Which finale of a Show really hit you hard?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sopranos just the way his bodyguard wonders off to the toilet, and the restaurant door opens and you don't know if Tony's daughter or a hit man walking in.

Black Adder of course, classic ending, one of the best

Yep, every series ending of Blackadder makes me cry, especially Blackadder Goes Forth

The One Foot in the Grave finale was very sad too, it felt so unnecessary for them to kill Victor off.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could also say that the finale of The Sopranos hit me hard because it made me so utterly angry that it ended in the way it did - one of the greatest shows of all time ending in such a way that makes me think my recording of it crapped out.

Sopranos really hit me hard, for the exact opposite reason. It was so strong, it ended just like life, cut to black, cut to nothing, just a void. No highlights real, didn't even see it come, one to the back of head and it's all over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Sopranos just the way his bodyguard wonders off to the toilet, and the restaurant door opens and you don't know if Tony's daughter or a hit man walking in.

Black Adder of course, classic ending, one of the best

That was not Tony's bodyguard. The guy who goes to the toilet is the person who kills Tony. He's part of the Leotardo family and is wearing a Member's Only Jacket, one of the symbols used throughout the show to signify killers and the Mafia. He goes in there to prepare the gun and shoot Tony from behind, just like Phil Leotardo was shot.

The reason the diner scene is set up that way from a point-of-view angle is to puts you in Tony's position - you see exactly what Tony sees, the view when he's walking in to the diner, his position when he's sitting down looking over at the door.

The point is to make it clear that Meadow is going to walk in right at the moment Tony is killed, and be unable to do anything to stop it.

The reason it goes instantly black is that he's killed. In an earlier episode when he's discussing death with Bobby (I think?), Tony says something like - "you never see it coming - the world just goes black".

But yeah, one of the great scenes in television history. :)
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ER. I couldn't believe that after 15 years it was all over! I was in withdrawal for about 3 years.......

I liked the ER ending for its simplicity when it just suggests 'life and work goes on'

I liked the end of Frasier, the scenes with Niles were nicely done about going for one last coffee.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    The final episode of Babylon 5 "Sleeping in Light" damn near had me bawling.

That has to be one of the best and emotional. Especially when JMS did his cameo switching off the lights - really felt like one was saying Goodbye.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Frasier finale. I blubbed when Martin thanked him for everything he had done. I agree with the other poster that says it was better than the Friends one. Mainly because the last two seasons of Friends were so awful I was a bit relieved to see it go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I liked the ER ending for its simplicity when it just suggests 'life and work goes on'

I liked the end of Frasier, the scenes with Niles were nicely done about going for one last coffee.

BIB Agreed. The Frasier finale felt very natural to me. I really liked how he was telling the story to the woman on the plane and how he was going off to somewhere new to start a new life, it felt very fitting, just like how he left Cheers to start a new life in Seattle.

Also, the finale of Battlestar Galactica had my eyes wet at several points. The fleet going into the sun so they could start a whole new way of life, Kara and Lee talking, how she had done what she was meant to do and Lee turning round and she was gone, then Lee said 'You wont be forgotten... cue emotion! And Laura dying, beautiful and heartbreaking! A total emotional roller-coaster of the highest degree.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    The end of Miami Vice...had been part of teen years until I left home...
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six Feet Under :cry::cry::cry:.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TTSCC

Damm you why does it keep changing it to lower case???
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Another one for Six Feet Under, started sobbing about half way through the closing sequence and was still sobbing over an hour later - to this day that song still brings a lump to my throat :cry:
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St Elsewhere without a doubt, the ending was so unexpected in what was the best hospital drama ever.
    Lost was hyped up but the finale was rather disappointing.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Six Feet Under for me too.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Not the finale for the show but Michael J.Fox's departure from Spin City.I think he's great and you knew he was leaving because of his condition and then he came out in front of the studio audience at the end and hugged the cast goodbye.

God yeah that was really sad. You could see the actors struggling with it. Having Springsteen in the background really helped too.

Great endings? The Soprano's. I'm in the minority I think - even among hardened fans of the show - but the final scene was ridiculously perfect I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Life on Mars (uk) Sam leaping to his death because he can't take reality and wants to go back to his 70's fantasy. From the moment he goes to see his mum and tells her he promised Annie he would not leave her, and his mum tells him, he always keeps his promises, gets me every time. Even listening to the song gets me now. Ashes to Ashes tied it all up but Life on Mars was emotional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_me wrote: »
    Another vote for the Frasier finale. I blubbed when Martin thanked him for everything he had done. I agree with the other poster that says it was better than the Friends one. Mainly because the last two seasons of Friends were so awful I was a bit relieved to see it go!

That relationship was so brilliantly written. I loved the episode when they they saw Frasiers' Jewish girlfriend and mother fighting and all those scenes with the chair. They were basically a married couple.
    BIB Agreed. The Frasier finale felt very natural to me. I really liked how he was telling the story to the woman on the plane and how he was going off to somewhere new to start a new life, it felt very fitting, just like how he left Cheers to start a new life in Seattle.

It had all the makings ready for another 'Frasier'. I'm glad they didn't do it (or haven't yet) but it was so fantastically written.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_me wrote: »

That relationship was so brilliantly written. I loved the episode when they they saw Frasiers' Jewish girlfriend and mother fighting and all those scenes with the chair. They were basically a married couple.

One bit that I didn't mention but was nice was Niles and Daphne's baby being called David, after the co-creator of Frasier who died on 9/11. That was a lovely scene.

It had all the makings ready for another 'Frasier'. I'm glad they didn't do it (or haven't yet) but it was so fantastically written.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly the end of the show but the season finale to season 8 of Grey's Anatomy had me weeping like a baby.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Not exactly the end of the show but the season finale to season 8 of Grey's Anatomy had me weeping like a baby.

It regularly has me crying anyway, that was 10x worse though!
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "There is a book called 'Hank Kingsley.'" But there's a new chapter; and you(!), sir, are not in it. And you(!), sir, are not in it."
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    mccaffep wrote: »
    In terms of Finales that hit you hard, there are 2 sorts : 1 - those that upset you because you are sad they are ending & 2 - those that anger you because of the manner of their ending
    1. The final episode of Mash upset me, all those characters I had watched & enjoyed for years saying their final goodbyes one by one. Other upsetting ones include It ain't half hot mum (for all its many faults the final episode when the concert party return home is rather poignant), Bilko, St Elsewhere, the original final episode of All creatures great & small (when James Herriot goes off to war), Star Trek : deep space nine,Magnum, the original final episode of Only fools & horses etc
    2 It is really annoying when you love a series, watch it only for years only for it to end in such a way that it makes you think "if I knew you were going to end like that, I wouldn't have wasted my time watching this show in the first place. Some prime examples of this are Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Dallas (the 2nd last episode is a better ending) Smallville, The Prisoner, Quantum Leap, One foot in the grave, Morse etc
    I thought Quantum Leap was near perfect. What didn't you like about it?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what is it about the Friends and Will and Grace finales that you dislike?
    For me Friends was spoiled by Ross and Rachel getting back together. Especially as (as I recall) she turned down a rare opportunity in Paris to do so. I wanted the characters to learn and develop and move on in their lives to greater things, not keep retrying the same relationships that had already been tried and failed before.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blake's 7
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawson's creek was too sad:( cant believe
    Jen died.
  • Aaron_HoltAaron_Holt Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    roseanne sticks in my mind somewhat.