him staying could have worked out well for the Masoods.

Yeah, I agree. I'd have much rather seen AJ, Sadie and Danny stay and seen Dexter axed with Tina and/or Tosh not introduced.
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    I think he made the right call with the characters he axed, got rid of a lot of useless characters who didn't really contribute much to the show. I think the only one of out the group that he axed that I would have kept was Alice, the rest were pretty throwaway characters. Nobody is yelling from the rooftops for the return of AJ and Joey Branning and for good reason too. I think EE has a good cast right now and I agree with most of the calls for Dexter to get the axe, but other than that, I don't see much of a problem. I think more characters - like the Masoods - could be used more but right now, I think the balance is pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he made the right call with the characters he axed, got rid of a lot of useless characters who didn't really contribute much to the show. I think the only one of out the group that he axed that I would have kept was Alice, the rest were pretty throwaway characters. Nobody is yelling from the rooftops for the return of AJ and Joey Branning and for good reason too. I think EE has a good cast right now and I agree with most of the calls for Dexter to get the axe, but other than that, I don't see much of a problem. I think more characters - like the Masoods - could be used more but right now, I think the balance is pretty good.

You're quite right. While I wouldn't have axed Sadie for example (and you Alice), neither of us particularly miss their presence and not jumping to set up a "Bring Back Sadie/Alice" campaign.

In the grand scheme of things, as you said, he made the right call for the most part.
    Forum Member

In terms of Kirsty I go back and forth and cannot make my mind up.Kierston was a good catch ability wise for the show and I sometimes feel in the case of Kirsty Branning that they should maybe have made the effort to make a useless character going around in circles into a productive useful character not going.around in circles?I feel she may have been worth the effort.
    Forum Member
    And I replied disagreeing with the point you suggested?....:confused:

And thats fine:)

You said my thread was useless and that I was saying I wanted big characters gone.I just counteracted your mischaracterisation of my intention and opinion with my own view:)

My thread title is a question not a statement of my view.The opener was playing devils advocate on what could be an interesting topic.I dont see asking the question or playing devils advocate as useless and thats the meaning behind my subsequent reply to you :)
  • Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entire Spraggan family have recently been axed too...
    Forum Member
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    The entire Spraggan family have recently been axed too...

I actually think their axing is a mistake but Im more meaning the initial cast cull thats decided upon when the ep first starts in the job.The Spraggans axing eas a response to Bianca leaving.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the right characters went IMO, I'd have added Dexter and Fatboy to the list but as neither have been around much this year so it hasn't really bothered me that they stayed.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the whole point of a cast cull is that you get rid of characters who aren't working or have limited potential. Getting rid of popular characters would be reckless. Peeps on here are still screaming blue murder over Pat going and Pam actually quit the show, its because she didn't want to be killed off, so imagine what they'd be like if someone popular was axed.