Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• MorganaNKMorganaNK Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I've known Nik Kershaw for nearly thirty years (gulp!) and in all that time I can say he's never once been grumpy. He's really sweet, worries about his fans, and always spends time talking to them, posing for pictures, signing autographs and generally being a really great guy. My health flared badly a couple of years ago when I was supposed to go to a gig, a few days later I received a personalised signed VIP pass in the post... made my day.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That man is so underrated. One of the best songwriters this country's produced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MorganaNK wrote: »
    I've known Nik Kershaw for nearly thirty years (gulp!) and in all that time I can say he's never once been grumpy. He's really sweet, worries about his fans, and always spends time talking to them, posing for pictures, signing autographs and generally being a really great guy. My health flared badly a couple of years ago when I was supposed to go to a gig, a few days later I received a personalised signed VIP pass in the post... made my day.

Awww, that's so nice!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRM wrote: »

I find it shameful radio stations only play two of his songs - Wouldn't It Be Good & The Riddle - when Nik has a decent back catalogue they could choose from
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard James Bolam is extremely introverted and isn't someone you could approach easily. OTOH his introverted life and carefully chosen set of friends means he'll never be the victim of any scandal as he very rarely gave interviews and never made his private life public.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I find it shameful radio stations only play two of his songs - Wouldn't It Be Good & The Riddle - when Nik has a decent back catalogue they could choose from

Well he did inflict our Chesney's "I am the one & only on us";-):p

Seriously he is a lovely man and a wonderful song writer. I heard him say that song has put his kids through college, as it is quite extensively used in ad campaigns overseas.:)
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I've heard James Bolam is extremely introverted and isn't someone you could approach easily. OTOH his introverted life and carefully chosen set of friends means he'll never be the victim of any scandal as he very rarely gave interviews and never made his private life public.

Met him a few times and he was nothing but pleasant, I find it refreshing how he guards his private life, Michael Aspel is another gent, always has time for people, I only remember him losing his temper once and that was after the infamous Stallone,Willis & Schwaranegger interview.

He was absolutely livid at LWT allowing his show to be used as a promotional vehicle for 'Planet Hollywood'.

Barrymore was another top bloke, still has time for his fans.

Jo Joyner is an absurd cow and that's all im saying about her as I'd be permanently banned for my take on our first and only encounter.

Had a few encounters with Judy Finnigan and I'd swear she was pissed each time, the daughter is a morose monotone bore whose favourite fragrance appears to be Embassy No:1 with only Richard being the half nice one.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My most memorable one was meeting Freddie Mercury in Biba in London in the 70's. He was so different from what I expected. A very nice man.

And Bryan Ferry was lovely too.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,970
    Forum Member
    linmic wrote: »
    My most memorable one was meeting Freddie Mercury in Biba in London in the 70's. He was so different from what I expected. A very nice man.

And Bryan Ferry was lovely too.

Shame he has spawned such an odious runt in the shape of Otis Ferry.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Shame he has spawned such an odious runt in the shape of Otis Ferry.

I think that's happened with many children born of parents thrust into the showbiz spotlight, the kids get it all are spoilt etc, look no further that Made in Chelsea for other examples of spoilt brats growing up.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was out for dinner the other night with a friend I've not seen for years. She manages a restaurant in the US and was telling me about her famous customers (it's in a well thy neighbourhood).

Was gutted to hear her nightmare customer is Ben Stiller - apparently very arrogant, rude and demanding (her friend went to work as his assistant for a while but couldn't stick it, he was that bad). She said most others, including Richard Gere, Dave Grohl, Bill and Hillary Clinton, are very normal and very friendly.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Was out for dinner the other night with a friend I've not seen for years. She manages a restaurant in the US and was telling me about her famous customers (it's in a well thy neighbourhood).

Was gutted to hear her nightmare customer is Ben Stiller - apparently very arrogant, rude and demanding (her friend went to work as his assistant for a while but couldn't stick it, he was that bad). She said most others, including Richard Gere, Dave Grohl, Bill and Hillary Clinton, are very normal and very friendly.
    I was in a long queue going through passport control in a US airport and Dave Grohl was in it with what I assume was his wife, with a child in his arms. We were stuck in that queue for a while but DG was very friendly and chatty with everyone. No starry airs and graces for him.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRM wrote: »

So true !!!
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Saw Helen Lederer yesterday at a podcast recording in London. She was in the audience, not the panel, and was sitting there with a student or something. She was constantly fishing for compliments, and was moaning how people don't take her serious enough when surely, she knows what she's doing as she's been in the business for years now. The student was crawling so far up her **** it was painful to listen to.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »

Was gutted to hear her nightmare customer is Ben Stiller - apparently very arrogant, rude and demanding (her friend went to work as his assistant for a while but couldn't stick it, he was that bad). .

It seems that his portrayal in Extras was pretty accurate then. :D
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    I think that's happened with many children born of parents thrust into the showbiz spotlight, the kids get it all are spoilt etc, look no further that Made in Chelsea for other examples of spoilt brats growing up.

Otis gets the hunting thing from his mother's side of the family. Ferry was away touring a lot when the boys were little & unfortunately, the mother was a drunken coke head. And no, that's not libel, it's all well documented.

I must say, I'm surprised and pleased to hear that Ferry was nice. He's notoriously shy.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met him a few times and he was nothing but pleasant, I find it refreshing how he guards his private life,

Yes, I also know someone who worked extensively with Bolam and found him a very pleasant man. He just keeps himself to himself when he's not working and doesn't seek the limelight, and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Yes, I also know someone who worked extensively with Bolam and found him a very pleasant man. He just keeps himself to himself when he's not working and doesn't seek the limelight, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think it was the reports that he was stopping some channels from showing some old episodes of The Likely Lads, as he didn't want to be associated with that period of his career that didn't help his image, while his co star Rodney Bewes was apparently in dire straits desperate for the repeat royalties to avid poverty.
    Mr Bolam is an actor you know.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/the-likely-lads-fall-out-as-bolam-refuses-to-sanction-tv-repeats-1899057.html
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Rroses wrote: »
    I think it was the reports that he was stopping some channels from showing some old episodes of The Likely Lads, as he didn't want to be associated with that period of his career that didn't help his image, while his co star Rodney Bewes was apparently in dire straits desperate for the repeat royalties to avid poverty.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/the-likely-lads-fall-out-as-bolam-refuses-to-sanction-tv-repeats-1899057.html

Any actor or ex-actor who continues to live in Henley-on-Thames is hardly in 'dire' straits.

I personally thank Bolam for putting the bar on episodes of the Likeley Lads - I found it one of the unfunniest things of its era (even though my husband likes it - but then again - he likes Last of the Summer Wine too!!!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any actor or ex-actor who continues to live in Henley-on-Thames is hardly in 'dire' straits.

I personally thank Bolam for putting the bar on episodes of the Likeley Lads - I found it one of the unfunniest things of its era (even though my husband likes it - but then again - he likes Last of the Summer Wine too!!!!)

Indeed, I had no idea the 'skint' Bewes lives in Henley. Hardly a place you can 'slum it' very easily.

I wish someone would block OFAH and LOTSW as well - very unfunny and overplayed :)
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Indeed, I had no idea the 'skint' Bewes lives in Henley. Hardly a place you can 'slum it' very easily.

I wish someone would block OFAH and LOTSW as well - very unfunny and overplayed :)

I think he was/is a neighbour of the late George Harrison and his wife.

As to James Bolam, I remember seeing Amanda Redman talking about making New Tricks and how they were always getting told off for giggling, the interviewer asked who was the worst culprit was and she said James. I've thought since that this doesn't gel with his grumpy old git reputation. I choose to believe he is intensely private.;-)

As to repeats of The Likely Lads, we have them all on DVD so he obviously hasn't put the block on that.

Still, I've never met either of them so should probably keep me trap shut:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Gregg Wallace own Greggs?
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »

'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?' was repeated on BBC Two extensively around the late 1990s/early 2000s, and has been shown on BBC Four more recently. Gold show it quite often, as well as the original 'Likely Lads' less frequently (I think Drama has shown it was well), so this story isn't entirely accurate to say the least.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Bewes actively seeking Tv work, as the only major non Likely Lads work Ive seen him in was the Peter Davison Dalek Dr Who story?

Say what you like about Bolam, but he was still appearing on Tv after 50 odd years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

Say what you like about Bolam, but he was still appearing on Tv after 50 odd years!

He was good in The Beiderbecke Tapes :)