Alternative to Skybox

My invalid stepmother now watches a lot of TV (she had a stroke and is housebound) and often misses stuff she would like to see because of schedule clashes.

She heard that with a Skybox you can record programmes etc but I think it would be pointless to get a Sky subscription as there is nothing on it which would really interest her - Freeview does her fine.

Then I seemed to remember that there are various gadgets about which do more or less the same thing, where you can not only record to a hard drive, but also pause and rewinde programmes. Anyone with any more useful info and some recommendations?

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All twin tuner pvrs do what you want to do.

You need to choose the platform first Freeview+ uses a conventional aerial. Typical ones Humax 9150/9300

Freesat+ uses a dish (a sky one is just fine) look here for choice

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she gets good freeview (terrestrial) reception then get her a freeview PVR (freeview+) box.

If not, get a dish installed and get a freesat PVR (freesat+)

Both these are recorders that record to an internal hard disk, just like a sky+ box, but they only receive and record the free channels but there's no payment, apart from the cost of buying the boxes in the first place.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview (terrestrial not satellite) is quite a bit cheaper, especially if you already have a tv ariel which gives acceptable Freeview reception!