Singers you are baffled as to why they have so much success?

1235»

Comments

• iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with you on both counts. Florence I find to be incredibly screechy and shouts as opposed to singing. Jason Derulo I find to be completely pointless.

totally agree. jason was ok vocally with his debut, but is AWFUL live now. I was watching the MOBOs and was embarrassed to see him try. it was awful. he cant sing and dance at the same time, trying to be the next chris brown. has the body, but no vocals. alexis jordan was atrocious too.

florence needs serious singing lessons. she really cannot sing at all. I was listening closely to Shake it out and it sounded like they'd put a tuning tool on her vocals, so she didnt sound as bad. Maybe its me but when she sings 'Well what the hell I'm gonna let it happen to me'; the 'me' sounds robotic. Maybe its autotune cause she's awful, and the XF live performance showed that. I thought 'maybe she's changed and her voice has improved' but nope, just as screechy as ever.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Pitbull and Flo Rida are amazing
  • ZaichikZaichik Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I agree with a lot of the names others have posted.

I think it's quite telling that so many artists mention their names during their tracks (i.e. "yo - yo - it's JLS etc" during the intro or in the middle somewhere) - it's as if they know that their output is so bland and indistinguishable from all the other generic crap that's around, that it's the only way the audience will know who they are.

Check out the X Factor finalists' record (when JLS and One Direction appear) and the Pixie Lott/Jason Derulo duet for classic examples of this.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    totally agree. jason was ok vocally with his debut, but is AWFUL live now. I was watching the MOBOs and was embarrassed to see him try. it was awful. he cant sing and dance at the same time, trying to be the next chris brown. has the body, but no vocals. alexis jordan was atrocious too.

florence needs serious singing lessons. she really cannot sing at all. I was listening closely to Shake it out and it sounded like they'd put a tuning tool on her vocals, so she didnt sound as bad. Maybe its me but when she sings 'Well what the hell I'm gonna let it happen to me'; the 'me' sounds robotic. Maybe its autotune cause she's awful, and the XF live performance showed that. I thought 'maybe she's changed and her voice has improved' but nope, just as screechy as ever.

Jason Derulo is just a very over the top singer, I honestly have no idea why he does it. Maybe if he'd stop the shit dancing during the song and concentrate on trying to sing it. Funny thing is, he always uses the backing vocals on his songs live, yet that still doesn't help him. It's like when he performed at T4 on the Beach, he was woeful :eek: And ofcourse if all else fails rip your shirt off:rolleyes:

With Florence, I guess her voice is just very different, it's obviously not for everyone and I guess it's not for me. I love her version of 'You've Got The Love' I thought her voice sounded powerful, and I quite like 'Dog Days Are Over' but with hearing 'Shake It Out' it's just really shrieky and shouty. Her cover of 'Halo' wasn't the best either...
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Jason Derulo is just a very over the top singer, I honestly have no idea why he does it. Maybe if he'd stop the shit dancing during the song and concentrate on trying to sing it. Funny thing is, he always uses the backing vocals on his songs live, yet that still doesn't help him. It's like when he performed at T4 on the Beach, he was woeful :eek: And ofcourse if all else fails rip your shirt off:rolleyes:

With Florence, I guess her voice is just very different, it's obviously not for everyone and I guess it's not for me. I love her version of 'You've Got The Love' I thought her voice sounded powerful, and I quite like 'Dog Days Are Over' but with hearing 'Shake It Out' it's just really shrieky and shouty. Her cover of 'Halo' wasn't the best either...

to me I hate all her vocals. YGTL sounded awful IMHO. she sounded like a banshee. Thats not belting. but of course IMO.
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that Beyonce has only been mentioned once. Good.

I mentioned Britney in my first post but there are others successes that I can't understand:

I haven't seen anyone say Nicki Minaj though. My lord her music pains me. Her voice when she 'raps'. Is it even rapping? The words dont have any meaning, dont tell any story... "sigh.. im in love with your tie, fly fly fly....". It is like a drone and it's horrible.
    Again she is one that has resorted to the outrageous image to help to sell her music but I find it just as annoying as Gaga's.

Lady GaGa is another for me because she tries to sell her music as this completely original piece of work but often it is nothing but trashy euro-pop. Born This Way is my least favourite song of 2011.
    Her image really annoys me too because without all that crap that comes with her, I think I'd be a fan. I respect her because she writes her own music and has a very good voice like that of Beyonce and she seems intelligent and humourous in interviews but for as long as she spouts out these typical songs and walks around with a beheaded body on her back I think I'll stay away.

I think that Kesha is horrendous. I have hated all of her songs apart from the first one because she sounds the same on all of them and the sound is not particularly pleasant.

Katy Perry certainly isn't the best singer and I haven't liked any of the singles that have been taken from her second album. In interviews I find her slightly immature and OTT in ways that Lady GaGa isn't, but somehow she has a massive following. .

Cheryl Cole having more commercial success than both Nadine and Nicola is perhaps one of the most baffling things of all.
    I personally haven't heard Nadine's album but I know from Girls Aloud that she has excellent vocals. I also have been told by a friend that it is a good listen.
    Nicola's solo debut was absolutely outstanding and was just completely ignored and overlooked because of that first single, which probably made people feel embarrassed to even purchase her record.
    Both of Cheryl's albums have been panned and after listening to them I can see why. Awful vocals, awful songs. Awful. "Promise This" was my least favourite song of last year (or was it early this year?)
    Forum Member
    digichant wrote: »
    I see that Beyonce has only been mentioned once. Good.

I mentioned Britney in my first post but there are others successes that I can't understand:

I haven't seen anyone say Nicki Minaj though. My lord her music pains me. Her voice when she 'raps'. Is it even rapping? The words dont have any meaning, dont tell any story... "sigh.. im in love with your tie, fly fly fly....". It is like a drone and it's horrible.
    Again she is one that has resorted to the outrageous image to help to sell her music but I find it just as annoying as Gaga's.

Lady GaGa is another for me because she tries to sell her music as this completely original piece of work but often it is nothing but trashy euro-pop. Born This Way is my least favourite song of 2011.
    Her image really annoys me too because without all that crap that comes with her, I think I'd be a fan. I respect her because she writes her own music and has a very good voice like that of Beyonce and she seems intelligent and humourous in interviews but for as long as she spouts out these typical songs and walks around with a beheaded body on her back I think I'll stay away.

I think that Kesha is horrendous. I have hated all of her songs apart from the first one because she sounds the same on all of them and the sound is not particularly pleasant.

Katy Perry certainly isn't the best singer and I haven't liked any of the singles that have been taken from her second album. In interviews I find her slightly immature and OTT in ways that Lady GaGa isn't, but somehow she has a massive following. .

Cheryl Cole having more commercial success than both Nadine and Nicola is perhaps one of the most baffling things of all.
    I personally haven't heard Nadine's album but I know from Girls Aloud that she has excellent vocals. I also have been told by a friend that it is a good listen.
    Nicola's solo debut was absolutely outstanding and was just completely ignored and overlooked because of that first single, which probably made people feel embarrassed to even purchase her record.
    Both of Cheryl's albums have been panned and after listening to them I can see why. Awful vocals, awful songs. Awful. "Promise This" was my least favourite song of last year (or was it early this year?)

listen to other stuff by nicki. lil' wayne signed her when she was a girl off the street, due to the strength of her bars. shes done well for a rap artist though. to say there havent been many rapping females, she's doing well.

and its good B has been mentioned once, foolish, she does work hard to make sure she stays at the top of her game.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.

Adele is like by people who appreciate great singers, who can write personal tunes with heartfelt lyrics, who can nail it vocally live.

Briitney Spears is liked by shallow people (who usually hate Lady Gaga as well) who like attractive females who don't care whether she can sing or not, and are stupid enough to spend big bucks on seeing their idol lipsync in concert whilst half heartedly throwing dance shapes around the stage.

So why aren't you a Britney fan? Because with all the silly little jubes you have made throughout this thread, you seem like a shallow person yourself, who throws toys out of the pram is someone doesn't like the overhyped chav that is Adele.