Options

Neighbours tampering with gas/electricity meter!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been feeling very suspicious with my new neighbours since moving in next door. They have been constantly tampering with their meters since moving in for the last couple of weeks. I have grown more suspicious when I woke up one morning to see a second meter box outside their house above the normal gas meter box. I have never ever seen a family spend so much time around their meters like the males of that family do. They are known around the neighbourhood of being heavy weed users so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I thought about reporting them to the UKRPA but my mum doesn't want me to because she's worried it'll be known that it's us who reported them. I never really cared that much until I read of the risk of fire/explosion when tampering with the meters.

It would be much appreciated of you could advise me on what to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's not your meter they are 'tampering' with, I wouldn't worry. If there is a physical extra box that can be seen from outside the house, it is unlikely to be anything illicit....
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    perhaps they` re putting credit on or checking what they`ve got left .
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Maybe they have had a key meter put in, maybe they have just had a new meter because the other one was knackered. Just do what you Mum says and ignore it, it has nothing to do with you.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like they've had a weed meter put in and that's illegal!
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    If it's not your meter they are 'tampering' with, I wouldn't worry. If there is a physical extra box that can be seen from outside the house, it is unlikely to be anything illicit....

Exactly the opposite I would have thought.

You can 'acquire' spare meters to fit in place of the original so that when it comes to meter reading time you swap them back over. Of course the original (and genuine) meter has not registered all the gas that has been used in the meantime so therefore you end up paying for a fraction of the energy that you've used.

Another way it used to be done was to take the original meter off and reverse the fittings so that it ran backwards in order to get the same result. Though this can't be done now with the updated meters.

Report them without a doubt for two reasons, one is your safety, and two is that they are stealing.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Sounds like they've had a weed meter put in and that's illegal!

:D

OP. mind your own business - it's amazing how little you notice about other people when you do that.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wont the metre reader not spot it when he comes to read it?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Wont the metre reader not spot it when he comes to read it?

You can buy elecy meters on ebay quite legally along with lead seals to make it look pretty much kosher and while it wouldn't pass a close inspection it'll pass most meter readers quick look to get the numbers and then onto the next house
  • Options
    sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it could be a check meter has been installed if they suspect the first meter is reading too high.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds to me like they were having trouble with their supply, so were checking on meters, then get new 1 installed , so check that out and you have them down as gangsters

over reaction maybe?
    dont you got tv? why you spying on neighbours anyway
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's not directly affecting you - the safest thing to do is to ignore it.

Once years ago there was a lad you'd often see hanging around - sometimes he would be talking to mates - sometimes he'd have a hessian bag with him and they'd be looking in the bag - because of the times, the area and the way the person looked I immediately thought 'drugs' -only to later discover not 'drugs' but pet 'ferrets'!

Sometimes - things aren't the way they seem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were having a chat with my other neighbour earlier this morning and she said the second box was installed by my next door neighbours as she saw it.

I have used Key meters before and you usually need one person to do it which takes a minute to do, not 10+ minutes.

Like I said I could care less but I'm just worried about our safety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicmars wrote: »
    We were having a chat with my other neighbour earlier this morning and she said the second box was installed by my next door neighbours as she saw it.

I have used Key meters before and you usually need one person to do it which takes a minute to do, not 10+ minutes.

Like I said I could care less but I'm just worried about our safety.

I've just re-read your first post - if it's gas that's another matter - is there no way you could get someone to check without your neighbours realising it's you -Also do you live in flats - if so is there no doorman you could ask?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I've just re-read your first post - if it's gas that's another matter - is there no way you could get someone to check without your neighbours realising it's you -Also do you live in flats - if so is there no doorman you could ask?

The only way is contacting the UKRPA which they say everything would be confidential but I still have that doubt in me.

No we live in a semi detached house

http://www.ukrpa.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Find out who manages the local elecy supply (the DNO) and give them a call saying you think someones messing with their property as everything upto and including the meter is their responsibility and they'll send someone around (its quite common from what ive heard)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the neighbour/living set up is such that it could have been someone else who reported or it could have been noticed by the gas suppliers I'd report it. In fact you could try asking them if they know anything about the meter, they may know something already. You could ask them to say something had been noticed by the suppliers anyway and that would put you in the clear.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you suspect them of growing weed then a quick call to the police on the none-emergency number will result in the helicopter doing thermals over the house when it's next in the area. Might not be a quick fix, though.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say you saw a gas van pull up outside the address and two official-looking blokes were looking at their new box. This might spur some kind of action and you'd be in the clear.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just mind your own business. The meter's not going to explode.

Get a job or a hobby, perhaps. Or go next door and have a smoke - might sort you out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    Just mind your own business. The meter's not going to explode.

Get a job or a hobby, perhaps. Or go next door and have a smoke - might sort you out.

The meter might not explode but they'll of been pulling the main fuse and if it goes wrong you can have loads of metal flying at you at seriously high temperature...if you watch when they pull fuses properly they have on all sorts of protective gear (or they should have)
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    nicmars wrote: »
    I have been feeling very suspicious with my new neighbours since moving in next door. They have been constantly tampering with their meters since moving in for the last couple of weeks. I have grown more suspicious when I woke up one morning to see a second meter box outside their house above the normal gas meter box. I have never ever seen a family spend so much time around their meters like the males of that family do. They are known around the neighbourhood of being heavy weed users so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I thought about reporting them to the UKRPA but my mum doesn't want me to because she's worried it'll be known that it's us who reported them. I never really cared that much until I read of the risk of fire/explosion when tampering with the meters.

It would be much appreciated of you could advise me on what to do.

Thanks

Just call National Grid out 0800 111 999 and tell them you can smell gas. It may have miraculously disappeared when they come around but at least they can check "likely sources". (You could even suggest where the smell was strongest).

Don't be put of by some on here telling you to mind you're own business*. If the meter is being tampered with, you may well be in danger and in any case they are stealing (and we all pay for what thieves steal).

*People who say this tend to be of dubious character themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the box is harmless then those who installed it should have nothing to worry about. That's the way i see it
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your own utility bill in a normal range? I only ask because weed growers in this area have been know to tap into their neighbours supply. If your bills are unusually high that could be a route into asking your supplier to check things out.

Also wouldn't a new meter be fitted by gas engineers rather than house owners?
  • Options
    RoybandoRoybando Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Are they Eastern Europeans?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Also wouldn't a new meter be fitted by gas engineers rather than house owners?

Well it wouldn't be the home owner - but it would be a gas engineer either, gas meters are replaced by a third party company with essentially non-qualified staff (certainly not gas engineers).

This entire thread sounds absolutely ludicrous though - don't be nosey, let your neighbours get on with their life.

Fitting a second meter box is presumably in preparation for having the meters moved into that, and then filling the old hole up. It's FAR, FAR cheaper to fit your own meter box than get the gas board to do it, you simply fit the box, then get the gas board to come and move the meter to the new box - which is still pretty pricey!.