Do you recommend One Tree Hill?

PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,420
Forum Member
I want to get into a new tv show and I'm thinking of buying the complete One Tree Hill boxset but just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this series? I LOVE american shows like 90210, GG, Pretty Little Liars etc and i've heard good things from my friends but i've never caught any episodes.

Is it worth me buying the boxset? Is it a good show?

Comments

• modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it in an attempt to fill the hole left after The OC ended (<-- watch that if you haven't already), but I didn't make it until the end of the first season. I found it tedious and slow tbh.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loved it one of my fave tv shows ever
  • deb813deb813 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I liked first couple of series. OC better...
    Gossip girl-best!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    My girlfriend started watching it from Season 1 recently, I never really had time for it when it was on TV, right now though I'm on season 7 and completely hooked. The first few seasons can drag at times but it is worth sticking with, it's not my typical TV show but I am addicted.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I casually watched it when it first started showing over here, and did find it pretty slow. However, rediscovered it again when S3/4 were repeating daily and found it much better.

I think for me the main problem, particularly in the early years, was that there was no 'escapism factor' a la the OC. But I think over time it found it's feet.
    The five year jump between series 4 and 5 also does it the world of good imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Yeah season 1 was slow, but you need to see it to understand the latter seasons really (particularly the boys relationship with dan and Keith). I started late but got hooked, and miss it now! I loved gg (although I did miss this season), 90210 and OC so I'd imagine you'd like it.

If you like darker dramas you could try supernatural, it's very cw style but with monsters and a bit of edge,,,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    I casually watched it when it first started showing over here, and did find it pretty slow. However, rediscovered it again when S3/4 were repeating daily and found it much better.

I think for me the main problem, particularly in the early years, was that there was no 'escapism factor' a la the OC. But I think over time it found it's feet.
    The five year jump between series 4 and 5 also does it the world of good imo.

Agreed and the:
    school shooting ep
    was the episode that still springs to mind as the shows best
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Don't bother buying the box set. You can find the episodes available to watch online for free - no point spending money on a DVD of a show you might not even like.

For what it's worth I watched One Tree Hill in the first season but I got bored when the main cast started leaving. In my opinion it's one of those shows that dragged on way too long.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd certainly recommend it.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Would definitely recommend it along with:-

The Gilmore Girls
    and
    The OC

to name a couple more.
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes. it's amazing, especially the first 4 seasons.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    Lucia77 wrote: »
    Don't bother buying the box set. You can find the episodes available to watch online for free - no point spending money on a DVD of a show you might not even like.

For what it's worth I watched One Tree Hill in the first season but I got bored when the main cast started leaving. In my opinion it's one of those shows that dragged on way too long.

I hate watching things online, dunno why but i've always gotta buy the dvds instead! I think i'll give the first season a go and see if i like it.

I've only heard good things from all my friends.

Question though how many seasons are there in college for?
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the early seasons were great, it's a tad pretentious at times though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES, genuinely my favourite tv show ever, I was in bits when it ended! You'll love it :)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id definitly recommend one tree hill.Brilliant stories.Sometimes stories could drag a little
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES 1-6 are awesome :D also second what someone said ^ Gilmore Girls one the best shows ever!! :D
  • elmerfuddelmerfudd Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the OC & OTH simultaniously until the OC finished, both were fabulous shows. I was devestated when OTH finished as id spent so many years watching it and had invested alot in the characters & the show.

I would highly recommend both, but OTH is better imo :cool:
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,151
    Forum Member
    the first few series aren't great it's sorta after they leave high school it really gets good. Though you do need to have seen it from the beginning as a lot of stuff is referred back to in later eps,