Have Virgin given up on their On Deman Service?

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
I've had Virgin for a long time since it was still NTL.I always found the on demand service to be one of the best thing about Virgin.However over the last year since Sky launched their own on demand service the content on Virgin on demand has got less and less.Some of the sections such as the US boxsets have nothing on it in my on demand section.It seems to me that Virgin have just given up and slowly scaled back this service!

Comments

• Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems like it, after all the noise they made, to be honest, i am abit disappointed
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Is there a place to send requests for new content for Virgin On Demand?
  • alwaysabearalwaysabear Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Their offerings on demand have certainly gone down since they lost HBO content. It is quiet disappointing really.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    IMHO I feel virgin had enormous pressure from sky to sell their channels for money and a channel deal that we got very little from i would have thought channels such sky alantic since virgin had a stake in the vod rights at the time... (maybe they sold them aswell...Who knows)!!!:eek:
    Im tired of the selection on the VOD system!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think they have.

Looks like the new focus is on the TIVO service, and with the Apps which will allow services from Lovefilm and a few others that may make the VM ondemand service virtually obsolete. As more usable apps come online, they can then start slowly increase the TIVO monthly service charge.
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Considering Virgin will soon have the full Sky Anytime VoD service available which will bring probably hundreds more hours worth of VoD content to the service I would have to say no they haven't given up on it all
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    So Virgin will have full Sky Anytime VOD before most Sky Customers?

Sounds fair
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Considering Virgin will soon have the full Sky Anytime VoD service available which will bring probably hundreds more hours worth of VoD content to the service I would have to say no they haven't given up on it all

It sounds great but will it have content from the channels VM don't carry like Atlantic?

Also will it just be BSkyB owned channels providing the content or will it provide content from other broadcasters. I know UKTV content is being added to VM but i'm not sure if that will be through the Anytime+ service.

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    It sounds great but will it have content from the channels VM don't carry like Atlantic?
    I meant in context of the Sky channels that VM carry and people subscribe to
    Forum Member
    I meant in context of the Sky channels that VM carry and people subscribe to

So does that mean it will only carry content from BSkyB's own channels that VM carry and not the likes of Disney and Viacom etc like Sky's version?
    Forum Member
    Well wait and see what Virgin announce and make your own mind up
    Forum Member
    Well wait and see what Virgin announce and make your own mind up

Fair enough but remember that everyone has been waiting since June 2010 when it was first announced Sky Vod was coming to VM! A bit longer won't matter I suppose. :)

It sounds good though.

http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/Stories/BskyB-and-Virgin-Media-Reach-Agreements-on-Sale-of-VMtv-and-Channel-Distribution-1a1.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    The Anytime content should make quite a big difference I feel, apparently a LOT of new content included within it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    So does that mean it will only carry content from BSkyB's own channels that VM carry and not the likes of Disney and Viacom etc like Sky's version?

There's quite a lot of Disney stuff on TV Choice - its over in the Kids section.