Options

Will you be voting to choose your PCC on Thursday?

Comments

• Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    No, because we only have two candidates and both are equally rubbish.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Even if I did remember and didn't work shifts I would still use a postal vote we fought a long time for postal votes to make voting easier for people to vote and not to use it jeopardizes that. I don't want to see us go back wards into having to turn up in person, time we started internet voting really we have the technology and could reach even more people.

The problem with postal voting and internet voting is that people can be forced to vote for people they don't want to vote for and also as been proved a few times with postal voting, it is possible for people to vote multiple times for the same person

Here is one of the reason why we should not have machines for voting or counting them for that matter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuthStar wrote: »
    Probably Not, I forgot to send out the request for a postal vote in time, and Its a 35 minute walk to the voting booth where I live, I would if it was vote mandatory thing though..

even if it was mandatory i would not vote, in fact i would make a point of not voting if it was mandatory.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Fair enough if you may be one of the few that do strange shifts and don't get the time, but many people do have the time, but go the easy option.

Why is taking the easy option wrong?

For the record I shall be spoiling my ballot by post :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will vote for the independent as I don't think the post should be politicised.
    The Lib Dem sounds like a soft touch and is in the god squad.
    The Labour candidate is the current Police Authority chief and will probably win if it goes the same way as other political elections.
    The Tory wants to recruit...more hobby bobbies!
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem is, an "independent" isn't always non-politicised, and you don't always truly know what they stand for and what's behind them. After all, there was the Independent candidate in Lincolnshire who was funded by American neo-cons with an interest in privitising the police, who ended up standing down once the fact came out. Who's to say other "Independents" don't have similar alterior motives? And one of our Independent candidates runs a care home that's recently had concerns raised about the way it's run. Not to mention our council's run by a bunch of "independents" who are totally incompetant at the job. I don't trust "Independents" any more than I trust people who are members of a party. I'm not I like the idea of PCCs full stop, whether they're from a political party or not.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't vote then don't later moan.

Why not? Who actually asked for this system to be put in place, certainly no-one that I know of. In my opinion the Police Service should not be politicised/Americanised, and be asked to carry out policies that are aimed to win votes for the next elections.
  • Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the ad on telly and thats it,no flyers either so wont bother.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with postal voting and internet voting is that people can be forced to vote for people they don't want to vote for and also as been proved a few times with postal voting, it is possible for people to vote multiple times for the same person

Here is one of the reason why we should not have machines for voting or counting them for that matter

So tighten up the system, we are supposed to be evolved clever creatures there has to be some way to make it safe.

As for forcing people to vote one way or another we cannot run our country just because some people are in rotten relationships.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how this poll matches up with actual turnout on Thursday. I will be quite surprised if turnout reaches as high as the 25% here, which is a piss poor percentage as it is.

I've still not seen anything in our local press, no one canvassing around town handing out leaflets, and there's been nothing on the local news, at least not while I've been watching anyway.

I just hope the low turnout doesn't allow for the odd extremist to slip through the net and win, like the guy standing for the British Freedom Party in Bedfordshire, a leader of the English Defence League. No doubt they'll be mobilising their supporters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Why is taking the easy option wrong?

In my opinion, if you can't be bothered to go and vote, then you not interested in the first place.
    Our council proved a few years back that some people will vote only if it is made easy as on a local election they decided to make it postal vote only. more people voted that year than any other year for years.
    I myself did not as I never agree with postal voting unless s I said before there is no way on this earth yo can get to the polling station .
    For the record I shall be spoiling my ballot by post :)

What is the point? You are just costing tax payers more money and it will just be classed as a non-vote.
    so what you are doing is the same as me and not bothering to vote, because if you think they take notice of spoiled slips then you are deluded, because they don't/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    So tighten up the system, we are supposed to be evolved clever creatures there has to be some way to make it safe.

Can't be done, machines can go wrong. We are not as clever as we think we are.

As for forcing people to vote one way or another we cannot run our country just because some people are in rotten relationships.

Not just about rotten relationships.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how this poll matches up with actual turnout on Thursday. I will be quite surprised if turnout reaches as high as the 25% here, which is a piss poor percentage as it is.

I've still not seen anything in our local press, no one canvassing around town handing out leaflets, and there's been nothing on the local news, at least not while I've been watching anyway.

I just hope the low turnout doesn't allow for the odd extremist to slip through the net and win, like the guy standing for the British Freedom Party in Bedfordshire, a leader of the English Defence League. No doubt they'll be mobilising their supporters.

In one way I hope it does, it will show the government up
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    NO way.

And I have *never* not voted since I came of voting age.... I even travelled home from uni once to vote in a parish council election.

This PCC thing is totally unsupported in my area; there is outright opposition to it.
    I won't vote, and neither will anyone in my family (all usually faithful and conscientious voters). The low turnout will be an utter embarrassment, I predict, and the person elected in this area will have no mandate whatsoever to carry out their job.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I won't vote, and neither will anyone in my family (all usually faithful and conscientious voters). The low turnout will be an utter embarrassment, I predict, and the person elected in this area will have no mandate whatsoever to carry out their job.

Funny how when there's a 20% turnout for strike votes the Union leaders call that "legitimate" and "democracy" but the government say they have no mandate for action - so it depends on which side of the argument you are on.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Problem is, an "independent" isn't always non-politicised, and you don't always truly know what they stand for and what's behind them. After all, there was the Independent candidate in Lincolnshire who was funded by American neo-cons with an interest in privatising the police, who ended up standing down once the fact came out. Who's to say other "Independents" don't have similar ulterior motives? And one of our Independent candidates runs a care home that's recently had concerns raised about the way it's run. Not to mention our council's run by a bunch of "independents" who are totally incompetent at the job. I don't trust "Independents" any more than I trust people who are members of a party. I'm not I like the idea of PCCs full stop, whether they're from a political party or not.

Yes, I made this point earlier on the thread. The only candidate in my area that I have ever heard of is standing as an independent. However he is a well known local Lib-Dem and on the council in that capacity. He is also the current chair of the local police authority.

Says he is standing as an independent as this post should not be politicised. I think he just reckons he will get more votes as an Independent than as a Lib-Dem in the current climate. I've no idea how many of the other 5 "independents" are truly independent either.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Funny how when there's a 20% turnout for strike votes the Union leaders call that "legitimate" and "democracy" but the government say they have no mandate for action - so it depends on which side of the argument you are on.

That's a hard one I guess.
    I'm a member of a union, though I don't often vote when there's a ballot. Usually though, I will walk out if there is a strike.

I suppose the measure of support for a strike can be measured by how many people participate in the strike when it actually happens. If very few people turn up to work, then it's plain that there was underlying support for a strike, even if it wasn't immediately apparent from a ballot.

It's also not quite the same. We're not having a vote here on whether to have a PCC or not. If we were I'd be out this minute leafleting and canvassing against it.
    We're being asked to participate in something I strongly disagree with, so I shan't
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, if you can't be bothered to go and vote, then you not interested in the first place.

Sorry, I'm still not getting that. I use postal voting for the convienience. If I didn't have a postal vote, I'd walk to the polling station to do it. I don't see why making it more of an effort adds value.
    What is the point? ...

Sorry, that was a joke, hence the :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I'm going to vote for the one candidate of 3 who has actually been a police officer.

Think that means I'm putting as much thought in to it as the person who came up with it!
  • Options
    citiuscitius Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    i have voted in every single election or referrendum vote since I was 18. However, I will not be voting in the PCC election for 2 reasons.

1)These elections were not wanted and are not needed. Nobody asked for them.

2)The candidates should not be party political. I fear the worst.

For the 1st time I am NOT ashamed to say I will be abstaining from an election. This whole election is undemocratic and a waste of money.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. It's just more bureaucratic illusionist BS.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be voting.

We have only had a leaflet from the Tory candidate in this area. Not seen anything about any of the other candidates at all. Don't even know their names.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    My OH and I are working at the count - it is an hourly rate and is about 12 miles away from where we live. We were hoping to make some money for Christmas, but going by the replies on this thread we will be lucky to cover our travel! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It seems only people with Internet access are expected to vote because the candidates have supposedly put up there profiles.
    But could I find out anything about any candidate standing in my area? No, and I searched through several sites including the one suggested on the polling card.
    Therefore if they can't be bothered to put a leaflet through my door then I can't be bothered to walk down to the polling station and vote just by blindly picking one of the names.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Therefore if they can't be bothered to put a leaflet through my door then I can't be bothered to walk down to the polling station and vote just by blindly picking one of the names.

Who do you think should pay for all of the leaflets to be printed and delivered?

If it had been taxpayers money then I'm sure people would be complaining that it's a waste of money and not environmentally friendly.