New £1 coin design

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Is there any real need for 1 and 2 pence coins now ? They buy nothing and are pretty much pointless.

yes, for instance at petrol stations pumps
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the manufacturers of vending machines get some sort of financial dispensation, as these will all need changing?

Not to mention the millions of shopping trolleys...well thousands.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Is there any real need for 1 and 2 pence coins now ? They buy nothing and are pretty much pointless.

But get rid and see prices and inflation rise, no one will round down to the nearest five or ten they will all increase.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Hooray.
    A design harking back to the "old days".
    Summers were summers and winters were winters.
    Cricket being played on the village green.
    Warm foaming ale whilst watching.
    The District Nurse cycles past, skirt billowing.
    A flash of suspender and stocking top.
    Coal tar soap in the tin bath, in front of the fire.
    No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish.
    All our heads painted purple, because we had ringworm.
    Olive oil in the chemist, for our ears.
    The woman had my dinner on the table when I got in from the pub.
    The box of OMO on the windowsill.
  • Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should replace all coins and notes with the following series of coins.

1p 2p 10p 25p 50p 75p 99p £1 £1.50 £2 £3 £5 £7.50 £10 £15 £20 £25 £40 £50 £75 £100 £150 £200
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    it's a very odd shape :o is the £2 coin gonna be the same ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »

i have one of those round coins..do we get new shaped coins then :confused:
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i have one of those round coins..do we get new shaped coins then :confused:

Well, if they have to change the trolleys to accommodate the new coins they'll have to change those too I suppose.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like it, last thing you want is to have no faith in your currency, you don't get a refund if you end up with a counterfeit coin.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »

1p 2p 10p 25p 50p 75p 99p £1 £1.50 £2 £3 £5 £7.50 £10 £15 £20 £25 £40 £50 £75 £100 £150 £200

Thats way too many coins and notes. I think we have it about right with the current range. We could possibly get rid of the £2 coin.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

Now the 99p coin would come in very in the 99p store when you have loads of bags and they hand you your receipt and a penny that you have no hands to stick anywhere.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The £1 coin will be bi-metallic and have 12 sides from 2017, with a design that will be much harder to fake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26632863

It'll take getting used to, but I quite like it. A change from the norm.

I like it and something needs to be done about the fake pound situation.
    I only have 2 pound coins on me at the moment and after listening to a discussion on the Jeremy Vine show today about how to spot them, one is a fake.

One caller who rang up had on had one dated 1962:o. I have one that has a lob sided Queen's head that doesn't match the tail side.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    But get rid and see prices and inflation rise, no one will round down to the nearest five or ten they will all increase.

They said that when the got rid of the 1/2p, but it's negligible. It would be worth a minute blip of inflation just to get rid of the damn 1p.

Then change the size of the 2p to the current 1p. Scrap the 5 and the 50.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Thats way too many coins and notes. I think we have it about right with the current range. We could possibly get rid of the £2 coin.

I love the £2 coins. Whenever I get one I chuck it in a money box. They all add up like that.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish it was Gold in the middle and Silver on the outside like the 2 Euro coin, just to make things a bit more interesting.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it's like the threepenny bits

When I was young, that was a commonplace saying

Get your threppenny's out....

Not very PC I know :blush:
  • Nox_1Nox_1 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »

Good point - I hadn't thought about that. I wonder if anyone has calculated the cost to industry in changing mechanisms to accept a new pound coin.

A few years ago, when I first heard about counterfeit coins I did check the coins in my purse periodically and managed to identify half a dozen duds. In theory you're meant to take them to the police station and hand them in, but they won't give you shiny real pound coins to replace them. In due course I forgot about them and spent them as everyone does.

As the value of a pound decreases the margins involved in manufacturing and distributing forgeries must be getting very tight! I think the government should just wait until it's so worthless it's not worth the bother of counterfeiting them.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like it. Im moving to Scotland.

No good, they want the pound as well.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm rather taken with the new design, it does remind me of the old 3d coin and you could buy a bag of chips with one of those when I was a nipper and if lucky get some 'scraps' on top (bits of batter off the fish)... you might still be able to (in some chip shops) do the same with the new coin lol
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

God no. I want to be able to walk home after I've been paid for the day :o

As for the design, it's a Meh from me. They should have had some holographic 3D image in a transparent centre section. That would really have made the forgers worry.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    As for the design on the reverse of the coin, something should be done to introduce symbols for the home nations once more.

The current royal standard is so cliché.

On the old pound coins there was the 'dieu et mon droit' crest for the English pound, a leek on the Welsh pound, and a thistle on the Scottish one. I forget what was on the NI.

Something tasteful, developing that tradition would be nice.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    On the old pound coins there was the 'dieu et mon droit' crest for the English pound, a leek on the Welsh pound, and a thistle on the Scottish one. I forget what was on the NI.
    That Celtic Cross one was from Northern Ireland. There have been other designs from there too, including a plant and crown based one like the leek and crown or thistle and crown. England had an oak tree on its version of that theme.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add me to the "I like the double coloured £2 coin so will no doubt like this new £1 coin design too" list :)

And as for the shopping trolleys - if it is roughly the same size as the current £1 coin then I'm thinking it'll fit.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall when a two pound coin was referred to as a ' drinks token'. Alas those days are gone.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I was watching the news and some guy was talking about how the new coin will affect his vending machine business.

To be honest anything that costs the vending machine industry time and money has got to be a good thing.

The amount of money I have lost through faulty vending machines is quite high. There is never a way of getting an easy refund.

Serves them right.