ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks like it might(?) be worth a look ? Trailer

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Seen this last night,looks really funny, I Like Danny McBride, he is brilliant in Eastbound and Down
  • Options
    ValWValW Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting VERY mixed reviews! Every one I've seen either calls it genius or puerile, not a lot in between.

I want to see it for Rasmus Hardiker, who's one of my favourite scene stealers, but I'm not going to shell out if the whole film's not that good. I'll be interested in reading your views if you go and see it.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting very mixed reviews, mostly on the negative side. I've seen the trailer and it cracks me up every time! ''You suck it, you suck it''! :D I love Danny McBride, he's great in anything he's in but he's fantastic on Eastbound and Down.

Although it may also be down to the overexposure of James Franco and/or Natalie Portman who seems to be in EVERYTHING - Black Swan/Friends with Benefits/Your Highness/Thor/Hesher - that's 5 movies this year already!

I think a lot don't like it simply because it's rude, crude and vulgar. In my eyes nothing wrong with that as long as it's entertaining and makes me laugh! I'll be watching this for deffo!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    watched it last night- quite liked it :) something silly to enjoy with a fair few laughs in it :D and it was an hour and 40 minutes long (or so) but didn't seem that long at all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I just don't like Danny McBride, I have tried to give him a go, but he is just not my kind of humour and so a film where he is more in the foreground is really giving me pause. I do like James Franco though so it will depend on what else is on at the same time.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I have a strange obsession with Zooey Deschanel, so I'll probably end up watching it, not holding up too much hope though, her movie choices are usually apalling (excluding 500 Days Of Summer, obvs).

Looks like it has a good premise, but could go either way.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Getting very mixed reviews, mostly on the negative side. I've seen the trailer and it cracks me up every time! ''You suck it, you suck it''! :D I love Danny McBride, he's great in anything he's in but he's fantastic on Eastbound and Down.

Although it may also be down to the overexposure of James Franco and/or Natalie Portman who seems to be in EVERYTHING - Black Swan/Friends with Benefits/Your Highness/Thor/Hesher - that's 5 movies this year already!

I think a lot don't like it simply because it's rude, crude and vulgar. In my eyes nothing wrong with that as long as it's entertaining and makes me laugh! I'll be watching this for deffo!
    It's good that an actress doesn't want to be typecast but she could be slipping into the zone of many other actresses that are doing crappy rom-coms and zany comedies.

There are many good looking actresses out there who could do a lot better but seem to end up doing these types of films.

Never heard of Danny McBride.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I tried so hard to like the film - but, sorry, no. It sucked (in my opinion at least).

It had a few moments where I smiled. A few when I laughed... but most of it was cringe-worthy and people laughed in an embarrassed fashion (and the cinema was quite full). As I watched it at Hatfield, in a room filled mainly by students, it was the right audience for such a movie too - so I'd consider that a fail right there.

Now I've got an open mind and have probably joked about things just as crude, or worse, on a night out. Sometimes you and your mates just get into 'the zone' and get carried away and think it's the funniest time ever.. then you tell people later and it doesn't seem as funny. You then have to say 'ah, but you had to be there'.

Well, in this film, the jokes are like you weren't part of the group and from the outside it was just a bunch of idiots acting like prats.

There was some eye candy for sure, but I was more surprised by some really big names really making fools of themselves. Still IMDB suggests that a lot of it was made up as they went along and they deviated from the script loads, so maybe that's why they weren't so funny.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the trailer to this looks terrible imo. i like a dum comedy but i cant even be arsed with this
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ValW wrote: »
    I want to see it for Rasmus Hardiker, who's one of my favourite scene stealers, but I'm not going to shell out if the whole film's not that good. I'll be interested in reading your views if you go and see it.

Oh, I love him! I was so torn about seeing this because frankly the trailer looks abysmal (apart from the music; the music's quite cool). But now I'm gonna drag my weak little body to the cinema and stuff my face with popcorn.

Star power, eh?
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it and was laughing throughout. Danny McBride was great - as were most of the cast actually.

I especially liked the pervert wizard thing. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Oh, I love him! I was so torn about seeing this because frankly the trailer looks abysmal (apart from the music; the music's quite cool). But now I'm gonna drag my weak little body to the cinema and stuff my face with popcorn.

I thought the trailer was great (the rude one at least) but hated the film. Hopefully this means you'll love the film!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether you'll enjoy this or not will almost certainly depend on how you feel about Danny McBride. Fans of Eastbound and Down should feel right at home as McBride plays a variant on his Kenny Powers character, albeit with a dodgy accent.

If you're expecting a sophisticated style of humour, well, you'll be disappointed.

But if fart gags and Carry On films get the better of you (despite yourself!), then there's bound to be a few laughs ahead.

Review here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I thought the trailer was great (the rude one at least) but hated the film. Hopefully this means you'll love the film!

Haha, I saw it yesterday and thought it was actually all right -- light nonsense, with some pretty impressive action sequences. I was in with a good audience who laughed at most of the stuff, though, so I guess it was pretty infectious! (Apart from one person across the aisle who fell asleep and snored louder than a dragon halfway through.)

My memory may be slightly biased as I hadn't been aware Damian Lewis was also starring, and that man... does things to me. And he was in armour. Flexing his muscles. And stuff. Oh, 'eck. :o

Bit disappointed by the end credits, however -- they were a bit plain! Thought there'd be some additional scenes -- out-takes or whatever. Maybe the budget had run out. The starting credits were nicely rendered, though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    And he was in armour. Flexing his muscles. And stuff. Oh, 'eck. :o
    !

If he was in armour you wouldn't see his muscles flexing - unless he can bend metal with his muscle clenching :p:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he was in armour you wouldn't see his muscles flexing - unless he can bend metal with his muscle clenching :p:D:D

:D Well, he was wearing sort of sleeveless armour, so there were quite a few muscles on display! Ahhhh, bliss...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very average, I thought. There didn't seem to be that many funny moments, and I can only remember one 'laugh out loud' moment. Most of the funnier stuff was only due to the context - i.e. old medievel people saying 'motherf***er.'

It reminded me of a slightly funnier 'Year One'. Not a good comparison. The plot was almost the same too.

There were only 4 people in the showing I saw (including me), and the whole screen seemed silent with no laughs.

Never seen anything with Danny McBride in before, but I am a fan of Zooey Dechanel and Natalie Portman. I remember seeing the guy who was the King in something else too, but can't remember what - maybe 'Ali G In Da House'?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I saw it today and it's fairly good. Some bits are funny for example Danny McBride wearing a minotaur wang round his neck as a trophy But Nathalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel's strange British accents grate after a while. But overall it's just a bit of fun and it doesn't take itself too seriously. The special effects and fight scenes are surprisingly good as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With a better script, it would have made a good movie. I think the improvised nature is what killed it, as it had potential.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this today and had a blast! :D

Not laugh out loud funny but funny and was chuckling throughout, extremely entertaining. James Franco and Danny McBride were brilliant in their roles incl. that guy who played McBride's sidekick Courtney. A lot of different British actors in this - Charles Dance, Damian Lewis, Toby Jones - and jeezo Natalie Portman was looking seriously fit! She's never looked so good as i saw her in this! Much preferred her in this than Black Swan.

If you like lots of blood, guts, gore and nudity with swear words peppered throughout and adult humour this is for you! Don't fight it, just let it wash over you! :D