Going to see Wicked.. looking for nearby restaurants

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
Forum Member
Does anyone know of any decent restaurants near to the Apollo theatre in London? I'm going to see Wicked tomorrow evening and don't want to just end up in a McDonalds. I also don't want to stray too far from the theatre (that's where the coach is dropping us off)

Comments

• x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chez Gerard is just up by the bus station from it, if you've not booked your tickets yet (I'm guessing you have though...) they do theatre & meal packages for Chez Gerard. There's Wetherspoons and a food hall in the train station too which is literally over the road.

Enjoy it! I saw it last Saturday for the 4th time, I love it :D

ETA: if you're getting a coach to Victoria Coach station, it doesn't actually stop near the theatre, it's about a five minute walk down Colonade Walk and cut through the train station. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Chez Gerard is just up by the bus station from it, if you've not booked your tickets yet (I'm guessing you have though...) they do theatre & meal packages for Chez Gerard. There's Wetherspoons and a food hall in the train station too which is literally over the road.

Enjoy it! I saw it last Saturday for the 4th time, I love it :D

Yes.. tickets all booked. Wetherspoons could be a good choice. I think we'll probably head over to the train station.

I'm not sure where the coach will drop us... do you think it will be the coach station? It's an organised coach trip
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cardinal Place is literally around the corner from the Apollo, (top end of Victoria Street) and it has:

HA HA Bar and Grill
    Nandos
    La Tosca
    And Zizzi (I think - dont pay too much attention when I walk past!)

Not sure on price, but if unsure Nandos is always a safe bet and it is a new build so quite a nice atmosphere, etc.

Enjoy! :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. good to have some more options
  • EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah pretty much what everyone has suggested :)

Side note, you picked a great day to go! Day before the current leading lady leaves, so she'll be on fire I'm sure :D
    Forum Member
    I can't wait!
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just stay in the restaurant all night, it'll be more entertaining :D
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.. tickets all booked. Wetherspoons could be a good choice. I think we'll probably head over to the train station.

I'm not sure where the coach will drop us... do you think it will be the coach station? It's an organised coach trip

Didn't you ask for a decent restaurant? If so, then Wetherspoons is neither decent or a restaurant.
    Forum Member
    We've decided to go to Zizzi
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you have a great night, I'll be following in your footsteps as I'm going on Saturday night! good to hear thoughts on where to eat too, thanks folks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres a lovley pizza express nearby

dont ask for pepper, because they shift about a tonne of it on, if you say yes to the waiter:p
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theres a lovley pizza express nearby

dont ask for pepper, because they shift about a tonne of it on, if you say yes to the waiter:p

Aren't all Pizza Express the same? I like it but i've had exactly the same pizza in every one i've been in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you have seen wicked - PLEASE put a posting up to tell me what it's like .Ive heard its fantastic and want to go myself
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suec wrote: »
    When you have seen wicked - PLEASE put a posting up to tell me what it's like .Ive heard its fantastic and want to go myself

It is wonderful ... no posts on here could translate what it's like, just GO!

Assuming OP is there tonight - have a fantastic night!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    i went and i loved it and went to la tasca, yummy - fab evening
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suec wrote: »

suec go go go go go go lol. It is fantastic, magical and special. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it but don't feel the need to see it again (unlike the woman behind who was there for her 20th time!) Can't quite get my head around the story
    and the witch running off with the scarecrow!
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it but don't feel the need to see it again (unlike the woman behind who was there for her 20th time!) Can't quite get my head around the story
    and the witch running off with the scarecrow!

Glad you enjoyed it!
    She doesn't technically run off with the scarecrow, her & Fiyero are in love and he just happens to have a spell cast on him to turn him into the scarecrow. As she says to him "It's looking at things another way!" <3
    Forum Member
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    She doesn't technically run off with the scarecrow, her & Fiyero are in love and he just happens to have a spell cast on him to turn him into the scarecrow. As she says to him "It's looking at things another way!" <3

True.. I just wasn't keen on it!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's a bit late in the day but if anyone else in looking for a decent restaurant in the same area - we went here http://www.bumbles1950.com/ when we went to see Wicked
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello!

I'm going to see Wicked in April and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good italian restaurant either near by or within tube distance. I appreciate there is a Zizzi's in the shopping complex just down the road but I'm wondering if there is a more quiet and traditional venue somewhere for my pre-show dinner.

Thanks!

PS: How soon before ticket time do they usually open the doors and let people go find their seats?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :DAnother place for you to consider is Wagamamas.
    My daugher and I went to see Wicked in November for her 21st. It was absolutely freezing and we didn't want to venture far - so we wandered round a few of the shops and had our lunch in Wags - we went to the Matinee.
    Hope you have a wonderful time. We absolutely loved it from start to finish. Rachel was fantastic as the lead and Lee Mead was in it too!
    They open the doors fairly early - its a good idea to get in and settled and go to the loo etc!! as it gets very busy in the interval etc. Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah having thought it over I think I may just go to Zizzi's around the corner. It's local. I just hope it's not packed. I'm planning to go around 5pm so perhaps it will be on the quiet side. I like getting there early too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Hello!

I'm going to see Wicked in April and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good italian restaurant either near by or within tube distance. I appreciate there is a Zizzi's in the shopping complex just down the road but I'm wondering if there is a more quiet and traditional venue somewhere for my pre-show dinner.

Thanks!

PS: How soon before ticket time do they usually open the doors and let people go find their seats?

This place is bang opposite the theatre:

http://www.ilpostovictoria.co.uk/

Or there's L'Arco, in Buckingham Palace Road, about 5 minutes walk from the theatre:

http://www.larco.co.uk/

Both what I'd call "traditional" Italian places, and the food's decent in both.

Doors generally open about 45 minutes before curtain up, but you don't need to be there bang on time.

Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooo those both look very good.. exactly what I was aiming for really. Thanks doihaveto! :)