Android Jelly Bean - Samsung Ace 2

Comments

• CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markjonson wrote: »
    Ok so found the first issue, anyone know how to take a screenshot on the phone since the update to Jellybean? Pushing the home button and the power button used to work perfectly but that don't work any longer, tried all sorts of suggestions and combinations using all the buttons but still no screenshot.

Why oh why can't this just be a standard feature on all androids using the same buttons, really does my head in this does. Why does android have such a problem with screenshots?

A search on Google just brings up users asking the same question. :mad:

Edit: Just found it, it is still the same combination of the home button and the power button, the difference is you now have to push them both at EXACTLY the same time and hold for about 2 seconds then it will take the screenshot.

"Power + Home" is the standard way of taking a screenshot in Android 4.0+
  • markjonsonmarkjonson Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Hmmm now I have found what appears to be a genuine bug, connecting to a PC that don't have Kies installed, on 2.3 Gingerbread this worked perfectly using the USB Utilities option, on Jellybean this appears to work fine at first but as soon as I try to transfer a file it's just coming up with I/O errors, no matter what I try and do with it.
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've downgraded as well, experienced the lagging that others have.
  • markjonsonmarkjonson Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    markjonson wrote: »
    Hmmm now I have found what appears to be a genuine bug, connecting to a PC that don't have Kies installed, on 2.3 Gingerbread this worked perfectly using the USB Utilities option, on Jellybean this appears to work fine at first but as soon as I try to transfer a file it's just coming up with I/O errors, no matter what I try and do with it.

Hmmm now starting to consider downgrading because of this problem, tried this now on 3 different computers and it's doing the same on all of them, using usb utilities the phone will connect to the computers perfectly, it will let me transfer a few files without any problems, then it will suddenly stop and and come up with an error message about unable to read harddisk ect, this is happening time after time.

If I connect my phone to the laptop that has Kies installed it will connect via Kies without any problems at all and continue to transfer files for as long as connected.

Shame really because I do like Jellybean but being able to connect to a pc is important to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    So I take it i should avoid upgrading to Jellybean if & when I get the prompt to do so? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I take it i should avoid upgrading to Jellybean if & when I get the prompt to do so? :confused:

You might as well give it a try.

Its easy enough to roll back if you do have problems with it.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone who is suffering from lags tried a reset?

It would clear out old files which could be causing the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Has anyone who is suffering from lags tried a reset?

It would clear out old files which could be causing the problem.

I did a full reset and wiped all existing data before upgrading. After the first boot, I went into recovery mode and did a clear cache and wipe data / factory reset.

Didn't particularly help. Tried Jelly Bean once more this week and still wasn't ideal. Seemed at it's worst when playing videos from Facebook or on games. Seems as though it would lag and freeze on anything too intensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it incredibly slowwhen scrolling through things, like tb and artist lists on the music player.
    Forum Member

So when is it being rolled out to the o2 network then? :confused:
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody knows. That's up to O2 unfortunately...
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Nobody knows. That's up to O2 unfortunately...

Thats why i always buy mine unlocked from the carphone warehouse.
    Plus its cheaper than O2 shop, did ask them to price match, but they couldnt.
    And a 2yr warranty.

So im on O2 with galaxy ace 2 now on official JB :D

Ps.. still no issues on the 2 phones we have :)

i think you could ask O2 to unlock youre phone?
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Thats why i always buy mine unlocked from the carphone warehouse.
    Plus its cheaper than O2 shop, did ask them to price match, but they couldnt.
    And a 2yr warranty.

So im on O2 with galaxy ace 2 now on official JB :D

Ps.. still no issues on the 2 phones we have :)

i think you could ask O2 to unlock youre phone?

I did buy mine from Carphone Warehouse so it's unlocked to any network, so should mine have upgraded to JB then?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did buy mine from Carphone Warehouse so it's unlocked to any network, so should mine have upgraded to JB then?

In that case you will need to plug it into a computer and use Samsung kies program to update it.

It may not do it 'over the air' as 02 may be stopping it.
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    In that case you will need to plug it into a computer and use Samsung kies program to update it.

It may not do it 'over the air' as 02 may be stopping it.

Did that over the weekend, there was a firmware update but it's still on Gingerbread :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gave it a cpl of weeks and decided to try again with the JB BTU version, absolutely horrendous lagging, music player stuttering, apps taking 2/3 minutes to close, Back on GB, there won't be a third time.
  • ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I got it and I quite like it :)

However I only use my phone for e-mailing and texting :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I really don't know what Samsung are playing at!

if the phone is not powerful enough to run JB, then why bother? do they not test things before they release them?
  • cmorriscmorris Posts: 6,157
    Forum Member
    It is a bit slow to load things
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Sticking with Gingerbread here, too - mate has identical Galaxy to my own, Jellybean just screwed it up royally. Half his apps stopped working, or took an age to start up or close, etc. Media player kept hanging on him.

Problem is I'd quite like Jellybean as the BBC I-Player app needs JB or above. Even BBC radio (via the net) won't play on Gingerbread..still, rather have a stable phone and a wish-list than a brick.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sticking with Gingerbread here, too - mate has identical Galaxy to my own, Jellybean just screwed it up royally. Half his apps stopped working, or took an age to start up or close, etc. Media player kept hanging on him.

Problem is I'd quite like Jellybean as the BBC I-Player app needs JB or above. Even BBC radio (via the net) won't play on Gingerbread..still, rather have a stable phone and a wish-list than a brick.

That's the way I see it too. I'm sticking with Gingerbread as the phone works and it does what I want it to do with no problems. It might be an older version of Android but it's still a far cry from the crappy old basic phone I had before.
    Forum Member

How do you roll it back to Gingerbread? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah

I'm sad to report that ive had to downgrade
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    The lag issues I suspect is due to insufficient memory to run JB and the host of apps. Try clearing the backstack of apps in memory by holding down the Home key and swiping away the apss you're not currently using. It should free up some memory and reduce the lag.