Options

Gareth Gates on Loose Women 19/6/12 - stuttering

robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5c85z1EgU

did anyone see this?..I know it is very patronising but I couldn't help feeling sorry for him..It must be so hard to deal with it..I wonder if the loose women were expecting it, as Carol's face is a picture!..even his vocal couch shouting at him to "breathe" during the interview!

Comments

• Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Maybe the stress of being on a live show?
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    pegasus2 wrote: »

thats what I thought to. it's clearly an on going process.
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was because it was brought up in conversation, then it was on his mind. If no mention of his problem was highlighted then he may not have actually stuttered as much.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the stress does come into it. There was a documentary about Gareth Gates and his stammar quite a few years ago now, and he was so relaxed and happy filming the video for Spirit In The Sky, and then as soon as they started to interview him he struggled - he said it was because it had all gone quiet and all the lights and cameras.

There's a link to the documentary here, it was interesting to watch.

He's come a long way though. And he is lovely. :D
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »

It's a common misconception that nerves make a person stammer when they talk, but the reality is that talking situations make a person who stammers nervous.

It's a neurological condition that is variable with good days and bad days and is worse when tired and stress and also anxious. Gareth tweeted that he'd been having a tough time speech wise lately and just crumbled. All the speech tools and techniques were forgotten about in the live setting with questions coming from all sides.

Getting tongue tied when you don't know what to say is a completely different thing.

There is a programme on BBC2 at 1:30 today about British Stammering Association presented by Gareth that has more to say. Gareth's speech is much better in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I don't know about everyone else but what irritated me was that whenever he seemed to be about to say something they seemed to want to say it for him.

I know it's live so they need to get on with it so to speak , but this can't have been helpful. i know we all felt sympathy toward him but i was just cringing at how far this seemed to patronise him
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's generally considered very bad manners to finish a sentence for a person who stammers, although it is easier said than done. TV presenters and less experienced interviewers are terrified of periods of silence or "dead air", so I think they were filling in gaps because of their own insecurities rather than an attempt to patronise.

On a more positive note, Gareth got a lot of tweets from other stammers saying how glad they were he was able to go on tv and stammer, as it shows that it's an ongoing battle.

This is the appeal Gareth did with the British Stammering Association, where his speech is much better.

http://youtu.be/Xj4UYZNHtxY

And this is the documentary he did for the BBC where he's actually the coach, working with people who are right back at square one, going on their first course then seeing how they get on afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB90119A759612638
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't the end of the world and I hope he's okay about it.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about everyone else but what irritated me was that whenever he seemed to be about to say something they seemed to want to say it for him.
    I know it's live so they need to get on with it so to speak , but this can't have been helpful. i know we all felt sympathy toward him but i was just cringing at how far this seemed to patronise him
    Didn't notice them doing that from that clip at all.:confused:
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    their short for time that's probably why they finished off answers even so it's very rude to finish off someone's sentences.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    their short for time that's probably why they finished off answers even so it's very rude to finish off someone's sentences.

It is indeed but so easy to ignore and wade in as I have done in the past with my friend who has a bad stutter. OT she met her husband on a stuttering course. Yes every joke there is has been said but it was sweet and they both managed their vows with a minimum of stuttering!:D
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I used to have a stutter and my cousin still does. I would never finish someone's sentences for them if they were stuttering unless they asked me too.

Genuine question: does anybody know why stutterers don't stutter when singing? Gareth doesn't and neither does my cousin and both suffer quite badly when talking in normal conversation but can sing fine. Is it the way you breathe when singing?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's because they know the words in advance, with a song , whereas when talking you're thinking as you go along. Didn't GG say something to that effect when he was being interviewed? Maybe it does also have something to do with differences in the way the breathing works, too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have a stutter and my cousin still does. I would never finish someone's sentences for them if they were stuttering unless they asked me too.

Genuine question: does anybody know why stutterers don't stutter when singing? Gareth doesn't and neither does my cousin and both suffer quite badly when talking in normal conversation but can sing fine. Is it the way you breathe when singing?

The mind connects differently to the vocal cords when you apply either rhythm or melody.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a documentary that was on a while ago, he told one of the stammerers that he'd been involved on a course for his speech for 10 years and he hadn't finished it.
  • Options
    Charisma2Charisma2 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth did say on Twitter that his speech has been giving him problems for a few weeks again. He's also said in the past that this happens when he's not got time to do his daily breathing exercises.

Over the last month or so he has been extremely busy work wise, Loserville started last week in Leeds and he's also rehearsing for Legally Blonde which starts its run two days after Loserville ends and then between those two he's doing a one off concert in the West End for Momentous Musicals. He's also been fitting in several live music gigs up and down the country which he has to get to and from. He even resorted to traveling by Helicopter to one of them last week. I think all this may well have contributed to the way his speech was on Tuesday. He just hasn't had time to do his exercises.

People tend to think after the Documentary was shown where he was coaching other stammerers and his own speech was really good, that he's cured his problem, but that just isn't the case. He has to work very hard on a daily basis to maintain what he's achieved.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Charisma2 wrote: »

People tend to think after the Documentary was shown where he was coaching other stammerers and his own speech was really good, that he's cured his problem, but that just isn't the case. He has to work very hard on a daily basis to maintain what he's achieved.

I watched the documentary and thought he had moved forward so much since the first time he appeared on stage. Like a muscle it looks like he needs to constantly train to keep it at this level.
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must take so much courage to get on that stage and chat to them, in front of an audience, with millions watching. Hats off to him.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Denise Welch asked the same question.
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a few years ago his speech had improved a lot. So it's probably stress that's made it weaken again
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find my speech tics get worse after migraines for some reason, or if I'm tired or poorly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i watched it, and he said he was nervous with his speech..I felt embarrassed,, poor lad :(