Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Now here's a truly tragic query :eek:

Does anyone on here have a cordless vacuum cleaner? ( either G-Tech Ram or Dyson or any other kind?) if so, what do you make of them? I keep wanting to get one but can't quite believe they're as good as the ads say!

Okay, back to basics....what do you think, John??! :p:D

And on that note.....

Night all :yawn:

Sleep tight :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Lindy xx

sorry Lindy
    i have a in house vacuum cleaner
    plug the tube into the wall
    and it all disappears down into the basement

i also have a Dyson but not a cordless one, which i love :D

Perhaps Which mag has written up a report on the cordless ones, might be worth a look :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow:eek: - send our Georgy a medal :D- and please help out next time I get American friends over who are determined to understand cricket!
    It was nice to see John tweeting - now does it give us any clues to his location - if he was in Oz he was pulling an all nighter! :sleep:
    Oh well - if he wants to break cover, I expect he'll let us all know.

why thank you Giddykipper,
    if we are giving out medals, can i also have a chest to pin it on :D

love to help with any of your American friends questions about cricket
    and if i can't answer
    i shall just go to a higher authority
    and ask my Dad :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all.

I agree with you Giddy, think georgy should start a career as a cricket consultant! I do wish John would break cover though, would love to know what he is doing with himself.

We used to have a cordless vacuum but we gave it up. It just didn't do a good job. My o/h had a 15-year old car hand-held vacuum and it worked better than the one we bought. Give me my tank Meile any day. Works much better than the heavy upright Sebo we were pressured into buying by our ex-cleaner. It is so annoying - the hose is very short so we can't clean ceilings or tops of the lights - have to do those with one of those telescopic dusters! BAD BAD buy.

Anyway, how are we all today?

very well
    hope you are to,
    will you be watching the US open
    i know you like the Tennis :D
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Morning nyannie :) Morning all :)

This is the kind of thing I am thinking of:

http://www.gtechonline.co.uk/airram/?gclid=CLGPwpKsnbkCFTMRtAodIX4AYw

Now I know it's ridiculously expensive for what it is - no dusting tools for example - but I just love the look and sound of it :o Anyone got or tried one?? :D

Meanwhile back to the laptop for a bit of a catch up on the emails I haven't looked at over the weekend...........

If it doesn't have dusting tools or something to clean stair carpet I wouldn't touch it - sorry! All it will do is floors - no skirting boards, no cupboards, no stairs, no ceilings, no upholstery or curtains. If I am spending money, want it to do everything!

Have had my lunchtime ruined as I can no longer get channel 48 - Food Network UK. MY TV reset itself as there is a new freeview channel and Food Network is lost!:cry::cry::cry: Well, guess I'd best get on with cleaning the house!!!!
  • Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Wipes brow
    ok i,m going to try and explain this to you :D
    it was all to do with time left in the match

test cricket last for 5 day and 5 days only, so if you lose a day to rain, thats it, you can't make it up.
    and each team bats twice

so on day one, Australia won the toss and decided to bat, not a hard choice due to the oval wicket, its new hard and flat, so as long as you see off the new ball, which will move in the air and be faster, it should be easier to bat on. But you have to remember that the wicket is not going to stay like that, after day 4 and 5 with people running on it, its going to deteriorate and make it harder to bat.

so day one, Australia finish the day with 307 runs for 4 wickets(thats Batsman out)

so on day 2 Australia continue to bat most of the day, and
    decide to declare on 492 for 9 wickets,(this is a good score) now they could of continued until they lost all of their wickets, but they wanted to put England in to bat for the last
    evening session, they did this hoping to take some early wickets of England, remember England would be facing a new ball, with cloudy and dark condition.

but the day finished england with 32 runs for 0 wickets

Day 3

England bat the day and finish 247 runs for 4 wickets
    so we are still 245 behind

Day 4 is rained off

Now Day 5

all 3 result are still possible, win, lose or draw , but the draw is the most likely this is the last day.

After all England are still on their first innings batting
    so we go into bat our first target is, we need to get to 286 to avoid the follow on this means if our batsman don,t make this target before we are all out, they can put us back into bat straight away and try to bowl us out again for less than Australia opening innings, this would be great for the aussies , because of the time limitation

so England bat in the morning and finish at 377 all out, so we have avoided the follow on, so thats good. but we are still 115 behind

Now Australia go in and bat now they could just take the draw, bat slowly and run out the day, but they would still like to try for the win, so they go out and bat in the afternoon, go aggressive and try to get as many run as they can and quickly, they are running out of time, but doing this you are going to lose wickets they get 111 for 6 and then declared, which give them some time, but not much, to bowl England out for less than 227

so Australia leads by 227
    England have a choice when they go into bat, go for the draw and just slowly bat out the day or go for the win by getting over 227 with aggressive batting, but thats a risk you can lose wickets that way and off course the game if Australia bowl us out for less than 227

so the tweets are all about Shane saying we play negative cricket, going on about would we be prepared to lose the game, by going for the win, or just be negative and happy for the draw. In the end we played it by ear, we were scoring runs with out to many wickets going down, and nearly made the target for the win, i think we were sitting at 207 with time left in the match, but then it was called off, for bad light.
    so a draw :D

wipes brow again :D
    i hope this helps :D

this has helped considerably ...thank you very much.....

the tweets now make sense.

I have been to the Oval, for a wedding, and it was a lovely place, but I really don't understand cricket that well...so thank you again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evening all.......we have a sebo and quite like it......its good for dog hair...but agree its too heavy for stairs etc....

mum & dad had a wall hoover system in their last house and now have a robot one, which is cordless...which they love... but it does need a lot of cleaning out !!!! So id so go for it.....it looks interesting...
  • Options
    Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

I had a lovely evening at the party. My o/h was embarrassing in his boredom and his remarks about noise.. Think I will go by myself next time. The friends had dinner in a marquee and had a magician, great singer - and an Elvis impersonator. Felt very privileged to be invited.

Wonder how the cricket is going ? England need to shore up their top order batting.

Has anyone else discovered Channel 61 on Freeview? Spent yesterday afternoon re-watching Winds of War. They also have some half-decent films too. Can't find a schedule for them anywhere.

Well, wonder what John is up to these days? No pictures, no information - I am getting very frustrated with the lack of information :mad:

Goodness, just catching up. You've all been busy I'm back three pages! :D

I think you've found True Entertainment nyannie, have some good stuff on there at times. I loved The Winds Of War, everytime I discover it on one of the 'Entertainment' channels it's always well into the series. I must try harder to note when it starts again.
    You'll find listings for the channel here nyannie, http://www.truemovies.tv/tvguide/index.aspx?cID=3&selDay=0 hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it doesn't have dusting tools or something to clean stair carpet I wouldn't touch it - sorry! All it will do is floors - no skirting boards, no cupboards, no stairs, no ceilings, no upholstery or curtains. If I am spending money, want it to do everything!

Have had my lunchtime ruined as I can no longer get channel 48 - Food Network UK. MY TV reset itself as there is a new freeview channel and Food Network is lost!:cry::cry::cry: Well, guess I'd best get on with cleaning the house!!!!

Food Network is now on channel 49, day and night. Hope you can find it again.

Must confess I get really confused with Freeview as it seems to constantly reset itself and channels disappear for a day and then reappear. My tv reverts to DTV when my Sky box isn't on and sometimes half the channels are blank. :confused: At least I know where I am with Sky. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to catch up on thread and my emails, been a bit busy over the bank holiday.

Will have to do it later as the football's just started, come on Arsenal just need to keep a tight back four and we're in the Champions League again. :) Hope I'll still have some nails by the end of the evening.

Catch you later, much later knowing me. :D

Have a good evening everyone.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Trying to catch up on thread and my emails, been a bit busy over the bank holiday.

Will have to do it later as the football's just started, come on Arsenal just need to keep a tight back four and we're in the Champions League again. :) Hope I'll still have some nails by the end of the evening.

Catch you later, much later knowing me. :D

Have a good evening everyone.

Hi Lena, hope you're well :)

Good news for the footie fans here.....wins for Arsenal and Liverpool (after a nail-biting second half and extra time!) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    very well
    hope you are to,
    will you be watching the US open
    i know you like the Tennis :D

Wish I could, but I don't have Sky. I am however going to the Masters at the Albert Hall and the top 10 at the O2 - got a great discount there as a Barclays bank user.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Must confess I get really confused with Freeview as it seems to constantly reset itself and channels disappear for a day and then reappear. My tv reverts to DTV when my Sky box isn't on and sometimes half the channels are blank. :confused: At least I know where I am with Sky. :)

Thanks for this. I will try it later. I knew someone on the thread would be able to help me. I am such a clutz when it comes to technology - I am lucky I can use my mobile phone!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Well, hopefully I have made my last trip into town until after our holiday. Bought a soft bag which can squish into Easyjet's measure - have to remember not to take too much.

Just need to get some Ovalite (for my POTS) and I am DONE!!!! Even managed to get some film for my old camera which I am taking as well - give hubby something to use.

Just need to give house a really thorough clean and pack!!

Anyone following Great British Bake Off? I know a person who works on both that and Strictly. He said there were loads of letters objecting to Paul Hollywood's behaviour. Who else would they get though? I do love it, always feel inspired to start baking again. Will make some banana bread over the weekend - great to have with tea.

I'm out for most of the day with my neighbour so see you later.
  • Options
    GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Know what you mean about Freeview Lena - tells you there are new channels - takes ages to download them, and then there doesn't appear to be anything new - but a few channels go and play hide and seek with you..
    :confused:

Hope you and your neighbour have a good day out Nyannie ;)

And we can take a guess about what our favourite Aussie is up to today - involving cake with candles - or in his case, maybe a Maccy D with candles... :D
    Happy Birthday John! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

...we have freeview upstairs and sky downstairs....and I agree freeview is so confusing. Have they had a massive reset recently ? half of the programmes seem to have disappeared?

morning everyone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Happy Birthday John , hope you have a lovely day and are enjoying yourself....

love m xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Well, hopefully I have made my last trip into town until after our holiday. Bought a soft bag which can squish into Easyjet's measure - have to remember not to take too much.

Just need to get some Ovalite (for my POTS) and I am DONE!!!! Even managed to get some film for my old camera which I am taking as well - give hubby something to use.

Anyone following Great British Bake Off? I know a person who works on both that and Strictly. He said there were loads of letters objecting to Paul Hollywood's behaviour. Who else would they get though? I do love it, always feel inspired to start baking again. Will make some banana bread over the weekend - great to have with tea.

Apparently the Great British Bake off is a student favourite.

Its such a well made and fascinating show, very entertaining, and watchable. So I do love it, trouble is the level of cookery is so high. It doesn't exactly inspire me, but it does make me hungry for cake....:D

I spose in a way its lovely that they have kept Paul Hollywood, and not said anything at all about his personal life, cos although my opinion of him isn't currently that high::eek::p his personal life isn't really the same as his professional one..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday John, hope you're enjoying your day wherever you are. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Not long now nyannie, count down begins. :D

Wish I could be inspired to start baking again, I'm really not a fan of the kitchen. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

augusta92 wrote: »
    Apparently the Great British Bake off is a student favourite.

Its such a well made and fascinating show, very entertaining, and watchable. So I do love it, trouble is the level of cookery is so high. It doesn't exactly inspire me, but it does make me hungry for cake....:D

I spose in a way its lovely that they have kept Paul Hollywood, and not said anything at all about his personal life, cos although my opinion of him isn't currently that high::eek::p his personal life isn't really the same as his professional one..

Hi both :)

I saw the Great British Bake Off for the first time last night :o Really enjoyed it, though some of the creations were a bit of a flop eg the octopus! Did make me want to eat cake, though :D

Now I must be way out of touch because I've just had to look up Paul Hollywood and his behaviour. Oh dear.......

Funnily enough I commented last night that he has wonderful blue eyes, but that somehow I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (ie not at all!). Sadly it seems I was right :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Know what you mean about Freeview Lena - tells you there are new channels - takes ages to download them, and then there doesn't appear to be anything new - but a few channels go and play hide and seek with you..
    :confused:
    augusta92 wrote: »
    ...we have freeview upstairs and sky downstairs....and I agree freeview is so confusing. Have they had a massive reset recently ? half of the programmes seem to have disappeared?

Just don't understand it, mind you I just leave it to its own devices. Aerial's plugged into tv and it just goes to Freeview when Sky box is on standby.
    It just seems so random. :confused:

My son's inlaws can't seem to get ITV despite many so called 'experts' faffing about. Comes and goes, totally unreliable and no one seems to know why. :confused:

Think you're right augusta, they've added new channels and removed some old ones. I give up, just grateful I don't rely on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN

Hope you have a great celebration and that we may see you in the UK before too long.

Hope all good things for you

Have a great day!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just don't understand it, mind you I just leave it to its own devices. Aerial's plugged into tv and it just goes to Freeview when Sky box is on standby.
    It just seems so random. :confused:

My son's inlaws can't seem to get ITV despite many so called 'experts' faffing about. Comes and goes, totally unreliable and no one seems to know why. :confused:

Think you're right augusta, they've added new channels and removed some old ones. I give up, just grateful I don't rely on it.

Well, found out that the Food Channel is now on channel 41! Honestly, I am tired of having to retune my TV every time there is a new channel. Half the Freeview channels seem to be shopping channels - can't believe that Argos even has a channel. I do wish we would get one of the American news channels like CNN - we used to get it but don't know why it is gone.

Would also love something like National Geographic but guess that is asking too much.l
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We have Sky which I know is a bit pricey, but if we want anything other than Freeview, it's our only option as we have neither cable (for VM) nor BT Infinity here.

So....to me it's worth paying out, especially as I love sport so much. The only freebie we're getting at the moment is BT Sport, which I am loving, especially on the iPad :D
  • Options
    ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday John x Hi to everyone x