Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW I watched the s1 ep 2 of the french DM and I won't be bothering with it again. The acting is awful and they just don't convey the message the way the UK version does. Not sure if it is the actors or the writing but it just doesn't have "it". It comes across as a bit of a farce.

I will stick with "The Young Montalbano" for my foreign tv shows instead. :):):)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    BTW I watched the s1 ep 2 of the french DM and I won't be bothering with it again. The acting is awful and they just don't convey the message the way the UK version does. Not sure if it is the actors or the writing but it just doesn't have "it". It comes across as a bit of a farce.

I will stick with "The Young Montalbano" for my foreign tv shows instead. :):):)

as in the Sicilian Inspector Montalbano, protagonist of a great series by Andrea Camilleri? If so, I am very envious!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What did really upset me was when a survivor (their parents really) of the lastest primary school massacre sued the state for trauma about a week after it happened. Does this teach resilience or compassion? Couldn't they have put themselves out enough to consider the trauma to the poor families that lost loved ones? I know other Americans were offended by this too, so I am not generalising. But, this is the sort of story that gets reported here in Australia. I am sure there are a lot of nice stories to come out but this is what the rest of the world gets to see.

I don't know why I posted this rant!! :eek::eek:
    Please ignore as it is totally irrelevant.
    I have had no sleep or have been watching too much grumpy DM!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    as in the Sicilian Inspector Montalbano, protagonist of a great series by Andrea Camilleri? If so, I am very envious!

Yes! It is the prequel to Inspector Montalbano. He was gorgeous when he was young. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Another case of a policeman can't have a steady relationship scenario but it means there are a lot of women in and out of his life. :)

Snappy dialogue, quite funny, beautiful scenery and most of the acting is pretty good. I can forgive them a lot though because they're Italian and beautiful even when they are chubby, not so attractive or old because they seem real. (Like the people of Portwenn. )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I note that the Flint house from S2E3 is on your yet unidentified list. When I watched Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie I thought that the house he wanted to buy was that property - Anybody else???

Also, there is that segment on YouTube with Martin and Phillipa where they discuss the farm where the interiors are shot - they mention that they use the farm in the series and I thought it looked like Phil Pratts farm. Your locations show Phils farm and Rosscarrock farm quite a distance away noting that the interiors of the surgery are shot there. Have they changed locations?

Your dedication to this task is amazing and greatly appreciated

Shop girl - I watched the YouTube and the Phil Pratt episode side by side and see the differences - similarity in the farmhouse but it is smaller and when they show the long shot of Phil's farm, it obviously lacks quite a few of the out buildings. Forgive me if it seemed I doubted your talent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I don't know why I posted this rant!! :eek::eek:
    Please ignore as it is totally irrelevant.
    I have had no sleep or have been watching too much grumpy DM!!

I certainly forgive your rant. I too was appalled by this lawsuit. There has been no additional press on it so hope that the lawyer/slime who brought it forth has slipped back into the primorial ooze. I wondered if the parents he referred to actually knew what he was going to do.

Sad to know that these exploitations of our collective grief are the world's view of us. We are better than this.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw a program on one of the pbs stations years ago about Al Hirschfeld's career as an entertainment caricaturist for the New York Times for many years. He was the greatest. After his wife died he used to squire much younger ladies around town in his huge, I believe, Lincoln Town Car, to go to the theater to draw a rough sketch of the show he was seeing. Mind you, he was well up in age, probably upper 80's still driving in New York City traffic at night! He then went home to his apartment and drew, sitting in a barber chair to sketch away. I believe he always drew his daughter Nina's name within the picture and you always looked for it when one of his drawings was printed in the paper. I envy you for owning that collectible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly forgive your rant. I too was appalled by this lawsuit. There has been no additional press on it so hope that the lawyer/slime who brought it forth has slipped back into the primorial ooze. I wondered if the parents he referred to actually knew what he was going to do.

Sad to know that these exploitations of our collective grief are the world's view of us. We are better than this.

Luckily most of us know a few Americans and understand that these ijiots are the radical outer fringe. You do get some good press here too.

We Australians have to put up with being considered "bogans" by the rest of the world even though they make up < 1% of the population. :)

I must have been hormonal when I posted it! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We are having reruns of ST: Next generation on TV at the moment. 3 a night 3 nights a week. It is great as I've been taping them as there is nothing else on TV. Thank goodness US shows have 22 eps a year. I am also watching Bones.

We are severely limited in TV offerings as every channel has been taken over by cricket and tennis and even the golf was on the other night.

Well goodness gracious there might be a link - it is summer, here. :)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They did drop the suit, pretty much the next day.
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    And to you in particular ggo85. I really enjoy the fan fiction.

Thank you. I enjoy writing it!

BTW, Madmother, I have a suggestion for your DM site . . . how about a place for FF story ideas/requests? AKA "plot bunnies." This would be ideas only for FF . . . not suggestions for what the real writers should do.

Those of us who write FF sometimes need/want a bit of inspiration. Seeing what folks would like to have written might generate some ideas. And suggestions should of course be PG-rated. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    Those of us who write FF sometimes need/want a bit of inspiration. Seeing what folks would like to have written might generate some ideas. And suggestions should of course be PG-rated. :)

Darn it! There goes my idea...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    They did drop the suit, pretty much the next day.

Of course THAT was never reported here. :(
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Adelie Manchot View Post
    mmDerdekea:

I failed to mention and wanted to tell you that your story "The Third Time" is one of my favorite stories. I have it on my Kindle.
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Whee! It's great getting up out of my sick bed to read that! Thanks Adelie!

I just finished "The Third Time" and can't thank you enough, mmDerdekea, for writing such a good read.

And I do also muchly appreciate it being mentioned on this forum as I hadn't run into it yet on ff. You are all a lovely bunch!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    So it's at Port Gaverne, or thereabouts, right? I never would have guessed. Good detective work, once again!

The place definitely needs some work, especially some updating, but look at all of those windows overlooking the sea! Maybe if we all pool our money....

It's actually in Port Isaac at the southeast edge of town, right off Trewetha Ln (although it overlooks Port Gaverne). I'll post when I get it updated on the map.

I am constantly amazed at the prices of homes in the UK and in Europe. I enjoy watching House Hunters and I cannot believe what people pay for houses that are falling down over here. I remember watching once when a couple was looking for a place in rural Italy. They bought an architecturally interesting place that was practically gutted and needed a ton of work, but I think they still paid several hundred thousand dollars just of the shell of the house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it a bit of a clanger in this episode for me anyway: Not the usual never explain typical of this show when LG says they need a door (to lift Holly), perhaps a driftwood one. I thought that dialogue was a bit heavy handed. When they brought the door LG could have said “Oh a driftwood door, how lucky.” Or something.

I just saw this as a really funny, small exchange. They were both very awkward because this was their first encounter after the events of the evening before and they were thrown together. When Louisa said they needed a door he scoffed that they wouldn't find a door on a beach and she suggested a driftwood one - which was pretty darn unlikely - to find a piece of driftwood that large. And then seconds later, there they are with a door! Poor Martin - even when he's being practical he loses the argument to The Portwenn Effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop girl - I watched the YouTube and the Phil Pratt episode side by side and see the differences - similarity in the farmhouse but it is smaller and when they show the long shot of Phil's farm, it obviously lacks quite a few of the out buildings. Forgive me if it seemed I doubted your talent.

No worries :cool:

The only reason I know where they shoot the interiors is because I have read several articles where they mention it is at Roscarrock Farm, - and Google Maps identifies the farm. For Phil Pratt's farm I noticed that the coastline had some unusual characteristics and kind of zeroed in on that area on the coast. I wandered around street view and the google car had driven right into the yard of the farm (the spot where he was injured). It was so obviously the farmhouse because it had the two story addition with the different siding. That one was really a stroke of luck ;)

Thanks for the clue about the Flynt house though. I will pull out the movie and take a look. If they used it for both shows it has to be fairly close. And there are several buildings in the cluster. I wonder if it really has all the fridges? I can't imagine what it would have cost to procure all of them just to shoot those scenes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! A lot of GREAT analysis of this episode! I love the idea of the funeral procession as the funeral of their relationship and then picking up the pieces in her kitchen. Good stuff! I have always thought that MC may have choreographed that procession using the knowledge he obtained from playing the undertaker on W&M. Did you notice how Louisa had her hands clasped like she was praying as she led the procession?

A couple of additional thoughts

1. Was this the only time we have ever seen them using an appointment book in the surgery rather than the computer? Martin picks it up to ask if Dawn is "Mum". And then Pauline uses it to make the 6 month appointment for her mum.

2. When Martin picks up Louisa for the concert, it looks like he wants to comment on the pretty dress she is wearing but just can't seem to say the words. I think he is incredibly nervous at that moment.

3. Did you notice that Martin did not say one word to Holly when she came up to them at intermission? (with the exception of one syllable - "Ah") He IS lacking social skills, but I think that was more a reaction to Holly's overbearing personality than anything else.

4. The scene when he takes Louisa's hand is one of my favorite all time DM scenes. He fumbles it badly a couple of times until he manages it and then looks so satisfied. I like to compare it to the way they took each others hand at the close of S5. It was just so natural for both of them and showed that they have come a long way in being comfortable with each other.

5. Even though they went under the trees for the kiss, he was certainly not afraid of a very PDA with all of those people walking right by them.

6. The scene in the car was just heartbreaking. But don't all good love stories have a good heartbreaking moment? I also found it heartbreaking when he was leaving Louisa's room after getting Holly settled. His clipped, "Louisa" before he turned to leave just breaks my heart every time I watch.

7. I always laugh at the fishermen having this very serious discussion about back problems as they are carrying Holly into the bedroom and then while they continue to hang around. It's just something going on in the background, but it is SO not what you expect the fishermen to be talking about as they are struggling up the stairs.

8. The hug at the end. While I love this scene, I have always wondered about the choice (directing or editing?) of having Martin open his eyes before the shot fades. I love that he closed his eyes when she jumped into his arms because it showed the depth of his feelings, but I have always puzzled why he opened them again so quickly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did alot of ST:TNG collecting back in the '80's/90's and attended alot of the important conventions to nab rarities and collectables. At first anniversary of ST:TNG convention in L.A. I became very 'thankful' for my (at that time) habit of smoking. I was out in the parking garage of the hotel having a smoke and Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart walked through the door to go to their cars. I had just purchased a copy of the script to '11001001' which they had mentioned was their favorite episode from the first season. They saw me there and said hello, I said Hello, apologized for being an 'evil smoker' and told them I agreed with them about that episode for it (to me) showed the great potential of the (then) new series. We chatted for a couple of minutes and they said they had to get going but asked if I would I be so kind to let them see the copy of the script I had just purchased. I handed it over and they then both signed it. I did not ask them, they just did it! I thanked them very kindly (no squeeing) and wished them a wonderful day because they just made mine wonderful. I went back into the convention to my friends and showed them the script and they were all congratuating me on getting the autographs and asked me if I had any spare cigarettes so they would have a reason to 'troll' the parking ramp.

The best collectible I have is "Star Trek: The Next Generation" by Al Hirschfeld.

Wow! Lucky you. :):)
    I'm hoping not to squee in front of Marina Sirtis :D though I'll probably gush in an embarrassing manner. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    Thank you. I enjoy writing it!

BTW, Madmother, I have a suggestion for your DM site . . . how about a place for FF story ideas/requests? AKA "plot bunnies." This would be ideas only for FF . . . not suggestions for what the real writers should do.

Good idea. :)
    I'll chat to DR and see what we can do. Wordpress isn't very user friendly for that sort of thing but we might be able to set it up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I just saw this as a really funny, small exchange. They were both very awkward because this was their first encounter after the events of the evening before and they were thrown together. When Louisa said they needed a door he scoffed that they wouldn't find a door on a beach and she suggested a driftwood one - which was pretty darn unlikely - to find a piece of driftwood that large. And then seconds later, there they are with a door! Poor Martin - even when he's being practical he loses the argument to The Portwenn Effect.

I am going to think of it that way next time I watch it because I know it can't be a bit of bad writing so it must have been meant. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some thoughts. . .

4. Although painful, I find the scene in the car when they are coming back from the concert and Martin questions her about why she is cross very believable. I feel such sympathy for him when he truly has no clue, but is reaching out.
    Biffpup wrote: »
    4. I feel sympathy for him too. He clearly doesn't understand what's gone wrong. He's trying to understand. Through his words to LG during the car ride, it's obvious he's WAY off the mark. He still doesn't seem to realize it was his words, once again, that caused the problem. In fact, after Louisa runs away after the kiss and he has to scurry after her, trying to catch up, he asks her if there's something else wrong. Poor man is so clueless.

He needs someone to spell it out for him, to clearly and calmly tell him when he's said or done something inappropriate, even to explain why certain words are inappropriate in certain situations. As DM suggests to LG in S5 E1 when JH cries, "he needs you to teach him". Obviously our DM needs LG to teach him too.

I feel sorry for him too. But as much as I often yell at the screen "talk to her" I really don't think they could have had a meaningful conversation about this at the time. I think LG is totally fed up with DM (and understandably so!!). I think walking away is the only thing she could do.

She's thinking not only is he never going to change but he doesn't even know what he did to upset her during the kiss and now he's still going on about hormones. :eek:
    I think I'd give up too. :cry::cry::cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    8. The hug at the end. While I love this scene, I have always wondered about the choice (directing or editing?) of having Martin open his eyes before the shot fades. I love that he closed his eyes when she jumped into his arms because it showed the depth of his feelings, but I have always puzzled why he opened them again so quickly?

It's interesting because I always thought it would have been more intimate for DM with his eyes closed. There are a lot of articles about intimacy and eyes closed while kissing re actors etc.

But then I read this...about Downton Abbey (which I don't watch so don't know what they're talking about except as it relates to this hug..)

V\http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/downton-abbey-premiere-recap-your-kiss-is-on-my-list-20130106

"Matthew, clean and crisp and sparkle-eyed in his jacket and tie, repressing a smile because the emotional truth of his love for her is so undeniable. "I would never be happy with anyone else as long as you walked the earth," he tells her, expressing the essence of love as clearly as I've ever heard it done (although Daniel Clowes came very close).

Symbiotic to the last, Matthew's confident reserve breaks down right at the same time Mary's builds back up: "Can I kiss you?" he asks, tilting his head and eyes upward in lovestruck desperation. "'Cuz I need to. Very much." Mary objects, citing the bad luck of seeing the bride before the wedding; Matthew finds a loophole, suggesting they both keep their eyes closed the whole time; Mary, back in charge, relents with a tilt of her head and the funniest reluctant-romance sigh of "all right" since GoodFellas' R-rated variation on the theme.

With the atmosphere of intimacy – the lighting, the characters' posture, their vulnerable and desperate and sugar-sweet dialogue, Michelle Dockery's pillow-soft voice – already so tangible you feel like you could reach out and stroke its hair, the run-up to the kiss itself enriches it even further. We watch from behind Mary's turned back, waiting for Matthew to emerge from around the door, a big open space on the right side of the frame calling attention to where we know he'll pop out any second, like a romantic remix of a slasher-movie attack. With their eyes closed their approach is even slower than normal, slowing time to a standstill and heightening all the remaining senses.

Finally, the strings swell, Mary tentatively finds Matthew's smiling face with her fingers, and they kiss. *Swoooooooon.* I melted, I'm telling you, melted. I felt like society tells us that girls feel about these things. I understood why Lady Mary disobeyed her own command not to cheat and opened her eyes, so that she could record and preserve the moment in her mind – so that she could verify that it was actually happening. It was the most romantic kiss I've ever seen on screen. I never wanted it to end."

Do you think this could be true for DM? To preserve the moment? Very interested in your insightful opinions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    Wow! Lucky you. :):)
    I'm hoping not to squee in front of Marina Sirtis :D though I'll probably gush in an embarrassing manner. :rolleyes:

Brent (who commissioned the Hirshchfeld) offered a few of them for sale at $350 at the convention to benefit a charity (I forget which). I spent every penny I had left to purchase collectibles to buy it. Thank G_d he didn't put them up as an auction because there was no way I could have bought it. I do not know but I am guessing that he knew that by doing it the way he did he gave the 'regular folks' a chance at it, not just the ones with really deep pockets.

My best friend who drew the Penguin for me and made it into cloth is very active in the Stargate fandom. She makes dollies of the characters that are highly collectible (the woman KNOWS how to sew!). She started making them for friends and the actors saw them and wanted ones for themselves. So she made them ones and a spare that could be auctioned off to benefit their favorite charites. The last time a set of her dollies were auctioned they went for $1,300-$1,500 per doll.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie: I always felt that he opened his eyes just to make sure what was happening was real and not a figment of the imagination. I would assume it is something he had dreamt about (think dream sequence in 'Haemophobia') many times in one form or another.
This discussion has been closed.