Options

Doctor Who: Greatest Characters: Numbers 37 to 35

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
Forum Member
[highlight]37. The Master (John Simm)[/highlight]

PLAYED BY: John Simm
ONSCREEN: 2007, 2009-10
RATING: 70.13%

For many Doctor Who fans, John Simm is the Master. His over-the-top, insane performance of the Doctor's greatest nemesis has captured the imaginations of thousands of viewers, and his return for David Tennant's swansong made perfect sense: after all, there was never really an enemy that the 10th Doctor faced who affected him as much as Simm's Master. His complete take-over of Earth was possibly the most successful scheme of any Master; until the Doctor reversed time and defeated him, that is. Shot by his wife, the Master appeared dead, but was resurrected by a group of his followers, and succeeded in not only taking over the Earth, but also in turning every human being (bar two) into himself. You had to be there. Whilst not everyone enjoyed the series 3 finale, Simm's performance was praised by critics, his over-the-top cackling perfectly balanced with more subtle, darker moments.

REMEMBERED FOR: His laser screwdriver. Here come the drums. His wife. Becoming the Prime Minister.

[highlight]36. Professor Yana[/highlight]

PLAYED BY: Derek Jacobi
ONSCREEN: 2007
RATING: 70.94%

One higher than John Simm is his predecessor in the role. Derek Jacobi's turn as the lovable Yana turned terrifying Master is one of the most fondly remembered guest appearances in Doctor Who since it returned in 2005, and there's reason for it. As the bumbling Professor Yana, Jacobi played a character who it was nigh on impossible not to like; a man whose life's work was devoted to helping other people. That was probably reason for why his transformation into the Master and subsequent brutal murder of Chan-Chantho-tho was so horrifying: helped in no small part by Derek Jacobi's outstanding ability as an actor.

REMEMBERED FOR: You are not alone. His pocket watch. I! Am! The Master!

[highlight]35. Zoe Heriot[/highlight]

PLAYED BY: Wendy Padbury
ONSCREEN: 1968-69, 83
RATING: 71.71%

Joining the TARDIS crew for Patrick Troughton's final season as the Doctor, Zoe came as a complete contrast to Victoria, the companion she replaced. Extremely intelligent (The Doctor even commenting it could be very irritating!) and sometimes rather smug, Zoe's harsh and patronizing nature soon faded as her travels with the Doctor and Jamie (Who she loved to gently mock) broadened her mind and attitudes. Zoe's incredible logic sometimes surpassed even the Doctor's, although he criticized this on their first meeting, telling her that "logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority." Her final adventure with the Doctor ended with the Time Lords erasing her memories of all but her first encounter with the Doctor, her change in personality and attitude seemingly lost.

REMEMBERED FOR: Her logic. Her catsuit. Her martial art skills. Her dimples.

Sorry about the big gaps, I am very bust at the moment.
Any thoughts? Good placings for the characters? Let me know!

http://gregsdoctorwhoandreviewblog.weebly.com/40-to-31.html

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only seen a couple of Zoe's stories, but she was great in both of them. Luckily for me, one was The Mind Robber, with that great shot of her on the TARDIS console. She deserves a higher rating for that alone.

I know John Simm isn't to everyone's taste as the Master, but I think he works well, although very different from the classic series Masters.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spooky that Professor Yana and John Simm's Master came side by side in the Poll, exactly the same as they were in Utopia! :D

As for Zoe, that Mind Robber Cosnole Scene certainly shows of her best assets.....;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Spooky that Professor Yana and John Simm's Master came side by side in the Poll, exactly the same as they were in Utopia! :D

As for Zoe, that Mind Robber Cosnole Scene certainly shows of her best assets.....;)

Indeed! In fact, Roberts and delgado were the only Masters in the poll not to appear in 40 - 31. One is much higher, the other lower. Bet you can't guess which way round... :rolleyes:

Yes, I thought it might be inappropraite to put that in her 'remembered for' however :p