Options

Phone of 2013

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Go on then, which phone(s) did I leave out and why should they have been included. The 5S was the first to market with a 64bit processor which alone merits inclusion.

Well I would have included the note3 as it brought 4K video to the market. But your inclusion of the 5C clearly shows that you really wanted the poll to show something else .... I'm just not sure what it is.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Z1 should have appeared in this poll.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tech has stagnated because were in for a big form factor change. Manufactures are just waiting for all the tech to be in place. Middle to end of 2014 should see some real tech advances.

I don't think hardware has stagnated. As usual software struggles to keep up.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I don't think hardware has stagnated. As usual software struggles to keep up.

Hardware has got faster as usual - but until someone develops something new with it then it is not going to impress again. A slightly faster process or a higher resolution screen is not exciting anymore and just a incremental change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Z1 should have appeared in this poll.

Not based on what Finbar said at the beginning they shouldn't
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the media/our brains only able to 'follow' one competing brand I guess for many it will be the S4.
    But away from all the followers, according to many trusted pundits it was the G2.

"The device that brought something special to the table. "

Well, that's one heck of a darn weird list. Whats with all the non waterproof single view screen?
    Maybe you could also use the same list for 'dullest phone of the year'. The obvious winner is included I c.

The most interesting release of the year of course is that YotaPhone.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the S4 with all it's additional innovation over the S3 did nothing special what did the iPhone 5C deliver to be included in this list of 'phones of the year'?

Very strange list!
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless poll without several/many more devices plus the iToy 5C is just a redressed iToy5 from last year.

Poll choices obviously are limited by your opinion so kinda biased already......

Indeed. What if I feel like the S4 brought something new to the table and the 5C did not?

Oh wait I can't vote for that, because the OP decided he only wants phones he thinks are good to be voted for.

Personally I find being the first widely adopted phone to support all UK LTE networks out of the box to be more significant than putting last year's "Premium" model into a cheapo plastic case.

I also find maintaining removeable storage and battery in the latest devices to be more important, what's the point of a stunning large display if there's enough space in the built-in memory for a whole one HD movie or the battery dies before you're done?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    As I said. The excitement around the moto g is that it is cheap. Whether it is a game changer or not is to be seen. There are already cheap phones on the market, and they haven't become a game changer, and currently it is still the high value phones which sell the greater numbers.

It does demonstrate the stagnation around the smartphone market.

In the smartphone market, perhaps, but historically the best selling phones ever were generally ones that brought down prices to "cheap".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing against Samsung (hey I have just bought my son a S3 for christmas as he needs a lot of storage so that unfortunately ruled out the Moto G) I just don't think that this year they made the phone of the year.
    What's the point of a poll if you only care about what you think is the phone of the year? In fact, why ask at all?

Not one of the options you listed includes a memory card slot, yet for me that's one of the most important features.

On that basis I think every device you listed is crap. Whatever "new" things they brought to the table they made huge and unacceptable compromises in existing features to do it. No phone that does that could ever qualify for phone of the year in my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    *Orders loads more popcorn* (lots of money left after buying my £89 smartphone with 4.5", 720 x 1280, 326ppi, Gorilla Glass 3 protected screen :D).

Ah, the "I have more money than you" play.

Chances are I have more money in my bank account than you after buying my £0 smartphone with 4.99", 1080x1920, 441ppi, Gorilla Glass 3 protected screen, which has been smashed and replaced twice already in the last six months.

What's your point?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Pointless poll without several/many more devices plus the iToy 5C is just a redressed iToy5 from last year.

Poll choices obviously are limited by your opinion so kinda biased already......

yep +1
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to the Moto G as none of the others have bought much new to the table.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    What's the point of a poll if you only care about what you think is the phone of the year? In fact, why ask at all?

Not one of the options you listed includes a memory card slot, yet for me that's one of the most important features.

On that basis I think every device you listed is crap. Whatever "new" things they brought to the table they made huge and unacceptable compromises in existing features to do it. No phone that does that could ever qualify for phone of the year in my view.

It's not about which is best Or which phone you would buy. If it were I would only include the Nexus 5. It is about The phone of 2013. Which device brought something special to the table There are no phones with SD card slots that did this.
    I think the 5C may have been mistake to include but I haven't missed a device.

The Nexus 5 gives you amazing specs with pure Android.
    The 1020 simply fantastic bit of technology with the pure view camera. No other WP8 device counts.
    The HTC One showed how great Android hardware can be.
    The Moto G is enough smartphone for most people at bargain price.
    And the 5S opens the door 64bit computing for mobile.

So what have I missed and why?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Galaxy S4 is the first and (currently) only mainstream device with an 8-core processor.

The Xperia Z1 is (as far as I know) the only mainstream flagship device capable of normal operation up to a depth of 1m30 underwater as well as being completely dust-proof.

I'd say those are pretty worthwhile innovations to be honest and the devices should have been on the list. The current list seems a bit odd and lacking, plus the inclusion of the 5C which has absolutely no innovation over these two devices, totally undermines the point the OP was attempting to put across.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about which is best Or which phone you would buy. If it were I would only include the Nexus 5. It is about The phone of 2013. Which device brought something special to the table There are no phones with SD card slots that did this.
    Again, just because that's your opinion.

Again I think maintaining an SD card slot was the most important thing brought to the table.

By your reckoning you don't have to actually make a phone that anyone will buy or has any useful functionality at all as long as it does something "new".

What about all the phones with flexible displays? Those are things never done before in a mobile. Yet not particularly useful.

Or a 24" phone. Hell, I could tack a phone onto the back of my desktop monitor and say well that brings something new to the table. Totally bleeding useless though.

Seems like for you, "phone of the year" is anything that makes you go "ooh shiny".

For me it's actually something useful, a tool. I don't care how many brand spanking new spoon designs you come out with in a year, when all I want is a fork.

My cutlery of the year award will be going to the first person who brings me an actual working fork. Not those who think it "brings something new to the table" to make a spoon look like a fork.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say those are pretty worthwhile innovations to be honest and the devices should have been on the list. The current list seems a bit odd and lacking, plus the inclusion of the 5C which has absolutely no innovation over these two devices, totally undermines the point the OP was attempting to put across.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Took a while, but he finally got there :D

Got where?

To the conclusion that no-one buys an iPhone because, you know, they like the phone. But because they are I'll informed numpties who can't think for themselves?

Is that it?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tech has stagnated because were in for a big form factor change. Manufactures are just waiting for all the tech to be in place. Middle to end of 2014 should see some real tech advances.

What tech advances will be made possible by what form factor changes?

Design change for the sake of change certainly isn't anything innovative.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Agreed

Agree the Z1 throws in something different (at least for the Western market) but the S4 is just a polished up S3
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Agreed
    It's the OPs personal option that the S4 was boring extremely similar to the S3. You can disagree but it's a perfectly valid viewpoint!
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Agree the Z1 throws in something different (at least for the Western market) but the S4 is just a polished up S3

What does the Z1 add over the Z? Larger bezel with the size screen, faster processor, marginally better camera. Sony did to it precisely as Samsung did from the S3 to S4.

If I had to vote for anything on this list, it would be the Moto. Its the least "meh" of the lot. If it had expandable memory, it would be truly fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    What does the Z1 add over the Z?

Was the Z1 not the first dust proof and waterproof one - or was that the Z?
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Ah, the "I have more money than you" play.

Chances are I have more money in my bank account than you after buying my £0 smartphone with 4.99", 1080x1920, 441ppi, Gorilla Glass 3 protected screen, which has been smashed and replaced twice already in the last six months.

What's your point?

Jeez, do calm down. It was a JOKE. I have little money but use it wisely. I bet your Xmas parties are an absolute blast. :p