Options

Back to Camelot: Season 4 - Knights, Camelot, Agravaine!

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lem_1 wrote: »
    That sounds really great - why isn't it showing over here? *sigh*

And, is anyone actually still here? It's been very quiet recently......I've noticed tumbleweed blowing around the castle courtyard!

I'm here :)
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still here too! Just been mega busy and not watched anything Merlinish for aaaages :(

Eoin's still in Austin, Texas . . . has he not been there long enough now???
  • Options
    Lem_1Lem_1 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    *waves*
    Hello everyone, nice to 'see' you and know that you haven't been kidnapped by a horde of knights on horseback (now there's a thought! :))
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It barely counts as being Merlinish but I've just signed up to Amazon video and as well as all the Doctor Who I could want (rewatch Natarhi?), there's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm seriously admiring Anthony Head's performance, he's so loveable compared to Uther! I also get a lovely 90's nostalgia from the show, although I was a bit young for it at the time.
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *waves*
    Hello everyone, nice to 'see' you and know that you haven't been kidnapped by a horde of knights on horseback (now there's a thought! :))
    Well I wouldn't say no to that. ;)
    Lowri wrote: »
    It barely counts as being Merlinish but I've just signed up to Amazon video and as well as all the Doctor Who I could want (rewatch Natarhi?), there's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'm seriously admiring Anthony Head's performance, he's so loveable compared to Uther! I also get a lovely 90's nostalgia from the show, although I was a bit young for it at the time.
    Yay! :D Yes let's! I'll talk to Star, perhaps we could do the first library one tomorrow. :D

I never watched Buffy when it was on but I've just checked and it's available on Netflix too, perhaps we could have a (re)watch of that. Would anyone be up for it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »

Yay! :D Yes let's! I'll talk to Star, perhaps we could do the first library one tomorrow. :D

I never watched Buffy when it was on but I've just checked and it's available on Netflix too, perhaps we could have a (re)watch of that. Would anyone be up for it?

I would happily have a re-watch of Buffy, I've got the full box set but, as you say, it's on Netflix anyways which makes life so much easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen Buffy :blush:
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, is anyone actually still here? It's been very quiet recently......I've noticed tumbleweed blowing around the castle courtyard!

That pesky Merlin! He's done a runner and left not only tumbleweed blowing round the castle courtyard but my stable in an awful mess too. >:(

Um...I'm still here too, just not got much to say on the subject of Merlin, although - and I say this to provide myself with a well-deserved kick up the backside - I am working on a Merlin story at the moment. I have been, on and off, since January 2013 <sigh> One day, it will be finished. :blush:

Oh look! A herd of flying pigs! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh - and perhaps more to the point - I have never seen Buffy either.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »

You should. It's a good show. You'll also see why for years there was talk of a spin off starring Anthony Head as Giles, the Watcher but it never worked out despite both Josh Whedon and Head wanting to do it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm up for DW whenever, don't mind which ep either :)
    I'd also be up for a Buffy (re)watch although I've got the bug now and I won't be able to watch just one episode a week! Particularly since Amazon seem to randomly expire programs and I've got 7 seasons to get through :D

I hadn't seen it before, although it was a big thing as I was growing up. Definitely worth digging out some clips of Anthony Head, it's a great performance and he gets in lots of good-natured jokes at the expense of the Americans (which are equalled by the anti-British jibes from Buffy)

Typical quote courtesy of imdb:
    Giles: I just think it's rather odd that a nation that prides itself on its virility should feel compelled to strap on forty pounds of protective gear just in order to play rugby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »

Well, if you haven't you might want to check out this show called SALEM, it will star Janet Montgomery (Mithian).

http://www.dailyactor.com/2014/01/interview-janet-montgomery-salem/

Interview: Janet Montgomery Talks Her New Series ‘Salem’: “I’d never read a character that interested me as much”
    By Kristyn Burtt on January 21, 2014

One of the most fascinating panels at this winter’s Television Critics Association panel was for WGN America’s new scripted series Salem. The press inquired about the fact versus fiction angle and how the network planned to honor the real Salem Witch Trials.

Even though the press gave creator Brannon Braga a hard time at the panel, the cast seemed to embrace the nature of the series. It’s also a show that should resonate with fantasy and historical fans.

Daily Actor sat down with Janet Montgomery during a roundtable discussion to talk about the series and what it’s like working with a new cable network.

What’s your first thought when you read the script?

Janet Montgomery: Well, I read the script and I think that I’d never read a character that interested me as much as I thought was in my reach. I thought there’s always been a part of me that struggles with very powerful women and maybe it’s my age or my stance. I think I have a people-pleasing thing where I’m very smiley and I’m very friendly. So to play something like this, I was like I want to challenge myself and I want to tap into this maturity and this womanhood with this character. And then I met with Brannon, he was in London and he sold me on the whole concept of the show and the whole world and, yeah, I was in. I’ve also, you know, the fact that it’s a new cable network. To work in cable TV, all the shows that I’m watching right now are all cable. I thought this is a really exceptional opportunity. You know? To be part of something new.

How has it been working with them being a new network?

Janet Montgomery: To be honest, it’s been great so far. We’ve shot one episode. I’m blown away by the amount of money that’s gone into it. I’m not gonna lie, I’m being paid a fortune. [She says jokingly.] No, the sets are unreal. I can’t… people have said that to me before I would’ve been like, “Oh, great. Great sets,” but this is a world. It’s like they built a village. Like you can go inside, you can… I could sleep there if I wanted to. I won’t, but I’ll think about it.

It’s easier to get into character obviously.

Janet Montgomery: Yeah…hey don’t have to shoot in a certain way because there’s no actual back to the front of this house or whatever. It’s like it’s all there. That is like a big obstacle to overcome. You know?

There seems to be some strong horror elements. Can you talk about what that brings to the show?

Janet Montgomery: Well, I think the horror stuff, I love horror movies and I also think that the horror fans are probably the most loyal out there for sure and they really know what they like and they wanna see it. And I think this is a TV show that… it’s not just horror and gore, but we’re not afraid to shock people and that’s why I wanted to do it. I was like, “How are they gonna do this?” Thinking, “Ooh, can they really say that? Is that politically correct or whatever?” And then I was like, “I love it that it’s not.” But I come from England and we make TV shows that other countries wouldn’t. Like America, yeah, America wouldn’t show boobs before 8pm. WGN won’t either, but I think that kind of taking risks and I think the shows that have really worked and the shows that I wanna watch, the stories I wanna see, are risky. I mean, starting with The Sopranos right up to Breaking Bad, which the whole world was gripped. And it’s a risky story. I mean, he’s cooking meth.

As far as the female aspect of the character, it comes across as a very strong female element here, which is you guys talked about a little bit, that hadn’t been done before. Can you elaborate a little bit on that as far as the female element?

Janet Montgomery: I get what you mean. I think what it is is like it’s hard when you’re trying to do a grounded performance and relate to everything if you’ve suddenly got something supernatural. Because you’re like, “Well, I’m not a witch so how do I relate to this?” And I think the idea about feminism and in today’s world and being, you know, you look back at women in history and the way they were treated to what we have now. If you take a witch, like a woman who has orgasms, who’s sexual, who wants to speak her own mind, who’s smart, but has no right to any of those things, is treated like below men and has absolutely no right to her voice or her opinions, you think no wonder you would turn to something where maybe the devil is saying no you do have a voice or no you can be sexual. Because maybe that’s… maybe what would be so bad if they actually took over? Would it be like, you know, women would be equal or women take over and men would be treated like shit. Who knows. But it was that kind of element that I related to.

Can you talk about the evilness of your character, Mary Sibley?

Janet Montgomery: Because I do not believe that evil comes from nowhere and I think a lot of people that do bad, it’s because they have no choice. They’ve taken enough from the world and they’ve been shat on enough to finally say, “You know what? No. **** you,” and it happens all the time. It’s like it’s such a common thing that you look at some of the nastiest people in history and it’s because they’ve been prejudiced against them… persecuted. Yeah, exactly. And even if you go to Margaret Thatcher, like the shit that she went through. People have a lot of things to say about her, but, at the same time, from where she came from and why she was probably like that was because people were like, “You’re a woman. You don’t know what you’re doing,” so then she took it too far and got really nasty.

Salem premieres on April 20 on WGN America for a 13-episode run.

http://salem-fans.com/

And, she looks much prettier in that photo than she did as Mithian... sexier! :o

If WGN shows it on line, I might take a look.
  • Options
    Lem_1Lem_1 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I would happily have a re-watch of Buffy, I've got the full box set but, as you say, it's on Netflix anyways which makes life so much easier.

Oh, I'd do a Buffy rewatch, I have about 60 Buffy episodes on the sky box that need watching.

Tut, tut, c'mon you two, you've missed out. I never got the Angel love but Spike was certainly worth watching :D
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    You should. It's a good show. You'll also see why for years there was talk of a spin off starring Anthony Head as Giles, the Watcher but it never worked out despite both Josh Whedon and Head wanting to do it. :)

Shame that spin off never happened - I'd have loved to see a bit more of Giles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a funny coincidence that the Buffy rewatch thread has been resurrected, and with no input from any of us! Skimming the posts, I can see that there are a lot of spoilers in there for anyone who hasn't ever seen the show before, so I'll be staying out of it.
    Just watched the episode where Angel's secret is revealed, really tense stuff :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm up for DW whenever, don't mind which ep either :)
    I'd also be up for a Buffy (re)watch although I've got the bug now and I won't be able to watch just one episode a week! Particularly since Amazon seem to randomly expire programs and I've got 7 seasons to get through :D
    Well we were going to do the Library ones as an introduction to River weren't we. That seems as good a place as any to start, I just need to find them somewhere online for Star and then we can pick a night.
    I hadn't seen it before, although it was a big thing as I was growing up. Definitely worth digging out some clips of Anthony Head, it's a great performance and he gets in lots of good-natured jokes at the expense of the Americans (which are equalled by the anti-British jibes from Buffy)

Typical quote courtesy of imdb:
    Yes I remember it being a thing when I was growing up, but for some reason it was not something I ever tried watching.
    Oh, I'd do a Buffy rewatch, I have about 60 Buffy episodes on the sky box that need watching.
    So maybe we could do Buffy then, seeing as most people like it. Avi and Smint would you be up for giving it a shot?
    It's a funny coincidence that the Buffy rewatch thread has been resurrected, and with no input from any of us! Skimming the posts, I can see that there are a lot of spoilers in there for anyone who hasn't ever seen the show before, so I'll be staying out of it.
    Just watched the episode where Angel's secret is revealed, really tense stuff :)
    Just went and had a quick look (without reading anything properly) it seems like that thread is more a general discussion of the whole show rather than a focused rewatch. If people did want to do a Buffy rewatch we could legitimately start our own thread I think. Or we could just keep it in here for now and see how we get on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I remember it being a thing when I was growing up, but for some reason it was not something I ever tried watching.

So maybe we could do Buffy then, seeing as most people like it. Avi and Smint would you be up for giving it a shot?

My husband used to watch it a bit, if I recall. As much for Buffy herself as for anything else. I think that was probably why I gave it a miss. >:(

Yes, I'm willing to give it a go, if there is any way of seeing it online. I am not subscribed to anywhere though. :(

Oh and Lowri - careful you don't give spoilers yourself. I have no pre-knowledge at all, except the title of the show, the 'fact' that Buffy is buff (!) and I think Anthony Head plays a librarian or something? So saying 'the episode where Buffy's secret is revealed' counts as a spoiler for me (but not much of one, I admit). :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's been running for a while with sporadic posts in it but had gone quiet over the past week or so.
    Just went and had a quick look (without reading anything properly) it seems like that thread is more a general discussion of the whole show rather than a focused rewatch. If people did want to do a Buffy rewatch we could legitimately start our own thread I think. Or we could just keep it in here for now and see how we get on.

It is yes, it's not really a rewatch thread at all, other than someone started it because they'd just rewatched the show, it's very definitely a general discussion thread with loads of spoilers and more of a "my favourite episode/season was x y or z."

I think a proper thread of its own would probably be better. The mods didn't seem to care about us doing that for Merlin so I can't see they'd be bothered with a Buffy one either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and Lowri - careful you don't give spoilers yourself. I have no pre-knowledge at all, except the title of the show, the 'fact' that Buffy is buff (!) and I think Anthony Head plays a librarian or something? So saying 'the episode where Buffy's secret is revealed' counts as a spoiler for me (but not much of one, I admit). :)

Sorry, I was being careful, I nearly put what the secret was but stopped myself :). It was also Angel's, not Buffy's secret and I think you'll agree if you start watching that it's obvious from the word go that he's hiding something!
    It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway!) that I'll only discuss the episode in question if we were to start a proper rewatch.

I'd be grateful if we could start soon because I can try and slow down my watching a little so that I'm not so far ahead but I'm rather addicted at the moment (an episode a day) :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I was being careful, I nearly put what the secret was but stopped myself :). It was also Angel's, not Buffy's secret and I think you'll agree if you start watching that it's obvious from the word go that he's hiding something!
    It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway!) that I'll only discuss the episode in question if we were to start a proper rewatch.

I'd be grateful if we could start soon because I can try and slow down my watching a little so that I'm not so far ahead but I'm rather addicted at the moment (an episode a day) :blush:

BIB Sorry, need to read more carefully!

So, is there any where we can view this? I just looked on youtube and found a series 1 trailer, but no whole episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband used to watch it a bit, if I recall. As much for Buffy herself as for anything else. I think that was probably why I gave it a miss. >:(

Yes, I'm willing to give it a go, if there is any way of seeing it online. I am not subscribed to anywhere though. :(
    I will see if I can find it anywhere online. My guess is that you will be able to watch it for free if you're not worried about using slightly dodgy sites, it's not on youtube or dailymotion for example. If you want it officially I think you would have to pay. :( (Although amazon currently has the used box set for £3, plus £1.20 postage, which is pretty cheap)

I think I know what the secret is just from general background information at the time. But if we start a thread we can make sure to include 'no spoilers' in the title, in case other people want to join in. :)

Well if we can find a way for people without Netflix/Prime/DVDs to watch it we could start this Saturday? But as long as you remember the episodes well enough to discuss them each week, or were happy just watching them again really soon, it wouldn't matter if you were ahead. I have blasted through so many shows on Netflix since I got it a few months back, so I know the temptation. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not subscribed anywhere either, but I suspect I could run to Netflix (£6 a month?) as long as it connects via the Wii

I'm out on a Tuesday night but could catch up later in the week if you choose that day

As for news on the boys . . . Cravelonline says: It’s too soon to call the fates of “Believe,” Crisis,” “Undateable” and “The Night Shift.” :( (although it might bring him home again)

So here's a photo of Eoin jumping to cheer everyone up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not subscribed anywhere either, but I suspect I could run to Netflix (£6 a month?) as long as it connects via the Wii

I'm out on a Tuesday night but could catch up later in the week if you choose that day
    Netflix is good, but it does draw you into watching stuff. Think Amazon Prime is comparable price-wise, I've no idea how they compare in terms of what's available to watch.

Tuesday is for Dr Who watching. ;) I think we should go for Saturday with this, like we used to do with Merlin, but I don't mind if people prefer a different day.
    As for news on the boys . . . Cravelonline says: It’s too soon to call the fates of “Believe,” Crisis,” “Undateable” and “The Night Shift.” :( (although it might bring him home again)

So here's a photo of Eoin jumping to cheer everyone up :)
    :D Good photo. Although I don't know if I'm more impressed by that beach and sky or Eoin. :o:blush::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix is good, but it does draw you into watching stuff. Think Amazon Prime is comparable price-wise, I've no idea how they compare in terms of what's available to watch.

I don't know anything about Netflix but I don't think Prime has got as many videos. They've recently added Life on Mars and Sherlock though so it's getting better. Although, it's worth bearing in mind that they do take some things down when the licence runs out so I'm wary about getting too excited about one particular show.
    I got Prime when it was on the £49 a year deal because it also comes with free delivery and now they've got rid of Super Saver (near enough), it seemed worth it (which I'm sure was their plan when they introduced the £10 min spend). It's currently £79 for the year (£6.58/month) which is more than I'd consider for just the streaming service (I'm a bit tight like that and already have most things on DVD!), but with the free postage as well it might be worth it. For the £79 you also get access to the Kindle lending library but you obviously have to have a Kindle for that (which I don't :()
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about Netflix but I don't think Prime has got as many videos. They've recently added Life on Mars and Sherlock though so it's getting better. Although, it's worth bearing in mind that they do take some things down when the licence runs out so I'm wary about getting too excited about one particular show.
    I got Prime when it was on the £49 a year deal because it also comes with free delivery and now they've got rid of Super Saver (near enough), it seemed worth it (which I'm sure was their plan when they introduced the £10 min spend). It's currently £79 for the year (£6.58/month) which is more than I'd consider for just the streaming service (I'm a bit tight like that and already have most things on DVD!), but with the free postage as well it might be worth it. For the £79 you also get access to the Kindle lending library but you obviously have to have a Kindle for that (which I don't :()

OK, I'll look at them both - and I do have a Kindle!

I just hope it doesn't encourage me to spend more on Amazon :D

I might not be around this Saturday (husband's birthday) and Mum came out of hospital yesterday but still isn't very well, so doubt we'll be going far
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Back in the day, I used to go to these sites for shows in the US. They still might work and they're free or at least will give you one hours worth of free tv a day .. which you can download pretty easy...