Options

Most hated chairman/owner ever

Comments

• Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    The Bhatti Brothers at Wolves did an amazing job of almost bankrupting what was then a huge club. The Venky's seem similar.

Yep - i was just reading the thread with the intention of mentioning the Bhatti brothers
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    There are many candidates for this award a lot of who have been mentioned already - as a LFC fan you think only of Hicks and Gillett but others have big claims too - Lowe, Venkys, Bates, Pompey people ..etc.

Others to throw into the mix - Reynolds at Darlo, Pete whatever his name was at Wimbledon who moved them to MK, the Hearts Lithuanian - and there's probably others too - maybe even Mike Ashley but no NUFC fans have come on here and mentioned him so maybe he is loved after all :D
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Swales was a bit of a c**t -as was Deadly Doug - they were entertaining to fans of other teams mind.

Re the Bhatti brothers - I remember David Coleman (a Wolves fan) out ranting Tony Butler on Midlands Today about them as he went to chair a meeting, which I think was when they left :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I was going to say Peter Johnson, but very surprised to see no mention of Maxwells... I guess Robert M was pretty popular for a while at Oxford, but then he goes off to Derby and puts his son Kevin in charge at Oxford, and Oxford fans suddenly see their club as some sort of feeder side. Goodness knows what other financial shenanigans went on.

So I'd have thought Kevin Maxwell in particular would be right up there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Robert Chase (Norwich) and Peter Swales (Man City) must be worth mentioning.

Man City fans would moan about anything. They pestered for years to get Francis Lee in, then five years later he was getting murders as bad as Swales from them. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Maxwell at Oxford is someone who very much divides opinion.

Started off by wanting to merge us with Reading, and wondered why both sets of supporters kicked off.

However, he then put some of his money into the club, got us in to the top division, won a trophy. If he had never come along, we would have remained firmly in what was then Division 3.

But then he lost interest in Oxford and took over Derby, pinching all our best players for a pittance and installing various family members in Oxford to get round the league ownership rules, before his impromptu moonlight swim sorted that out.

However, we have not been blessed with too many popular owners since then - ranging from the inept through to the plain greedy.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Trew at County - saved the club but destroyed it again by sacking Martin Allen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i struggled to find the club or the chairman but he was a Russian Billion/Millionaire and he took over a lowly team then got bored and walked away and the club went out of business.

Other than that Mike Ashley :D
  • Options
    TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Zmiler7 wrote: »
    i struggled to find the club or the chairman but he was a Russian Billion/Millionaire and he took over a lowly team then got bored and walked away and the club went out of business.

Portsmouth?
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,047
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Ray Trew at County - saved the club but destroyed it again by sacking Martin Allen

On the subject of Notts County owners, I'm surprised those Munto Finance con artists haven't had a mention before now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of Notts County owners, I'm surprised those Munto Finance con artists haven't had a mention before now.

At least Munto spent money on players such as Lee Hughes, Kasper Schemmiciel and Bishop who took us up
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Ronan Liddane

Chairman of Bedlington Terriers (*spits*)

He's worse than Skeletor, Shredder and Dr Robotnik combined!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's worse than Skeletor, Shredder and Dr Robotnik combined!

Worse than Mumm-Ra and Bowser too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    At least Munto spent money on players such as Lee Hughes, Kasper Schemmiciel and Bishop who took us up

They didn't get promoted whilst Munto owned the club though. My understanding was they weren't really paying anyone anything out of their own pockets, just fleecing the club and leaving behind a mountain of debt and unpaid tax as well as taking money out of it themselves. Could have been worse if Sven hadn't written off most of what was owed to him.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Russell, first at Scarborough, then at Exeter City. While at the former club he left their finances in such a massive hole that they were never really able to recover, and it ultimately resulted in them being bankrupted and dissolved in 2007.

At Exeter... well, this article sums things up far better than I could ever hope to. Although to make a long story short, he tried to destroy that club too before Uri Geller (yes, he of spoon-bending fame) shopped him to the police.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Robert Maxwell at Oxford is someone who very much divides opinion.

Started off by wanting to merge us with Reading, and wondered why both sets of supporters kicked off.

However, he then put some of his money into the club, got us in to the top division, won a trophy. If he had never come along, we would have remained firmly in what was then Division 3.

But then he lost interest in Oxford and took over Derby, pinching all our best players for a pittance and installing various family members in Oxford to get round the league ownership rules, before his impromptu moonlight swim sorted that out.

However, we have not been blessed with too many popular owners since then - ranging from the inept through to the plain greedy.

The best thing Robert Maxwell ever did was that time he decided to pursue a new career as a boat's anchor.
  • Options
    PenrosePenrose Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do any of you know enough of what goes on to hate these people?

The only reason people hate the Liverpool two is because they didnt spend like Man City and the club fell further down the pecking order.

Allan Leighton is the only one I don't like but that's because I work for the Post Office. He's a legalised white collar thief.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How has Mike Ashley not been mentioned yet? Always thought the geordies hatred of him made our hatred for Glazer look tame.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Bill Archer sold Brighton's ground without spending the money on a new one in 1997 meaning BHA had to play their home games in Gillingham, 70 miles away.
    We only got a proper stadium in 2011.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How has Mike Ashley not been mentioned yet? Always thought the geordies hatred of him made our hatred for Glazer look tame.

He's had a couple of mentions already in posts 28 & 34.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Without question there is an outright winner here imho
    Step forward Ken Bates

60s almost bankrupt Oldham

70s avoid jail by hiring thugs to destroy. Evidence after. His business went tits up

80s wanted to put electric fences round football ground

90s nearly bankrupted Wembley stadium in the stadium fiasco

00. Put leeds in division 3 charged fans some of the highest
    Prices in country (premiership prices fir 3rd division football)
    And at same time used club funds to usr a private jet to Monaco whenever he felt like it

A horrible horrible msn and a very unpleasant excuse for a human being

Don't like him as a person that's for sure!
    However, without his tireless work Chelsea might well have gone under. Just keeping us afloat was a major achievement and him bringing Hoddle to the Bridge was the turning point for the club.

As i said, not a nice man but a brilliant Chairman for Chelsea FC at that particular time in their history.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penrose wrote: »
    How do any of you know enough of what goes on to hate these people?

The only reason people hate the Liverpool two is because they didnt spend like Man City and the club fell further down the pecking order.

They didn't spend at all! The club went to the brink of administration under those clowns.

However despite being a Liverpool supporter I don't hate them as much as Moores and Parry, 5 minutes on Google would have put warning signs around Gillett and Hicks.

I'm not sure I could completely agree with the dislike per se of Venkys, more terrifying than hateful.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a purely numbers level, wasn't Man City's ex chairman Thaksin Shinawatra hated quite a bit by loads of people back in his homeland???
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,925
    Forum Member

Yes. Despite the fact he's put several hundred million of his own money in their club and probably stopped them going bust they seem to have an intense hatred for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/article/message-from-the-chairman-1066252.aspx

Here is a statement from Ray Trew. As glad as I am that he's apologising to the fans, the statement sounds like Trew genuinely believes in Kiowmnya