Phonecall about bank charges refund

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just received a call from someone saying I am owed £800 for bank charges. He said he was from First call banking I think, I coudn't understand him very well. He knew my name my address and obviously phone number. He asked for my date of birth which I refused, I then told him I would speak to my bank if this was the case, so he then got annoyed - I then gave him some choice words. Yesterday I got 5 silent calls with no number available on 1471
What I want to know is how did these people get my details? I am ex directory and the only person who knows my landline number is my sister, I've haven't given it to anyone else. I am also not on the electoral roll that can be sold to companies, only the basic version. The only company that has my number and details is my phone provider TALK TALK. Are they responsible?

Comments

• ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    You should have given him all the details he wanted...just the wrong details. Its what I do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    You should have given him all the details he wanted...just the wrong details. Its what I do.
    I prefer the swearing and police threats approach :D
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I prefer the swearing and police threats approach :D

I dont like confrontation... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the only fun I get these days
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I've just received a call from someone saying I am owed £800 for bank charges

The only company that has my number and details is my phone provider TALK TALK. Are they responsible?

These calls are the latest "you have won a new kitchen" calls.

They try to make out you are owed money from the bank (and some people are) however they will offer to recover them for you for a small fee, payable in advance - which will be non -refundable.

Then tell you that their investigation has discovered that you aren't entitled.

Unfortunately these calls originate in the Philippines so are not covered by the Telephone Preference Service or the laws regarding automatic call dialers that just run through lists of numbers until someone answers.

Nowt you can do, other than some tried and trusted methods.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    These calls are the latest "you have won a new kitchen" calls.

They try to make out you are owed money from the bank (and some people are) however they will offer to recover them for you for a small fee, payable in advance - which will be non -refundable.

Then tell you that their investigation has discovered that you aren't entitled.

Unfortunately these calls originate in the Philippines so are not covered by the Telephone Preference Service or the laws regarding automatic call dialers that just run through lists of numbers until someone answers.

Nowt you can do, other than some tried and trusted methods.
    But they can't be putting in random numbers because he knew my name and address, the only place they could have got my number from is Talk Talk