BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 42)

Comments

• honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Morning everyone. :)
    The lady sitting beside Anders Breivik looks exactly like Rosanne Barr. :cool:
    His insistence that he does not want to be classed as insane and sent to a hospital reminds me of the fable...

Brer Rabbit is caught by the fox and tells him to boil him, skin him, burn him, fry him, anything at all but please don't throw him in the briar patch.
    Naturally, the fox chucks him in and Brer Rabbit pops up and says "Ya ya Mr Fox! Born and bred in the briar patch, Mr Fox, Ya ya! :p
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Morning Hicky, well apparently you need rain down there. : p
    Don't need rain where i live, we have plenty of water.
    About the only place in the country that has it.
    Hope that refers to you and not me :p: D

Morning Hicky : D

Well just think the rain is good for the garden and then you might appreciate it more :D
    My whole garden is on automatic watering, in fact i looked at the watering computer earlier and it said watering had been suspended due to the the rain we had earlier.:D

I've put the Bird Bath on it's own watering computer as well, the birds use an awful lot mainly bathing in the summer so it will fill it up twice a day depending on the program, could set it to more if i wanted.
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    Me too, and Bob was under Thelma's thumb:rolleyes:

Morning guys - cold and windy here, feels like November except that the sky is lighter.

More sorting and throwing out today, makes me feel so virtuous when I see the 'Out' bag filling up! Shall Freecycle some of the old computer related stuff, leads and wires that I have clue about. I have a whold shelf full of dictionaries, English, French, German, Spanish and some Psychology, Biology, Human Biology and English textbooks which I'll rehome upstairs if I can find a bookcase which isn't already groaning:rolleyes:

I found a box of French cassettes which I used when I was coaching for GCSE and A level - they must be donkey's years old, who has a cassette player now?
    Morning JoJo.:D
    His insistence that he does not want to be classed as insane and sent to a hospital reminds me of the fable...

Brer Rabbit is caught by the fox and tells him to boil him, skin him, burn him, fry him, anything at all but please don't throw him in the briar patch.
    Naturally, the fox chucks him in and Brer Rabbit pops up and says "Ya ya Mr Fox! Born and bred in the briar patch, Mr Fox, Ya ya! :p
    Morning Honey.:D
  • LittsisLittsis Posts: 11,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too, and Bob was under Thelma's thumb:rolleyes:

More sorting and throwing out today, makes me feel so virtuous when I see the 'Out' bag filling up! Shall Freecycle some of the old computer related stuff, leads and wires that I have clue about. I have a whold shelf full of dictionaries, English, French, German, Spanish and some Psychology, Biology, Human Biology and English textbooks which I'll rehome upstairs if I can find a bookcase which isn't already groaning:rolleyes:

I found a box of French cassettes which I used when I was coaching for GCSE and A level - they must be donkey's years old, who has a cassette player now?

Why do you still need all those dictionaries and textbooks.

I still have a cassette player in my study and in the car.

I enjoyed the Likely Lads. But I didn't like either of them, and certainly could not prefer one over the other, both being sad but funny specimens. In real life "Terry" was the more successful actor, indeed "Bob" had a very sad time.
    Forum Member
    I've taken my car in for the tyres to be changed back for the summer, seems plenty of tread on them for now, don't want to wear my Winter Tyres too much in the dry weather.

I'll store them till November then get them but back one.
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sane or insane he needs executing.
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Littsis wrote: »
    Why do you still need all those dictionaries and textbooks.

I still have a cassette player in my study and in the car.

I enjoyed the Likely Lads. But I didn't like either of them, and certainly could not prefer one over the other, both being sad but funny specimens. In real life "Terry" was the more successful actor, indeed "Bob" had a very sad time.

Some of them have sentimental value - first one I was given, the ones I used for degree revision and similar. The textbooks - not sure why I need them, or if I do!! I'll Freecyle those which are duplicated but I'll keep some of the older ones as they have all the irregular verb tables and other grammatical information which is always useful. I guess you can fnd out anything you need to know on the interweb these days, but I like to hold a book in my hand:cool:

Severe dearth of information about Yoshi this week - how's he doing?:cool:
    Forum Member
    Sane or insane he needs executing.

I'd prefer to think he was insane - if he isn't he's even more of a monster than if he is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer to think he was insane - if he isn't he's even more of a monster than if he is.

I think we all like to think people who commit such heinous acts are insane but unfortunately there are some truly evil people out there who know exactly what they are doing and take great pleasure from these sort of acts. He will be a constant threat and needs putting down.
    Forum Member

If we declared him insane because of his actions that would mean that a good percentage of Germans in the war were insane too.
    In fact it is very easy to make people commit atrocities if the authority figure is strong enough and they shoulder the responsibility.

French experiment...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8571929.stm

It is also apparent that public opinion is very easily swayed by the media and we can see this by the recent changing of opinion in many about sick and disabled people, immigrants and other vulnerable groups, when bombarded with (in my opinion) propaganda.
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ’d affernoon. :)

Breivik seems to have a completely different interpretation of the world to most people, something that some dictators seem to have had. Not sure if that’s insanity or not. Whatever it is, execution is too good for him, I think flaying alive would be more suitable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If we declared him insane because of his actions that would mean that a good percentage of Germans in the war were insane too.
    In fact it is very easy to make people commit atrocities if the authority figure is strong enough and they shoulder the responsibility.

It is also apparent that public opinion is very easily swayed by the media and we can see this by the recent changing of opinion in many about sick and disabled people, immigrants and other vulnerable groups, when bombarded with (in my opinion) propaganda.

Derren Brown did a Milgram experiment.

I like to think that it wouldn’t work with me, but you never know.
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »

Breivik seems to have a completely different interpretation of the world to most people, something that some dictators seem to have had. Not sure if that’s insanity or not. Whatever it is, execution is too good for him, I think flaying alive would be more suitable.

Observing and questioning him in hopefully very secure accommodation could be of benefit in helping understand how this happened and hopefully try to stop it happening again.
    It seems that if he is declared fit for trial they will sentence him for each murder to run one after the other so he will never be released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Observing and questioning him in hopefully very secure accommodation could be of benefit in helping understand how this happened and hopefully try to stop it happening again.
    It seems that if he is declared fit for trial they will sentence him for each murder to run one after the other so he will never be released.

Breivik’s wiki page.

Seems to be a vain b•ggar with a massive ego.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the chances of that are probably zilch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth a look Balders - the guy who presented it is a bit annoying but the content in one hour is excellent. I think they're doing all the decades since in the following weeks.

Good idea - you choose and let them argue about it!

At least you have the lunch to look forward to:cool:

The 70s was my childhood being 6-15 followed by the 80s which were my drinking years

I've always though no one of sanity could have thought up the 'Final Solution' same goes for all the Nazi hierarchy such as rat face Goebbels and pig Goerring.

There is actual an argument that the insanity of Hitler helped the Allies win the war. Numerous accounts of when he made strategic and tactical decisions against all political and military sense. Gave up the Battle of Britain to bomb London when the RAF were on their knees, invading Russia hence opening up another front, logistics wise alone he'd never win, several occasions going against the generals advice in Russia, obsessed with D-day being through Calais instead of Normandy resulting in the mass Panzer divisions been held in Calais even when the Generals were reporting the Normandy landings. Also interferring in the scientists and engineers work - its been suggested they could have had the Bomb before us.

Still deserved all they got mind.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This can be applied to terrorists. They really don't think they are evil but are acting for the good of Allah.

Wasn't without reason that propaganda was a massive part of WW2 still is today with the WMD etc.
    Forum Member
    Derren Brown did a Milgram experiment.

I like to think that it wouldn’t work with me, but you never know.
    Thank you for that Gemo, I had missed seeing it. I am not a it surprised that more than half of them were prepared to torture the others because they were told it was ok. :(
    Breivik’s wiki page.

Seems to be a vain b•ggar with a massive ego.
    Yes. I wonder if his upbringing had anything to do with it?
    I think the chances of that are probably zilch.
    I expect you are right. I think capital punishment is not used in Norway.
    The 70s was my childhood being 6-15 followed by the 80s which were my drinking years

I've always though no one of sanity could have thought up the 'Final Solution' same goes for all the Nazi hierarchy such as rat face Goebbels and pig Goerring.

There is actual an argument that the insanity of Hitler helped the Allies win the war. Numerous accounts of when he made strategic and tactical decisions against all political and military sense. Gave up the Battle of Britain to bomb London when the RAF were on their knees, invading Russia hence opening up another front, logistics wise alone he'd never win, several occasions going against the generals advice in Russia, obsessed with D-day being through Calais instead of Normandy resulting in the mass Panzer divisions been held in Calais even when the Generals were reporting the Normandy landings. Also interferring in the scientists and engineers work - its been suggested they could have had the Bomb before us.

Still deserved all they got mind.:mad:
    I can understand Hitler being stark raving bonkers, although i believe there was an element of evil too, but it is difficult to understand how so many went along with it.
    Forum Member

People do what they are told to do, simple really.
    They always put sentences to run concurrent don't they, depends on the country i suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for that Gemo, I had missed seeing it. I am not a it surprised that more than half of them were prepared to torture the others because they were told it was ok. :(

I can understand Hitler being stark raving bonkers, although i believe there was an element of evil too, but it is difficult to understand how so many went along with it.

No it isnt - perhaps they could leave him unattended in a room full of relatives of the murder victims.
    Forum Member

The others went along with him as it was either that or die.

The same as all dictators, all those that disagree are eliminated.
    Forum Member
    Hicky wrote: »
    People do what they are told to do, simple really.

They always put sentences to run concurrent don't they, depends on the country i suppose.
    I suppose so, but it depends on how the trial is performed.
    Hicky wrote: »
    The others went along with him as it was either that or die.

The same as all dictators, all those that disagree are eliminated.

Not always. There are plenty of examples of people "shopping" their neighbours when there was no punishment or reward for them.
    In Germany there were whole groups of people who were never in any danger yet there was very little protest. The regime was not feared at all, in fact an awful lot were very pleased with the government.

Edit...
    Sounds familiar. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

I'm very aware of the 'mob mentality' and how under certain circumstances many thousands of people can be whipped into a frenzy and encouraged to carry out all manner of atrocities. There are countless studies on the subject and as broadly 'a behaviouralist' it's always interested me.

There are still those who are clinically insane and thus deserving of incarceration and treatment, but there are also those who have become proficient in convincing the authorities of insanity where none exists.
    Forum Member
    I suppose so, but it depends on how the trial is performed.

Not always. There are plenty of examples of people "shopping" their neighbours when there was no punishment or reward for them.
    In Germany there were whole groups of people who were never in any danger yet there was very little protest. The regime was not feared at all, in fact an awful lot were very pleased with the government.

Edit...
    Sounds familiar. :rolleyes:
    The ordinary civilian didn't have any idea of what was happening, and they weren't in danger from Hitler because he hadn't asked them to do anything.
    If he asked, you did it, end of.
This discussion has been closed.