Severance

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
I saw the trailer for Severance over the weekend and I thought it looked quite good. I hadnt even heard of it before I saw the trailers. Here is the plot summery from the BBC website:

"Brit helmer Christopher Smith (Creep) returns with a comedy horror about a sales team for a weapons company fighting a vengeful enemy - and each other - on a wild team building weekend."

I think I will be going to see it when it is released on Friday!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer does look interesting. Could be this years Dog Soldiers.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Most of the quotes on the trailer seem to be comparing it more towards Shaun Of The Dead but that is to be expected from any horror-comedy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    James Moran the writer, wrote a brilliant script. His blog is good to:

http://www.jamesmoran.blogspot.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Based entirely on nothing at all except a hunch, I'd say it looks like a case of "Good trailer, bad film".
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I never judge a film on trailer and I never will as I plan to go and see this when it is released!
    The reviews I have read so far for it have been good. Here is a review from the BBC website:

"Pitched as "The Office meets Deliverance", Severance is a slick mix of satire and splatter from Christopher Smith, the writer/director of Creep. Where that film kept the fear underground, here the perils are in the open air, as a group of British office workers become lambs to the slaughter while on a team-building weekend in the Hungarian wilds. Yes, it does sound a bit like fellow Brit horror Wilderness; but this time, the giggles that go with the gore are intentional.

One of the best gags comes early on, when ineffectual manager Richard (Tim McInnerny) coins a classic David Brentism: "I can't spell success without you," he tells a team that includes wideboy Steve (Danny Dyer), cynic Harris (Toby Stephens), geek Gordon (Andy Nyman) and sexy supervisor Maggie (Laura Harris). The characters are familiar, but transcend stereotype enough for you to miss the ones who become worm-food when the mysterious cull begins.

As he proved on Creep, Smith has a more-than-working knowledge of horror conventions, which he puts to good use here with several neat reversals of expectation: check out the nicely timed night-time encounter between mousy Jill (Claudie Blakley) and a creepy crawly.

"KEEN EYE FOR THROWAWAY DETAIL"

He also has a keen eye for throwaway detail, like a silent-movie pastiche or a corporate video starring a bushel of blondes. Alas, these idiosyncrasies start to recede as Smith breaks out the heavy artillery for a shoot 'em up (or, in the case of one outrageous gag, shoot-'em-down) finale. Still, mixing comedy with horror's never an easy business, but time and again Severance cuts it."

It got 4 out of 5
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been reading some great reviews of this film. Danny Dyer is said to be very funny in this. Might give it a look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This movie is awesome. I was crying with laughter at the pie scene! Danny Dyer is superb in it, would give it 4.5/5, go see it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Ive seen this film. Didnt know anything about it before hand but thought it was really good.

Some parts were hilarious! (well they were to me) I actually cryed with laughter at two points.

I Would recommend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I went to see it last night. I was surprised that it was more a horror than a comedy, I barely grinned throughout the movie. But I did enjoy it, some real grusome scenes though - not for the faint hearted.

i'd rate it 7 out of 10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw it today, i walked out it was too gruesome lol. What happens in the end? can someone pm me lol
  • Mr MaterialMr Material Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Decent movie, not too keen on the comedy aspect of it but was good all the same.
  • JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was excellent. After the first 20 minutes my husband and I were ready to walk out. We'd seen no trailers or reviews and didn't realise it was supposed to be funny! We just thought it was a case of bad acting and bad script. After we'd cottoned on to the fact that it was a black comedy as well as a horror, we started to enjoy it.

The pie scene was very funny. And I completely lost it when Danny Dyer tried to shove the leg in the fridge!

Danny Dyer is a class actor. I've seen him in Is Harry On The Boat?, Human Traffic, The Business and Football Factory. He used to look very young for his age but lately he's started to look a bit weather-worn. I can't help thinking he partakes in drink and drugs as much in real life as he does on film. Still love him though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Watched this film on the wkend.. I really enjoyed it.

Its not much like Shaun of the dead.. as that film was more comedy then horror.. I think this film is more horror then comedy.

I convinced my girlfriend to watch it on the premise it was a comedy horror and she had to cover her eyes for most of the film. :o

Some genuine scary moments and a bit gruesome in places.. the comedy is a nice diversion and helps ease the tension.

I'm looking forward to watching this film again.. when I dont have to spend the whole film convincing my girl not to walk out cos she was too scared. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Wasn't keen on it- liked the song used in the trailer though:
    Oh Yeah by The Subways went to see them a couple of months back...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    8 out of 10...

I reckon Dyer's under-rated, he needs more comedic roles.
  • LaggyLaggy Posts: 3,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this the other day. Was much, much more scarier and gory than me and my friend anticipated after watching the trailer. Didn't find there were that many laugh out loud moments (because most of the funny bits are actaully in the trailer) apart from when Gordan was bouncing on the diving board which was a bit amusing.

I was suprised that it only got a 15 rating to be honest with the amount of blood and gore/swearing etc., but all in all I found it to be a pretty good film, but not the one I was expecting.

3.5/5
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen it and thought it was fantastic.
    Danny Dyer made me giggle throughout the film. He is brilliant.

I'd give it a 9/10 and I'm def. going to watch it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    sbgraa wrote:
    Based entirely on nothing at all except a hunch, I'd say it looks like a case of "Good trailer, bad film".

It was exactly that, wasn't funny at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this when it was at the cinema - thought it was great.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched this the other week & I actually thought it was funny which suprised me as it was the OH's choice but there were some good one liners in it - not a belly laugh type of film but funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    severence is a great film, watched it last week (rented) so good that i've just bought it

Hi, my first post! so go easy on me :)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this the other night and thought it was a fantastic film although some of the deaths were too gruesome for me, cushions are very useful, some truly laughable moments too, definitely one to watch again..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this film
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    it felt a bit like a film students project to me. Not a bad film per sa, just a bit unaccomplished.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) It was pretty good.Best bit was when the boss fired the missile at the baddies and it went straight up and took out the aircraft.:D