Asda stock 'Mental Patient' Halloween costume.

Comments

• egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither. Rubbish would be my assessment.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It reminds me of Leather Face from Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Not really Halloween category, more like horror film..
    Bad taste
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    That just looks rubbish...
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Praps it is PI but they probably do a witch costume which witches find offensive too.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek:If that's what they look like in real life I have new respect for my mate who is a mental health nurse.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Asda ‏@asda 8m

We removed the product from our website this afternoon but unfortunately the page may remain visible for a few more hours
    ---

Asda ‏@asda 17m

We'd like to offer our sincere apologies for the offence it's caused and will be making a sizeable donation to @MindCharity.
    ---

Asda ‏@asda 20m

We're deeply sorry one of our fancy dress costumes has upset people. This was an unacceptable error - the product was withdrawn immediately.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's deeply offensive to many people who suffer from Mental Health problems. The notion that they are all knife welding psychopaths is ill informed nonsense, and just stigmatises many people living, daily, with various mental illnesses.

ASDA have done the right thing in withdrawing it, but it should never have been there in the first place.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't see what the big problem is really it's only a costume
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    wow..
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Craptacular.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heheh. Like to see ASDA in the shit but can't say I give a toss about the feelings of mental patients.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Heheh. Like to see ASDA in the shit but can't say I give a toss about the feelings of mental patients.

That's nice.
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to see the costume :(
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's deeply offensive to many people who suffer from Mental Health problems. The notion that they are all knife welding psychopaths is ill informed nonsense, and just stigmatises many people living, daily, with various mental illnesses.

ASDA have done the right thing in withdrawing it, but it should never have been there in the first place.

Deeply offensive?.I don't think so.
    Why not go one step further and stop showing Halloween (Donald Pleasance etc).?.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StaceySky wrote: »
    I wanted to see the costume :(

It's easy to make your own.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Let's hope someone you know or yourself don't succomb to a mental health disorder. I have a number of issues myself diagnosed by a medical practitioner, and generally, people don't choose out of spite or selfishness to have such conditions.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm offended to be honest, you see crazy murdering doctors/surgeons all the time and no one kicks up a fuss. I don't see how this is any different
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asda 'mental patient' costume withdrawn from sale online

The £20 item included clothing covered in fake blood, a mask and an imitation meat cleaver

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24278768
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Don't really see the big deal myself.

It's a bit silly to try and ignore the fact that the whole "psycho inmate" thing IS a valid part of the horror genre.

Might as well whine that a "stabbed man" costume is offensive to anybody who's ever been involved in a knife attack.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what next, cancer patient costume?
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    Can't say I'm offended to be honest, you see crazy murdering doctors/surgeons all the time and no one kicks up a fuss. I don't see how this is any different

Indeed.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Deeply offensive?.I don't think so.
    Why not go one step further and stop showing Halloween (Donald Pleasance etc).?.

Not really the same thing though. A fictional film about an individual serial killer, hardly the same as using generic term "mental patient" to describe a blood soaked murderer. Most people who are being treated for mental health conditions are in no way violent, to stigmatise a group is eating. ASDA have admitted it's a mistake, and have removed it from sale - not sure there needs to be much more discussion.