Shocking snake attack in Canada

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    Does becoming a father automatically preclude one from enjoying snake related puns then?

No, but most new fathers don't tend to joke about the deaths of young children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The puns in this thread are in very bad taste, two children have died:(

Its awful isn't it. I find it quite sickening.
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.

So are some of the conspiracy theories. I hardly think the snake would have been given as the cause of death, if the snake was not the cause of death. Even expert opinion is sneered at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member

The puns are just very bad :eek:
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just find it a very odd sense of humour considering I believe you are now a father.

The snake puns are nothing to do with the dead children though.
    No, but most new fathers don't tend to joke about the deaths of young children.

I'm not really a "new" father to be honest. My kids are two and a bit and nine months.

And I repeat - nowhere have I joked about dead children. Check back through the thread. You won't find a single joke about a dead child. Just crap snake puns.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member

But now you're a father Hugh you must never ever make jokes on threads that may contain anything about children at all. EVER!
    ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not really a "new" father to be honest. My kids are two and a bit and nine months.

And I repeat - nowhere have I joked about dead children. Check back through the thread. You won't find a single joke about a dead child. Just crap snake puns.

I'm sorry but that's just rubbish. The puns are on a thread about the deaths of two young children by a snake, they aren't on a thread about snakes.

Its not just you but imo its nasty and inappropriate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did this snake kill TWO kids?

Not buying it.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but that's just rubbish. The puns are on a thread about the deaths of two young children by a snake, they aren't on a thread about snakes.

Yes, and the last series of Blackadder was set amongst the slaughter of WW1.

Ergo ............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But now you're a father Hugh you must never ever make jokes on threads that may contain anything about children at all. EVER!
    ;)

Well I must be odd then because I would never find humour in the deaths of two young children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well imo it isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Yes, and the last series of Blackadder was set amongst the slaughter of WW1.

Ergo ............

Which was the best part of a hundred years ago not yesterday and afaik weren't actual characters. Imo there's not much comparision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well imo it isn't.

We'll agree to disagree then.

Is there no limit though? baby P for example? Daniel Pelka?
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    Agreed.

So are some of the conspiracy theories. I hardly think the snake would have been given as the cause of death, if the snake was not the cause of death. Even expert opinion is sneered at.

No cause of death has yet been established. The results of the post-mortems haven't been released yet.

Expert opinion isn't siding with any interpretation of events.
    It's feasible, but unlikely, seems to be the consensus.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/its-very-very-puzzling-snake-expert-mystified-by-new-brunswick-python-attack/article13610814/comments/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll agree to disagree then.

Is there no limit though? baby P for example? Daniel Pelka?

I haven't joked about any dead children though. I really don't know how many more times, or in what other forms, I can say this to you.
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    No cause of death has yet been established. The results of the post-mortems haven't been released yet.

Expert opinion isn't siding with any interpretation of events.
    It's feasible, but unlikely, seems to be the consensus.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/its-very-very-puzzling-snake-expert-mystified-by-new-brunswick-python-attack/article13610814/comments/
    However, Neil Ford, a biology professor at the University of Texas at Tyler who specializes in snake behaviour, said pythons that are exploring can coil around people without biting them. He said it’s theoretically possible that the snake wrapped around both boys at the same time.

“It could be that kind of an accident where the snake got in where the kids were and they were just something to hold onto. And then when the kids tried to get away, [it] squeezed tighter,” he said. “Even a single adult would have a tough time uncoiling a large snake if it wanted to hold on

Whose consensus? From your link. I posted another one earlier saying similar; hence my 'sneer' remark.

And, why are reports saying that it was the snake, if it wasn't the snake. It is the most likely explanation. Not the one some people want, but the most likely, however improbable!
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Well I must be odd then because I would never find humour in the deaths of two young children.
    Nor would I but he isn't joking about the death of two young children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whose consensus? From your link. I posted another one earlier saying similar; hence my 'sneer' remark.

The quoted experts. The consensus seems to be that the events as described are 'theoretically' possible, or 'feasible', but not something they would normally expect from experience.
    And, why are reports saying that it was the snake, if it wasn't the snake. It is the most likely explanation. Not the one some people want, but the most likely, however improbable!

It can't be said to have been the Snake until the post-mortems are concluded. Then it becomes definitive.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    How did this snake kill TWO kids?

Not buying it.

I don't think it's for sale anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some illuminating new details emerging -

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/08/06/python-believed-to-have-killed-young-new-brunswick-brothers-may-be-illegal-in-province/

The snake wasn't being kept in the store downstairs.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, this story seems a bit far fetched enough as it is, but the hole in the roof is just ridiculous. How did that happen? Would a snake be capable of doing something like that? This really doesn't add up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I retract anything I said about the man. I didn't know he had a son staying there as well, and didn't know about snake behaviour etc.

Poor kids, though. How unlucky can you get that a snake escapes from it's tank the same night you're staying over and it also falls through the ceiling and kills you? :(:cry:

Life is so horrible at times.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »
    OK, this story seems a bit far fetched enough as it is, but the hole in the roof is just ridiculous. How did that happen? Would a snake be capable of doing something like that? This really doesn't add up.

From the post above it seems that the snake was on the same floor as the children not in the shop. It says the tank was locked but the snake got out through a ventilation pipe which was attached to the top of its tank.

Im just guessing, but i have the image of a metal pipe running the length of the ceiling and out of the house. So in theory the weight of the snake inside the pipe could have ripped it from the ceiling, leaving a hole. If the pipe then broke (or was made up of individual segments which seperated) the snake would be free to roam.

That sounds more plausable than the snake climbing up two stories of ventilation pipe. If the tank was high enough, it probably wouldnt have far to travel vertically before it was at ceiling height.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    This is really shocking. So unnecessary. What are people thinking keeping creatures like this in pet shops in the first place? I loathe pets shops for any animal; but, to keep a boa contrictor or python cooped up since 2001 in a small space? What do they expect. I sincerely hope the poor creature has been put out of its misery.

Yes, I hope that this killer snake is now put down by a vet as it's clearly demonstrated a capability for killing human children. As for the pet shop owner, l hope he faces punishment if any laws or regulations have been violated.
  • Kel'ThuzadKel'Thuzad Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read about this tragedy and it really upset me. I think even if they had been awake they would have still perished as there is no way they could have fought off that snake.

I've been reading up on this particular breed of python and I honestly think if it was me in that room (no weapons just the furniture) in the room then I would definitely fancy my chances of emerging victorious. One thing is for sure if I did go down the snake would definitely no it's been in a fight and would probably die of its injuries.