Mac Air - Mobile Internet

LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone confirm whether it is possible to have mobile internet access on a Mac Air in the UK and if so who provides it. Can't see any reference to it on the UK Apple site.

We have vodafone mobile internet on all our Dell Vista laptops, but one of the Directors has convinced himself that he needs a Mac Air instead now.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    vodafone mobile supports OSX.

i don't know anything about macs, but if you're talking about a dongle thing then i can see no reason why it wouldn't work.
  • thorvertonianthorvertonian Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as it's USB and not PCMCIA or smart card, as the air hasn't got that port!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just persuade him to use the newer lighter Toshiba Portégé R600-10Q.

With a DVD writer, HD graphics,a TFT screen that works in bright sunshine and the ports he needs too.

I would assume the 8 /1/2 hour battery life is when 'sitting in a sunny garden'.
  • VallhundVallhund Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Just persuade him to use the lighter Toshiba Portégé R600-10Q.

With a DVD writer, HD graphics,a TFT screen that works in bright sunshine and the ports he needs too.

I would assume the 8 /1/2 hour battery life is when 'sitting in a sunny garden'.

Yes but then he would have to use Windows and life would not be worth living. And Toshiba's have all the cool factor of Grandpa's Morris Marina (in mustard yellow). :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would certainly be much cooler than the Mac when he specifically chooses a sun terrace to discuss business.

I always recall that when the Mac Air was released its only real headline was 'look how thin it is'.
    I still consider it a low tech bodge job.
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No possiblity of persuading him otherwise. he has his heart set on the Max Air, which has now been ordered. Appreciate the replies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3's modems seem to work with the Mac.

Would assume most will.

Well that's the USB slot used up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    Lojen wrote: »
    he has his heart set on the Max Air

they're nike shoes, aren't they?
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would assume most will.

Was in Comet the other day overhearing a sales droid helpfully inform a customer that Macs aren't compatible with 3G modems. He was an "expert", so he must know... surely? :rolleyes:

Yes, that's an issue. This is just one of those silly little jokes that Apple comes up with from time to time. Like combo drives in Macs costing 700 quid, and 2 megapixel cameras in 'smartphones' costing 400 quid. Proves they have a sense of humour in Cupertino. :D
  • jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would assume most will.

And with that comment you once again miss the point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was certainly a pointless comment.
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    the air is good, esp the new one.
    and yes usb would work fine.
    as for a single port...small hub/splitters are useful.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-World-039-s-Smallest-USB-Hub-31275.shtml
    http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20071105/smallest-usb-20-4-port-hub-in-the-world/
  • jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was certainly a pointless comment.

1 out of 2000, compared to 6000 out of 6000.

You don't understand the Air and your comments prove it.

Continually comparing it to a £300 netbook and then harping on about the amount of USB ports.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still consider it a low tech bodge job.

Yet it is praised in reviews for how solidly it is put together. It doesn't have an optical drive, has a slower processor and has a limited amount of ports, although aren't most netbooks limited in these areas.

It is still rather expensive. If I could afford it, then I would seriously consider it as it has the full-sized keyboard and 13.3 inch screen. Anything smaller would just be unusable for me, although as thin and lightweight as the Air is I still find myself swaying towards the MacBook, which isn't that much bigger and the extra power would come in useful if you can not afford a desktop machine as well as and/or you spend long periods of time on the go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'bodge job' is correct as far as I am concerned.

Chairman Mao had decided on the marketing ploy of 'worlds thinnest laptop'.

Thus the total lack of expansion ports, network port, firewire and USB's. Not to mention its non removable battery.
    So instead of the usual Macbooks form and function became simply 'form over function'.
    Forum Member
    or perhaps its a fine piece of equipment for a segment of customers who can afford to have it as a supplemental computer which is very light handy, well made and without the sacrifices of netbooks. it is clearly not meant to be your only computer. the lightness and feel does make a difference when using in real world settings. its just a nice experience. its a luxury, and bashing it for the wrong reasons is just really missing the point. if you can't afford it, its not for you:P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    or perhaps its a fine piece of equipment for a segment of customers who can afford to have it as a supplemental computer which is very light handy, well made and without the sacrifices of netbooks. it is clearly not meant to be your only computer. the lightness and feel does make a difference when using in real world settings. its just a nice experience. its a luxury, and bashing it for the wrong reasons is just really missing the point. if you can't afford it, its not for you:P

Exactly, it's made quite clear that the Air has limitations, but it's offered for those who are willing to put up with those limitations in exchange for the benefits offered by it's size. Apple sell other models for the very reason that the Air isn't supposed to be for everyone.

I used to have a powerbook and loved it, but when I upgraded I decided that ultimately I didn't make enough use of the advantage of a laptop so bought an iMac because you get more bang for your buck with a desktop. If I was to buy a second machine the air would be a definite possibility since as a machine I'm not using all the time I wouldn't be bothered by the supposed lack of features. It is a luxury model pure and simple and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    a supplemental computer without the sacrifices of netbooks. it is clearly not meant to be your only computer.

Spot the contradiction.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I've just found an application that can turn my phone into a wifi hot spot. How cool is that????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the free version of Joikuspot?
    Forum Member
    Spot the contradiction.

clearly you've never used a mac book air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly not as a 'user'.

It has too many sacrifices. Including the wallet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an O2 wireless USB key for my Macbook Air and it works just fine, both the pay as you go and contract keys work perfectly (although the software and connection type is different for both of them)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I've just found an application that can turn my phone into a wifi hot spot. How cool is that????

oooh fancy!