Court rules UK ISP's must block The Pirate Bay

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    That is a problem that there is in deciding how much of a problem piracy is within the industry. It will fall somewhere in between those two – obviously someone that pirates something would not necessarily have bought it but then on the other hand they may have.

Where do you think it falls?

In some ways the opposite may be true.

I'm not going to spend £20 on a bluray of a film i haven't seen. i wont buy a game for £50 that i don't know i'll like or if it will play on my computer.

and this brings us to my main point really. the industry needs to move on. they need a new model rather than intransigently sticking to the old model and cherry picking the aspects of new technology they want whilst pretending the rest doesn't exist.

so with games. i can't spend £50 on a game that i might not like and don't know if it will play. i see they are trying to stop the second hand market now too.

so what i might do is download the game, play the single player campaign, and if i like it, buy it to play online. why not just let me do that any way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a problem that there is in deciding how much of a problem piracy is within the industry. It will fall somewhere in between those two – obviously someone that pirates something would not necessarily have bought it but then on the other hand they may have.

Where do you think it falls?

There's no possible way of knowing, it might be 1%, it might be 99%, it might depend on the material.

All I can say is that since the "three strikes" anti-P2P legislation was introduced in France, piracy levels have fallen, but music sales are still dropping.

That tells me that the number of people who would never have bought what they downloaded might be rather high.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    In some ways the opposite may be true.

I'm not going to spend £20 on a bluray of a film i haven't seen. i wont buy a game for £50 that i don't know i'll like or if it will play on my computer.

So do you download it watch it/play it – if you like it buy it?
    Forum Member

yes

i have a reasonable bluray collection. but i only buy films i like. i know a lot of people that do the same.
    Forum Member
    Jittlov wrote: »
    There's no possible way of knowing, it might be 1%, it might be 99%, it might depend on the material.

All I can say is that since the "three strikes" anti-P2P legislation was introduced in France, piracy levels have fallen, but music sales are still dropping.

That tells me that the number of people who would never have bought what they downloaded might be rather high.

That’s an interesting piece of information
    Forum Member
    yes

i have a reasonable bluray collection. but i only buy films i like. i know a lot of people that do the same.

Seems a good way to work it
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here. I will definitely buy a legitimate copy of a film etc if I like the downloaded one enough. You'd get better picture quality and sound in doing so.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Same here. I will definitely buy a legitimate copy of a film etc if I like the downloaded one enough. You'd get better picture quality and sound in doing so.

Depends what you download - there is no reason you could not download the full HQ version of something
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what you download - there is no reason you could not download the full HQ version of something

Digital downloads don't appeal to me (either legit or not), I like buying physical media. I normally transfer them to my PC anyway, but it is handy to have a physical copy in case of a hardware failure (I speak from experience :()
    Forum Member
    Digital downloads don't appeal to me (either legit or not), I like buying physical media. I normally transfer them to my PC anyway, but it is handy to have a physical copy in case of a hardware failure (I speak from experience :()

[highlight]Pirate!!!!!![/highlight]

:eek: you break the encryption on your purchased dvds or blurays to illegally copy them to your computer. terrorist.
    Forum Member
    [highlight]Pirate!!!!!![/highlight]

:eek: you break the encryption on your purchased dvds or blurays to illegally copy them to your computer. terrorist.

Calm down :D You are legally allowed to keep a backup
    Forum Member
    Calm down :D You are legally allowed to keep a backup

it's debatable. i forget the nuances of it. but circumventing the copy protection is certainly illegal in a lot of countries.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan - currently most downloads come from grey sites - I'm sure that if the stream price was dropped a bit, they'd become even more appealing. What would REALLY help, though, is if the film industry quits with the locking-content-to-specific-retailer-or-kit aspect.

THIS is what i mean by opening content up wide. So I could, from a Linux machine, stream any film through a single account (say Netflix). The pirates (in the case of Megaupload) are pointing the way forward.... everything available everywhere, at a fair price.

People are willing to pay; don't make it so inconvenient that there's someone like TPB there offering the same content in an easier-to-use form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's debatable. i forget the nuances of it. but circumventing the copy protection is certainly illegal in a lot of countries.
    And yet - this only affects the ability to CONSUME the content. Bang the disc in a duplicator - you have an image in about 30 seconds. Bang 7 blanks in - you have stock for a car-boot sale.
    Still can't bloody PLAY the things on open-source kit.

Means Linux users can't easily mount and play Blu-ray discs...

Why shouldn't the legit purchaser be allowed to format-shift for their requirements?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Circumventing copy protection is technically illegal, but some years ago the industry in the UK promised not to prosecute those who did it for personal use.
    "We believe that we now need to make a clear and public distinction between copying for your own use and copying for dissemination to third parties," said Mr Jamieson, whose organisation represents the UK's record labels.

He told the Commons select committee for culture, media and sport that he wanted to "make it unequivocally clear to the consumer that if they copy their CDs for their own private use in order to move the music from format to format, we will not pursue them".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5053658.stm
    Forum Member
    Circumventing copy protection is technically illegal, but some years ago the industry in the UK promised not to prosecute those who did it for personal use.

all well and good. but it doesn't stop them using the copy protection though does it. circumventing the copy protection is another separate offence. cds don't have it.

****ers.

in so many cases the bent version of films or whatever is easier to consume. no trailers, no prohibited user operations and unskipable warnings about the views expressed and so on. if i download a bent film, (in full 1080p) i can convert it to play on my phone, pad make a dvd version to play in my car or whatever. if i buy it i can play it on my bluray player. that is all.

it was always the same with pc games. buy it and you had to put your fragile disk in every time you played it. a disk you were not allowed or able to copy. download the pirated version no such requirement.

then it got smarter you had to be on line to play a game, unless you have the pirate version.

authors of their own downfall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all well and good. but it doesn't stop them using the copy protection though does it. circumventing the copy protection is another separate offence. cds don't have it.

Some do. It's not very good, and is easily bypassed, but it's there all the same.

They don't use it often because of compatibility issues with many CD players.
    Forum Member
    Some do. It's not very good, and is easily bypassed, but it's there all the same.

They don't use it often because of compatibility issues with many CD players.

i don't think there has been any for a long time? since the sony rootkit debacle.

they are also not allowed to use the cd logo.

but like i say. they may not prosecute under copyright for ripping a cd. but circumventing the encryption on a dvd or bluray is more likely computer misuse act. like chipping your own xbox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think there has been any for a long time? since the sony rootkit debacle.

they are also not allowed to use the cd logo.

but like i say. they may not prosecute under copyright for ripping a cd. but circumventing the encryption on a dvd or bluray is more likely computer misuse act. like chipping your own xbox.
    And yet drop the disc into a £300 duplicator with 7 blanks... run off stock to flog on.

Or a quick sudo dd if=/dev/input_drive of=/dev/output_drive...

Stupid, isn't it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TPB is "gone" on Orange now. Took all of 5 seconds to find a mirror ..
    Forum Member
    TPB is "gone" on Orange now. Took all of 5 seconds to find a mirror ..

still on o2
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still on o2

I imagine it won't be long before they block it as well - they'll have to.
    Forum Member
    I imagine it won't be long before they block it as well - they'll have to.

the court order is by friday apparently.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was copying from CD to CD back in 2004. I don't care what they say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

There's conflicting evidence. Some reports show that piracy in France still increased, despite the three strikes laws.:
    http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-rises-in-france-despite-three-strikes-law-100609/
    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Piracy-Increases-In-France-Despite-Three-Strikes-Law-107320

It's certainly seems to be true though that music sales haven't increased, but then again, France are in the midst of the same downturn that we are which is probably more of a reason for any decrease in sales.

Piracy also increased in other countries where the Pirate Bay and other sites were banned.