Options

Series 5 - Masterchef Australia ...starts 15th Sept.

Comments

• Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    That was a brutal finish ....
  • Options
    Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »

I liked it.

None of the faux discussion & deliberations.

A refreshing change
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was brutal, but completely the right decision. It's master chef not bake off. Plus I'm not bragging but I can knock up a butter rainbow cake. I am neither god enough for master chef or bake off. Its not showing much skill.
  • Options
    Mer~maidMer~maid Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Enough already with the sob stories, its making an already mediocre season unbearable. Even Nolene got in on the act tonight.... Strewth!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member

They must have discussed throughout the whole cooking time that Lilliana was in no way the same league as the others and was going.
    If she had maybe adapted her visually stunning cake to taste to match ie lime in the green layer etc she might have stood a,very, remote chance.
    But heyho, she was the right choice.
    Glad we dont have 3D TV when Lucy carved her crackling:D
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn why did we have to lose one of the good un's when Kelty and Noleen are still in?:cry::(
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently watching last nights ep! So I've managed to catch up not too badly!
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what has happened to the Masterchef Australia facebook page?

https://www.facebook.com/MasterChefAustralia

Sorry, this page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

Hopefully it is just temporary
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats me caught up now. I'm still not sure if the right person went at the right moment etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Noelene , if a pigs head usually takes 3 hours ...there's a reason for that!

What luck that, obviously not knowing what people would choose to cook, they entirely coincidentally, for the first time ever, happened to have a pig's head lying around in the pantry.

Imagine that!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »
    What luck that, obviously not knowing what people would choose to cook, they entirely coincidentally, for the first time ever, happened to have a pig's head lying around in the pantry.

Imagine that!

I think they ask the contestants early on in the competition, what would you cook if......? Maybe they didn't know when, exactly, this 'theme' might come up but you could see they were relieved last night when told what the challenge was. There is no way the pantry could otherwise contain every single possible ingredient known to woman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    That was brutal, but completely the right decision. It's master chef not bake off. Plus I'm not bragging but I can knock up a butter rainbow cake. I am neither god enough for master chef or bake off. Its not showing much skill.

Kelty (thinks he) is. Or at least omnipresent in this series :D

Agree with that cake - I was thinking "What IS she doing?!" - perhaps if Lilliana had done a technical or posh twist on it, with natural flavourings and colours, some tempering, sugar work. Then again, maybe not - as you say, it's MCA not GABO.

And I'd just realised who she reminded me of - Shelley Duvall from The Shining.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm beginning to think Kelty will actually win. What a scary thought. :eek:

How ironic that only a few episodes ago the judges were moaning at Pip and Lucy for being emotional, then last night they were pushing everyone to be emotional. It was pretty clear that unless one of the others completely stuffed up, Liliana would be going home, but like she said, she couldn't have made anything other than that, so good for her.

And I nearly wet myself laughing every time Neha said sherbert :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimmypink wrote: »

Agree with that cake - I was thinking "What IS she doing?!" - perhaps if Lilliana had done a technical or posh twist on it, with natural flavourings and colours, some tempering, sugar work. Then again, maybe not - as you say, it's MCA not GABO.

OMG that's who she reminds me of!!!!!

Hadn't spotted that typo. Haha
  • Options
    BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the emotional hate. They wasted a good 6-7 minutes of the 41 minute running time talking about families.The series seems more about back stories than food. The food has always been the hero in past years.

Imagine being Kelty's wife and asking him to cook something and he goes 'No, once a year and that's your lot' - what a miserable sod of a husband.

I won't miss Lilianna but if she had nailed the cake she had a chance. Everyone else did a great job that didn't help but do a simple dish and nail it and the judges will like it. They loved Kate's coffee cake in S3 in exactly the same challenge.

Also I liked the ending. They knew that Lilianna was in trouble and no point messing around and stringing it out.
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    They must have discussed throughout the whole cooking time that Lilliana was in no way the same league as the others and was going.
    If she had maybe adapted her visually stunning cake to taste to match ie lime in the green layer etc she might have stood a,very, remote chance.
    But heyho, she was the right choice.
    Glad we dont have 3D TV when Lucy carved her crackling:D

Yep I guessed as much when she was the last to come up - I thought they'd do their usual stringing out and gathering a couple of usual suspects.... but it was just yep - go bye bye ... even the placard at the end just said "she got home in time to make a cake for her son's birthday"
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Imagine that!

I think they ask the contestants early on in the competition, what would you cook if......? Maybe they didn't know when, exactly, this 'theme' might come up but you could see they were relieved last night when told what the challenge was. There is no way the pantry could otherwise contain every single possible ingredient known to woman.

Yes I agree jimmypink, it's unreasonable to expect them to have everything and it's also not fair to the contestants to say 'cook what you like' but are unable because of the selection. They clearly asked ahead of time.
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

How ironic that only a few episodes ago the judges were moaning at Pip and Lucy for being emotional, then last night they were pushing everyone to be emotional. It was pretty clear that unless one of the others completely stuffed up, Liliana would be going home, but like she said, she couldn't have made anything other than that, so good for her.

It wasn't spelt like that though was it? I was laughing too (it's in Austin Powers, isn't it?)
    Yep I guessed as much when she was the last to come up - I thought they'd do their usual stringing out and gathering a couple of usual suspects.... but it was just yep - go bye bye ... even the placard at the end just said "she got home in time to make a cake for her son's birthday"

Lol kick someone when they're down :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    At least it appears that the show has finally gone over to more emphasis on individual challenges, rather then the endless team challenges which were allowing certain individuals who were not up to scratch to hide.

There are still a lot in the competition who do not appear to possess the basic skills required to produce the sort of finess dishes that you would normally expect of MCA. There are also a number of one trick ponies.
  • Options
    Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Richy_m_99 wrote: »
    At least it appears that the show has finally gone over to more emphasis on individual challenges, rather then the endless team challenges which were allowing certain individuals who were not up to scratch to hide.

There are still a lot in the competition who do not appear to possess the basic skills required to produce the sort of finess dishes that you would normally expect of MCA. There are also a number of one trick ponies.

Don't see how you can say that since the last 2 challenges paired them up & then another team challenge

Can't remember the last individual challenge that wasn't an elimination
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Don't see how you can say that since the last 2 challenges paired them up & then another team challenge

Can't remember the last individual challenge that wasn't an elimination

I was looking forward to the next mystery box (tomorrow), which is clearly an individual challenge, and presumably followed by an elimination.

I'm fed up of the pairs and teams challenges. People can hide or be rescued by others.
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always enjoyed the team challenges the most (the red v. blue ones).
    Blokee wrote: »
    Agree with the emotional hate. They wasted a good 6-7 minutes of the 41 minute running time talking about families.The series seems more about back stories than food.

This was one of the changes made to try to arrest falling ratings. When Matt Preston was asked before it started how this series was different, he said there's more back story, as though this were a good thing (in fact, they keep repeating the same back stories). Whereas, I think viewers just want likeable contestants, interesting challenges and good cooking.

P.S. Network Ten, which owns and screens MCA, reported a $285 million full-year loss yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking on Instagram at some of Andy and Ben from last series photos, and I saw they had some with some contestants from this series. I didn't click on them in case the comments gave any spoilers! I only saw one with one contestant at first and thought that had given it away, then I saw they had some others with other ones, so panic over! :)
    blowup wrote: »

It wasn't spelt like that though was it? I was laughing too (it's in Austin Powers, isn't it?)

I'm not sure, but it was hilarious :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

She never said "sherbert" at all. She said "sharbat" (which is the correct word for what it was that she was making)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She never said "sherbert" at all. She said "sharbat" (which is the correct word for what it was that she was making)

Sorry, I didn't see the spelling on the screen.
  • Options
    magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My hubby said she reminded him of Olive Oil - but then we realised it was Shelley Duvall who played Olive in the movie (with Robin Williams). :)