Does swapping between two different glasses prescription harm your eyes?

Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had new glasses prescribed last year, at which point my old glasses and prescription sunglasses were four years old (as I didn't bother with a new pair two years earlier in 2011, even though my eyesight had changed). So my question is, will switching between my new glasses prescribed last year my prescription sunglasses from 2009 harm my eyes/eyesight? The reason for asking is that my eyes seem to feel strange/tired at the moment and I'm wondering if this is why as I am wearing my sunglasses outside with it being sunny and then swapping to my glasses when indoors. Thanks for reading and any advice offered.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably depends on how different the prescriptions are. I have some old sunglasses that I wear sometimes which have a slightly different prescriptions and it takes my eyes a few minutes to adjust but after than I'm fine. However if you were to use ones with a big difference then you will likely to be putting too much strain on your eyes.

It's not worth giving yourself eye strain by wearing the wrong glasses. Get yourself a new pair.
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won;t harm your eyes or sight, but it can cause eyestrain and headaches.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I'm very shortsighted & have worn glasses since I was 4 - I'm 56 now.
    Only yesterday I had an eye test as I have had to have my retina stapled four times as apparently the walls are thin and the shape of my eyeball is causing more of an astigmatism - hence my glasses are expensive, Zeiss, varifocals etc - and told the optician I use my older glasses, prescription at the gym & at night - even during the day at times - he said it was fine -Boots, btw. :)
  • Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. I think I am going to get a new pair of prescription sunglasses at some point soon as I am probably due a new pair but glad to hear swapping between prescriptions shouldn't damage my eyes/sight.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done that for years.
    I have my current prescription as my 'good' glasses, and wear my previous prescription specs for work (gardener), which includes driving.

It works for me because the distance prescription tends to change less than the reading one, so the previous specs are fine for driving.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very shortsighted & have worn glasses since I was 4 - I'm 56 now.
    Only yesterday I had an eye test as I have had to have my retina stapled four times as apparently the walls are thin and the shape of my eyeball is causing more of an astigmatism - hence my glasses are expensive, Zeiss, varifocals etc - and told the optician I use my older glasses, prescription at the gym & at night - even during the day at times - he said it was fine -Boots, btw. :)

I don't even know what this means, but it sounds nasty, and painful :o
  • alan kearnalan kearn Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    I had new glasses prescribed last year, at which point my old glasses and prescription sunglasses were four years old (as I didn't bother with a new pair two years earlier in 2011, even though my eyesight had changed). So my question is, will switching between my new glasses prescribed last year my prescription sunglasses from 2009 harm my eyes/eyesight? The reason for asking is that my eyes seem to feel strange/tired at the moment and I'm wondering if this is why as I am wearing my sunglasses outside with it being sunny and then swapping to my glasses when indoors. Thanks for reading and any advice offered.

If you still have your eye prescription give this internet company a try.
    I get my prescription from the high street stores but never ever buy from them. There is one measurement the high street opticians dont give you but you can ask for it it is puppilary measurement this is the distance between your eyes.
    there are a fair number of spec suppliers on the web and if you have not got this measurement they will tell you how to measure it yourself.

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/

I have used the company 6/8 years without a problem.