Options

Patch Tuesday...

2»

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    They are released at 6PM on tuesdays, but that doesn't mean the PC will check then, I think it checks every 24 hours so it is likely many people recieve them on Wednesdays.

Maybe that's what happened. I'll have to ask him later if he got the updates.
  • Options
    NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yow - 23 updates, 592.5MB to download. It appears to be because my machine has SQL 2008, Visual Studio 2008, Office 2010 and is Windows 7 64 bit. Haven't missed any updates before though so this seems quite a lot. Oh well - downloading now.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Wow just how slow are some of your machines, I dreaded the reboot after looking at some of your posts, but it was a normal boot after the very quick install. Did this on several machines of different ages, none were 1hr+ lol. I skipped vista though, so win7/xp machines ftw!
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 19 updates took 5 minutes to download 118 meg and installed within 5 minutes as well. Windows 7 32 bit.

My two sons had 15 updates each 68 meg and they were quicker than my computer. They both have windows 7 32 bit.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14 of them, took about 15 minutes on my nearly 3yr old Vista lappy. Was a bit shocked when I saw the amount of them, have to admit:D
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading this thread again today (Wednesday, 11.38pm) and just noticed they have begun to download in the last minute! Spooky! It is taking a while, so there must be quite a number.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are 9 of them, but one is cumulative. Total around 15MB.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    18 updates this evening:eek: mostly security .

How many have you got?

Think i got 19
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Running XP Pro SP3 here still; I prefer to download updates manually, so I'll take a peek at what is on offer... (opens IE8 to visit the WIndows Update site as Opera doesn't support ActiveX)...

7 updates totalling 13.5MB (after removing the unnecessary Malicious Software Removal thing which this month alone is 12.9MB). I'll do them later as I've got stuff I need to download and share. I don't do anything risky like using pirated software from places I don't trust, or click on dodgy links, and I do have fully up-to-date security software.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My dad got 17 and he only got the updates on his computer last night.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Running XP Pro SP3 here still; I prefer to download updates manually, so I'll take a peek at what is on offer... (opens IE8 to visit the WIndows Update site as Opera doesn't support ActiveX)...

7 updates totalling 13.5MB (after removing the unnecessary Malicious Software Removal thing which this month alone is 12.9MB). I'll do them later as I've got stuff I need to download and share. I don't do anything risky like using pirated software from places I don't trust, or click on dodgy links, and I do have fully up-to-date security software.

You don't have to have pirated software to be vulnerable, these are literally security holes where little user interaction is required before you are pwned. Security holes are where intruders are able to escalate intrusion until they can execute code of their choosing. And of course your security software doesn't do anything for this, fundamental holes in the system.

Pirated software is an entirely different thing, if you install something on your system, it can rootkit itself and no patch is getting around that, a whole different level of pwn.

Even worse, by the time it gets to "tuesday" and microsoft actually bothers patching something these holes have been on your system being exploited in the wild for days, if not weeks...or months.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just checked and had 15 updates but mine just install so I never notice. W7 Ultimate