why do people like Jim???

Comments

• HectorMcClureHectorMcClure Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle is pretty much the opposite of racist or homophobic.

Yeah, it's just the disabled he goes after.

Many comedians make all kinds of jokes. Some people may find it funny and some people may not. However, it is part of a COMEDY act. It's not a real life situation. They're not walking up to people in the street and abusing them. If you're willing to pay to watch a certain type of comedian then you obviously know what you're going to get.
  • Helsbels46Helsbels46 Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's quite a few things that aren't shown on TV now - does everyone hate Patrick Truman in Eastenders because he was in Love Thy Neighbour?

Some people really need to get a grip and stop being offended for other people.

We are allowed to have an opinion & there were people who disliked Jim in his heyday who still dislike him now for reasons they have documented - so maybe you should be equally respectful (or as you put it "get a grip") for those who are not feeling the Jim-love.
  • HelenbemerryHelenbemerry Posts: 5,738
    Forum Member
    Dictamus wrote: »
    It's funny how beating your wife and throwing her down the stairs can be be brushed off so easily, whilst apparently it's unforgivable for a woman to dislike a racist, sexist homophobic man and be truthful about what she thinks of him, or even god forbid get angry with him.

The dynamic of how abusers are protected in our communities is being well-demonstrated here.

I don't think it's right for any man to abuse a woman - the point I am trying to make out is that he's been married 5 times, only one of these wives had claimed he abused her, they were only married for six months and it was 27 years ago. If he is the serial wife beater as many have claimed on here, he would have done it to all of them and still be doing it now.

Any woman can dislike whoever she wants, for whatever reason she wants. What I can't stand is that Louisa keeps playing the 'I'm a strong, intelligent, independent woman who is equal to any man', routine and then she is rude, arrogant and obnoxious under the guise that 'she's keeping it real' and then says 'how can he speak like that to a woman' or expect a man to eat the dog food rather than a woman. Totally hypocrisy especially when she is so fond of telling everyone how successful she is but doesn't actually work in any of the businesses she so say runs and that is was daddy and husbands money that started them all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find sad is that the people who claim to dislike someone for sexist, homophobic or racist things they supposedly did 30 years ago appear to be themselves the most intolerant of people because they cannot accept people for who they are now, they judge people based on other people's prejudice and on historical behaviour. I may be intolerant if the person was a murderer or rapist, but I prefer to see the good in most people and particularly those who have demonstrated that they have changed. I think you will find that the majority of people who like Jim not only like him because of the fact he is funny, but also because he has shown that he is a kind and caring person as well as being of strong character; but most importantly, he has shown that he has an incredible amount of self-control by not falling for one of the many baiting tactics of Linda, Louisa or Jasmine.

Ironically, I suspect that there will be many an argument thwarted because of Jim's example - those who have seen him walk away despite being unfairly targeted and think to themselves 'do you know what, I think I'll do that next time rather than react'.

So really the question should not be why we like Jim, perhaps it should be more a case of the questioner looking in the mirror and asking themselves how they can preach about tolerance and prejudice when they are so intolerant and prejudiced >:(
    Forum Member
    Helsbels46 wrote: »
    We are allowed to have an opinion & there were people who disliked Jim in his heyday who still dislike him now for reasons they have documented - so maybe you should be equally respectful (or as you put it "get a grip") for those who are not feeling the Jim-love.

Fair point but if people didn't like him as a comedian, no one was forced to watch him. He hasn't shown any signs of being sexist, homophobic or racist in the house and hasn't been aggressive to anyone so why does everyone keep bringing all that up?
    Forum Member
    Mcjjjunior wrote: »
    What I find sad is that the people who claim to dislike someone for sexist, homophobic or racist things they supposedly did 30 years ago appear to be themselves the most intolerant of people because they cannot accept people for who they are now, they judge people based on other people's prejudice and on historical behaviour. I may be intolerant if the person was a murderer or rapist, but I prefer to see the good in most people and particularly those who have demonstrated that they have changed. I think you will find that the majority of people who like Jim not only like him because of the fact he is funny, but also because he has shown that he is a kind and caring person as well as being of strong character; but most importantly, he has shown that he has an incredible amount of self-control by not falling for one of the many baiting tactics of Linda, Louisa or Jasmine.

Ironically, I suspect that there will be many an argument thwarted because of Jim's example - those who have seen him walk away despite being unfairly targeted and think to themselves 'do you know what, I think I'll do that next time rather than react'.

So really the question should not be why we like Jim, perhaps it should be more a case of the questioner looking in the mirror and asking themselves how they can preach about tolerance and prejudice when they are so intolerant and prejudiced >:(

Excellent post, should give a few people food for thought :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liking Jim just for putting up with Linda for those couple of weeks!

Seriously though, I've never ever been a fan of Jims. Sadly having some preconceived ideas, I genuinely thought he'd be one of the least I'd support this year :blush:.

However, in the house he's shown manners and patience despite whatever was thrown at him. He's also shown Linda and the girls more respect than he received from them.

Whatever Linda tried to make out, I don't think he's playing a game but perhaps genuinely trying to turn over a new leaf... and if so, good luck to him :)
  • Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mcjjjunior wrote: »
    What I find sad is that the people who claim to dislike someone for sexist, homophobic or racist things they supposedly did 30 years ago appear to be themselves the most intolerant of people because they cannot accept people for who they are now,

Well who is Jim now?

Do you have cognitive dissonance?

He has told you right from the start that he had no intention of being his real self as that would likely get him thrown out by BB. He said he promised his family he would not be himself and would act differently.

He didn't say he was a reformed character quite the opposite.

So what personality exactly are you supporting in there?

Maggie
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why people love Jim and are hating Linda?? I'm not saying linda was an angel and she did wind him up a lot but I don't think jim was a victim as people are making out especially as he made sexist comments about women and then brought up Linda's husband Brian. I have lost people who were absolutely everything to me so I know what its like and you never EVER bring them up in arguments as its the lowest you can go!! Why is everyone wanting sexist Jim to win????

Some people just like racist sexist shi.theads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point but if people didn't like him as a comedian, no one was forced to watch him. He hasn't shown any signs of being sexist, homophobic or racist in the house and hasn't been aggressive to anyone so why does everyone keep bringing all that up?

I didn't watch him - saw him on the TV didn't like his act & still don't like him. Some people (and I include myself) have seen him being passive aggressive in the house and being the starting point for some of the main arguments. We all see things differently.

I can sometimes change my opinion about people whilst they are in the house but can not see what you are seeing in him. And so...this is why people "keep bringing it up" - some people don't agree with your viewpoint and are just as entitled as you to say so!
  • SpasmodicSpasmodic Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Dictamus wrote: »
    It's funny how beating your wife and throwing her down the stairs can be be brushed off so easily, whilst apparently it's unforgivable for a woman to dislike a racist, sexist homophobic man and be truthful about what she thinks of him, or even god forbid get angry with him.

The dynamic of how abusers are protected in our communities is being well-demonstrated here.

That's crossed my mind quite a few times over this series. It's really upsetting to see that people can't or don't want to see him for what he is, or worse, that people do see what he is and think it's ok.
  • MithMarrMithMarr Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about everyone else but i am SO glad i'm not defined by the mistakes and f*** ups i made in the past.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maggie 55 wrote: »
    Well who is Jim now?

I already answered that in my post.
    Do you have cognitive dissonance?

Trying to use language that has the intention of putting someone down by trying to make yourself look more intelligent than them is similar to the behaviour you are criticising Jim for ;)
    He has told you right from the start that he had no intention of being his real self as that would likely get him thrown out by BB. He said he promised his family he would not be himself and would act differently.

He didn't say he was a reformed character quite the opposite

Firstly, he said it to Louisa to try to make her feel better when she was crying on the bed. If you watched the show over the last week you will have heard him say that. Secondly, none of them are being their real self in there as is true of every HM that has ever been in the BB house. As such, we can only 'judge' people/behaviour from what we see and hear taking into account editing (which applies to everyone). Thirdly, again, if you have been watching/listening, he said something along the lines of his family asking him to be 'Jim Davidson' the persona and he decided to be himself because he wanted people to see him for who he is not the persona they think he is. And fourthly, I make my own decisions, I am not swayed by newspaper stories, other FMs' opinions or other HMs. I don't need Jim to have to state that he is a reformed character to make a judgement that based on what we have seen, he is in fact a reformed character, or perhaps, controversially, he may not have been the character we all thought he was in the first place ;)
    So what personality exactly are you supporting in there?

Jim of course, the biggest personality in there ;)
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch him - saw him on the TV didn't like his act & still don't like him. Some people (and I include myself) have seen him being passive aggressive in the house and being the starting point for some of the main arguments. We all see things differently.

I can sometimes change my opinion about people whilst they are in the house but can not see what you are seeing in him. And so...this is why people "keep bringing it up" - some people don't agree with your viewpoint and are just as entitled as you to say so!

This is a forum and as such, is an area for discussion - I have not said everybody should agree with me and that if you don't, you are not entitled to say anything. I was simply asking why people feel the need to keep bringing up his past when he hasn't shown any signs of the things he has been accused of. Obviously everybody sees things differently, what a boring world we would live in if we didn't but I think with Jim and Linda it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. I admit I prefer Jim to Linda but don't feel the need to personally attack her because of it or judge her on anything but the way she's been in the house.

I think the best post I've seen on this forum is by mcjjunior:

Originally Posted by Mcjjjunior

So really the question should not be why we like Jim, perhaps it should be more a case of the questioner looking in the mirror and asking themselves how they can preach about tolerance and prejudice when they are so intolerant and prejudiced
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a forum and as such, is an area for discussion - I have not said everybody should agree with me and that if you don't, you are not entitled to say anything. I was simply asking why people feel the need to keep bringing up his past when he hasn't shown any signs of the things he has been accused of. Obviously everybody sees things differently, what a boring world we would live in if we didn't but I think with Jim and Linda it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. I admit I prefer Jim to Linda but don't feel the need to personally attack her because of it or judge her on anything but the way she's been in the house.

I think the best post I've seen on this forum is by mcjjunior:

Originally Posted by Mcjjjunior

So really the question should not be why we like Jim, perhaps it should be more a case of the questioner looking in the mirror and asking themselves how they can preach about tolerance and prejudice when they are so intolerant and prejudiced
    I think you are very rude in the way you reply to people who do not agree with you and I do not need you to repost a post that I've already read. Like I said we all see things differently and base our opinions on what we hold dear to ourselves. Perhaps a less aggressive tone & approach would be something you could look at?
    Forum Member
    I think you are very rude in the way you reply to people who do not agree with you and I do not need you to repost a post that I've already read. Like I said we all see things differently and base our opinions on what we hold dear to ourselves. Perhaps a less aggressive tone & approach would be something you could look at?

Rude and aggressive!! :confused:

I'm sorry I reposted something that you'd already read but mcjjunior has written a few posts so I was just pointing out the one I was referring to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rude and aggressive!! :confused:

I'm sorry I reposted something that you'd already read but mcjjunior has written a few posts so I was just pointing out the one I was referring to

Yes - that is how I have found you to be. As I said I don't need you to repost anything in this thread as I have been reading peoples' posts and their viewpoints - it is arrogant of you to think that you can change my mind by posting something you agree with to add weight to what you say.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Frankie Boyle is pretty much the opposite of racist or homophobic.
    Frankie has said lots of offensive things. Some would say he bullied Rebecca Arlington.

That is what comedy is.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like Jim because...He seems like somebody I might know, he seems to recognise his own faults, understand others differences, and laugh at himself and others. Oh, and he doesn't appear to be plugging himself as obviously as some others in the house.
    Forum Member
    Yes - that is how I have found you to be. As I said I don't need you to repost anything in this thread as I have been reading peoples' posts and their viewpoints - it is arrogant of you to think that you can change my mind by posting something you agree with to add weight to what you say.

Goodness me, I think I'm starting to see why we view things so differently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness me, I think I'm starting to see why we view things so differently.

There you go again! It may be worth looking at what you write before you post something - just a thought and it may mean that you don't come across as thinking you know better or have the 'right' opinion about what you see and others don't.
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    He can be funny, he can be nasty - his fans chose to ignore his nasty side.

His fans are well aware of his flaws, but personally for me I adore complex characters, discovering the shades of grey between the black and white. Seeing somebody who can come out of therapy and learning from life's lessons, understanding and sorting out their demons and then moving on to the next chapter.
    Forum Member
    There you go again! It may be worth looking at what you write before you post something - just a thought and it may mean that you don't come across as thinking you know better or have the 'right' opinion about what you see and others don't.

I haven't insulted you or called you rude, aggressive or arrogant as you have done to me.

I was merely putting my view point on a forum where people discuss things and you have chosen to take it the wrong way and are telling me how I should be writing and posting things.

I think I will do a Jim and just away in disbelief
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't insulted you or called you rude, aggressive or arrogant as you have done to me.

I was merely putting my view point on a forum where people discuss things and you have chosen to take it the wrong way and are telling me how I should be writing and posting things.

I think I will do a Jim and just away in disbelief

Oh good! :)
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MithMarr wrote: »
    I don't know about everyone else but i am SO glad i'm not defined by the mistakes and f*** ups i made in the past.

Ditto, far too many skeletons in my cupboard, but I would not change or regret any of them.