Did Dermot really liken Simon's choice to the holocaust?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jujubee wrote: »
    Really? Five pages over this?

17 by tomorrow morning. Good odds on that at the bookies too. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Lets not forget Dermot like Konnie has an ear piece in at all times and is told what to say, we dont know Dermot even knew what he was saying.

I am going to be honset and tell you I didnt even know what Sophie's choice was I had to go and google it to find out what all the fuss was about. I thought he was talking about Sophie from the girl band.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddie1983 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie%27s_Choice_%28film%29#In_popular_culture

Nicking the link from someone else above, but the more its seen, the more people can click it and shushhhh. Its sunday night, have a shower and go to bed. Don't spend the night worrying that Diva Fever's number is up in more way than one.
    That's outraaaaageous. You are implying someone is less than clean. Personally, I wouldn't dream of having a shower. It's just not on.
  • Dorkus_Dorkus_ Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a common turn of phrase. Some people, seriously..
  • minnie1957minnie1957 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Let me get this right....................this thread was started because somebody really and truly thought that Dermot was comparing the x factor to the haulocost:confused::confused
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minnie1957 wrote: »
    Let me get this right....................this thread was started because somebody really and truly thought that Dermot was comparing the x factor to the haulocost:confused::confused

What was funnier was that someone stating they were an expert in holocaust studies then pulled on their jackboots and turned the thread into their own little dictatorship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minnie1957 won a prize!! :D
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    What was funnier was that someone stating they were an expert in holocaust studies then pulled on their jackboots and turned the thread into their own little dictatorship.

Love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I imagine it's just a phrase, that is an odd/awkward way to use it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know in what situations you think it would be appropriate.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it was appropriate situation given that it is commonly used in pop culture for much more frivolous situations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol this kinda stuff is too sad, especially "Report him to OFCOM!" especially if thats serious!
    Shows have been referencing "Sophie's choice" forever! Its a really easy joke to make but as long as you know what SC is then its funny. Deal with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it bears saying again that 'Sophie's Choice' is not a genuine Holocaust event -- its an over the top, melodramatic twist in an over the top, melodramatic work of fiction. People referencing it aren't referring to the Holocaust at all, but to the air of over-the-top, overwrought melodrama that permeates the book.

And let's not forget that the whole point of the book is a guy living in modern America learning about the Holocaust and deciding that there are parallels between having to choose which of your two children will be gassed and the BS he puts up with in his own day-to-day life.

It's a ridiculous book and one I'm perfectly happy to see people refer to in the context of ridiculous, melodramatic choices.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just stupid remark which I think Dermot was told to say through his earpiece
    The film Sophie's choice for me must be one of the worse films ever that I have seen
  • iloathedanniiiloathedannii Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Maybe something awful does happen to some of the acts. Most of them you never hear from again. :eek:

As we all know, at least one is soon to be facing a firing squad.

I hope someone starts a Facebook campaign about this straightaway. Ringing OFCOM is not the solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tamaru wrote: »
    OH, GET OVER IT.

It's a figure of speech.

Jesus.

Exactly. Holy shit people just find absolutely anything to find offensive don't they. Says a lot about our country and political correctness.
  • SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God, I just burst into tears when I read this thread and found out that X Factor contestants are to be gassed by the Nazis.

With this, and Gabbo due to be shot by Robert Mugabe's personal firing squad, I don't think I can take anymore.

It's just awful.
  • HaruhiHaruhi Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    He wasn't likening anything to the Holocaust

He was referencing a FICTIONAL event, the decision made by the character "Sophie" in the novel and film "Sophie's Choice"
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SeanHunter wrote: »
    Oh my God, I just burst into tears when I read this thread and found out that X Factor contestants are to be gassed by the Nazis.

With this, and Gabbo due to be shot by Robert Mugabe's personal firing squad, I don't think I can take anymore.

It's just awful.

I too am in shock - this morning I have discovered there is reason to believe that some of the contestants may be GAY!! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I too am in shock - this morning I have discovered there is reason to believe that some of the contestants may be GAY!! :eek:

How did you get access to last night's 306 deleted threads? :confused: This is bloody favouritism, that's what this is! :mad:
  • HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    This phrase is used a lot nowadays to indicate an almost impossible choice.

Just google it and see how many articles use the phrase.

It has no reference to the actual holocaust but references a fictional choice that was written about in a book set in that time for whatever reason.

As someone else said it could have easily been set in another scenario like the invasion of Britain by the Romans, modern day Afghanistan or Stalin's Russia.

This shows what the internet does now. It allows people to whip up a frenzy on a forum which then gets reported by the lazy media as 'fans fury' and thus snowballs into something else altogether.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    It was just stupid remark which I think Dermot was told to say through his earpiece
    The film Sophie's choice for me must be one of the worse films ever that I have seen

Give Dermot a bit of credit ( or maybe debit in this case ) that the vast bulk of what he says comes from his own head.

The SC thing is being taken way out of proportion by some. I don't think it was the best thing to say, but report to OFFCOM, give us a break !
  • SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has really upset me. I've Googled the Holocaust and apparently hundreds of people were killed and stuff, and the thought of Dermot pushing someone's kids into a gas chamber is just horrifying and I'm glad the OP brought this important subject up.

I think, God, what if it were my three year old neice who was being sacrificed so that Diva Fever could survive? It's heartbreaking.

Or what if I had to choose between John and Edward? I love John and his snaggled teeth, but he'd be so alone without Edward.

I've been crying all day about this. Does anyone know the phone number of OFCOM? Or maybe even David Cameron's direct line?
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    How did you get access to last night's 306 deleted threads? :confused: This is bloody favouritism, that's what this is! :mad:

Easy - I just told them I was a friend of Cher's.