The seriousness of EE

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just been watching EE on catch-up and it reminded me of something that I've argued for a long time. I don't want EE to be a pantomime. I like the humour that they put in it. I've cracked up in laughter at times and I feelthat the tone of it is perfect. The drama and grittiness are what I tune in for, yet you do need some humour to punctuate it, as I feel does happen. For me, that's enough cos this is a soap and not a comedy drama. I cringe a little when people moan about either the lack of humour, or the misguided/so-called badly-written comedy. I think it has just enough, and I wouldn't want it to deliver any different kinds of comedy. Believe me, I have plenty of criticisms of this soap, but this is a thread specific to discussion of the humour and drama and whether it gets it right. As evidenced above, I believe it does. I'm interested to know what others feel. (PS Steve McFadden was brilliant tonight.)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the level of humour is pretty much spot on.
  • BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well here was me thinking I was going to find another thread slating EE, thank you for your postive post... oh yeah I agree btw it's great at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote: »
    I think the level of humour is pretty much spot on.
    Yay! Lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well here was me thinking I was going to find another thread slating EE, thank you for your postive post... oh yeah I agree btw it's great at the moment.
    I'm a big fan of American drama and I'm a big fan of EE. It's easy to criticise things that are a big deal but do we stop to notice what's brilliant about them? EE is, and has been for a long time, the programme on British TV with the highest viewing figures. There's a good reason for that. More often than not, it gets it right. For me, altering the amount and type of comedy in it would be wrong, despite protests that EE can't get it right. I simply don't agree and would like to know how many others share my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Mixed bag imo.

Phil Drunk is unintentionally funny.
    Max & Darren's scenes have been brilliant.

As opposed to.

Fatboy's character feels like forced humour.
    Janine's pantomime character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get what you mean - I'm not a fan of Fatboy. Janine - strange mixture. I tend to hate pantomime (didn't like the Lucas stuff - too silly to be menacing, unfortunately), yet somehow I like her. I can't reconcile that logically or intelligently. It's just how it is in my mind.
  • kreed82kreed82 Posts: 3,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    It's a Mixed bag imo.

Phil Drunk is unintentionally funny.
    Max & Darren's scenes have been brilliant..
    exactly this is the brand of comedy EE excell in, that stuff with pat trying to pull down the 'to let' sign WITH A ROPE,harvey the 2timer or peggy/pat/lousie trashing the pub were just cringe worthy and not true to the tone of the show..
    Why does the comedy these days have to be so blatant and cartoonish why cant it just be in the form of phil falling off the wagon (which ios serious but) tripping and landing face first into a cake too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kreed82 wrote: »
    exactly this is the brand of comedy EE excell in, that stuff with pat trying to pull down the 'to let' sign WITH A ROPE,harvey the 2timer or peggy/pat/lousie trashing the pub were just cringe worthy and not true to the tone of the show..
    Why does the comedy these days have to be so blatant and cartoonish why cant it just be in the form of phil falling off the wagon (which ios serious but) tripping and landing face first into a cake too

Heather asthma attack.
    Billy being haunted by Frank Butcher's spirit.
    Any Scene with Billy tbh.
    The list of poor comedy could go on.

I'm just grateful they haven't got Ricky Gervais writing the comedy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blasphomy! Major RG fan here. I think I know what you both mean. Not sure though. I think Dot humour tends to be v good. Shirley can be v funny too. I wonder if a lot of it depends on the actors rather than the writing.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the comedy involving Max, Darren and Jodie really cringeworthy. Hope it improves soon.

EE really does the drama brilliantly though, as demonstrated in last night's episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    Blasphomy! Major RG fan here. I think I know what you both mean. Not sure though. I think Dot humour tends to be v good. Shirley can be v funny too. I wonder if a lot of it depends on the actors rather than the writing.

Agreed like when Max is giving a humorous line it comes so natural and he is so straight faced when he delivers it.
    As opposed to Janine who seems to have 50 Billion Facial expressions.
    I find the comedy involving Max, Darren and Jodie really cringeworthy. Hope it improves soon.

EE really does the drama brilliantly though, as demonstrated in last night's episode.

Jodie is a bit cringeworthy but Max & Darren are brilliant together.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    The phil and ranie scene with the music was great but i'm not sure its really EE, more of a HO thing .